Giro, stage 4

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, May 12, 2004.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Very disorganized sprint. Fassa wasn't able to set up a dominant train so
    everybody and his mother thought they had a chance. Looked bad from 5 km
    out. Domina didn't put Cipo in the right place and Bad Things ensued.

    What the heck happened at the bridge 15 km out? All of sudden guys were
    going off into the ditch.

    Tags:

  2. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Very disorganized sprint. Fassa wasn't able to set up a dominant train so
    > everybody and his mother thought they had a chance. Looked bad from 5 km
    > out. Domina didn't put Cipo in the right place and Bad Things ensued.
    >
    > What the heck happened at the bridge 15 km out? All of sudden guys were
    > going off into the ditch.

    Cipo crashed! I couldn't tell from the live feed how bad it was- hopefully
    not bad enough to bail.

    I also hope that this year none of the stages has a deadman's curve 150
    metres before the finish line, like last year's stage, also where cipo
    crashed. Maybe the organizers learned from that disaster!

  3. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Very disorganized sprint. Fassa wasn't able to set up a dominant train so
    > everybody and his mother thought they had a chance. Looked bad from 5 km
    > out. Domina didn't put Cipo in the right place and Bad Things ensued.
    >
    > What the heck happened at the bridge 15 km out? All of sudden guys were
    > going off into the ditch.

    It was so wet I had no doubt something bad would happen. But then, as the
    sprint was really being unleashed, someone (and it looked like Cipo himself,
    to me) just kinda looked over, strayed off their line and sat up. Mayhem
    ensued. Looked like a newbie kind of mistake to me ... not something you'd
    expect to see in a pro race.

    Bob C.

  4. On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:04:24 -0400, psycholist wrote:
    > someone (and it looked like Cipo himself,
    > to me) just kinda looked over, strayed off their line and sat up.

    No, read the CN report, it was Aug (thought it might be Lombardi, last
    man and all, BTA I think he wouldn't be so foolish).

  5. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Very disorganized sprint. Fassa wasn't able to set up a dominant train so
    >> everybody and his mother thought they had a chance. Looked bad from 5 km
    >> out. Domina didn't put Cipo in the right place and Bad Things ensued.
    >>
    >> What the heck happened at the bridge 15 km out? All of sudden guys were
    >> going off into the ditch.
    >>

    >It was so wet I had no doubt something bad would happen. But then, as the
    >sprint was really being unleashed, someone (and it looked like Cipo himself,
    >to me) just kinda looked over, strayed off their line and sat up. Mayhem
    >ensued. Looked like a newbie kind of mistake to me ... not something you'd
    >expect to see in a pro race.

    It wasn't Cipo but his team mate and main leadout Andrus Aug, who slowed
    down all of a sudden, turned to the wrong side while hitting Cipo with his
    back wheel. Cipo slipped also because he was exactly on the middle road
    white line. But his main injuries came from the fact that first Pospeyev
    and then Tonti hit him with their bikes before falling hard.
    Pospeyev was the only rider to be hospitalized, but it's not known yet
    whether Mario will start tomorrow.

  6. "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Very disorganized sprint. Fassa wasn't able to set up a dominant train so
    > > everybody and his mother thought they had a chance. Looked bad from 5 km
    > > out. Domina didn't put Cipo in the right place and Bad Things ensued.
    > >
    > > What the heck happened at the bridge 15 km out? All of sudden guys were
    > > going off into the ditch.
    > >

    > Cipo crashed! I couldn't tell from the live feed how bad it was- hopefully
    > not bad enough to bail.

    14 stitches in his ankle. Wait and see, but I don't think riding with
    that many stitches in a place where the skin has to flex that much is
    going to work very well, also the threat of serious infection.

    > I also hope that this year none of the stages has a deadman's curve 150
    > metres before the finish line, like last year's stage, also where cipo
    > crashed. Maybe the organizers learned from that disaster!

    Organizers never seem to learn from those disasters, they happen
    almost every grand tour. The problem with lots of these little towns
    is finding a wide street on the way in that doesn't twist and turn the
    way the goat path it was based upon did centuries ago.

  7. > 14 stitches in his ankle. Wait and see, but I don't think riding with
    > that many stitches in a place where the skin has to flex that much is
    > going to work very well, also the threat of serious infection.

    He's got a date at The Toor Day Frantz to be concerned with as well,
    suspect he's done, Sadly. Any bets on when McEwwwwwan fades?

  8. Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:04:24 -0400, psycholist wrote:
    >
    >>someone (and it looked like Cipo himself,
    >>to me) just kinda looked over, strayed off their line and sat up.

    > No, read the CN report, it was Aug (thought it might be Lombardi, last
    > man and all, BTA I think he wouldn't be so foolish).

    CN say Aug and I understand (JJ set us right here..) Lombardi isn't the
    last man anymore rather a setup guy....

  9. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Organizers never seem to learn from those disasters, they happen
    > almost every grand tour. The problem with lots of these little towns
    > is finding a wide street on the way in that doesn't twist and turn the
    > way the goat path it was based upon did centuries ago.

    Did you really see some footage? This time it was a wide, long street
    without twists and turns. That's why McEwen said he liked it more
    when there are more turn because then a large amount of would-be
    sprinters are already eliminated in comparison to long,wide, right
    finishes where they seem to come from everywhere. So don't blame the
    organizers this time, maybe blame the wether or Aug. The first stage
    was much more dangerous.

  10. David Cowie

    David Cowie Guest

    A. Aug thinking Cipo was going to come past on the right and was
    looking for a slow down exit to the left.

    Cipo thinking that Aug was going start accelerating through the tangle
    and be on his wheel.

    Different speeds = oops.

  11. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >> Very disorganized sprint. Fassa wasn't able to set up a dominant train so
    > >> everybody and his mother thought they had a chance. Looked bad from 5 km
    > >> out. Domina didn't put Cipo in the right place and Bad Things ensued.
    > >>
    > >> What the heck happened at the bridge 15 km out? All of sudden guys were
    > >> going off into the ditch.
    > >>

    > >It was so wet I had no doubt something bad would happen. But then, as the
    > >sprint was really being unleashed, someone (and it looked like Cipo himself,
    > >to me) just kinda looked over, strayed off their line and sat up. Mayhem
    > >ensued. Looked like a newbie kind of mistake to me ... not something you'd
    > >expect to see in a pro race.

    > It wasn't Cipo but his team mate and main leadout Andrus Aug, who slowed
    > down all of a sudden, turned to the wrong side while hitting Cipo with his
    > back wheel. Cipo slipped also because he was exactly on the middle road
    > white line. But his main injuries came from the fact that first Pospeyev
    > and then Tonti hit him with their bikes before falling hard.
    > Pospeyev was the only rider to be hospitalized, but it's not known yet
    > whether Mario will start tomorrow.

    Mario was hospitalized too, but I will say he did start and he did
    finish S5 (without revealing the results). I will be interested to
    see the DNS/DNF list... Pospyeyev is an important man for D'Amore and
    Rodriguez.

    -Sonarrat.

  12. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Very disorganized sprint. Fassa wasn't able to set up a dominant train so
    > everybody and his mother thought they had a chance. Looked bad from 5 km
    > out. Domina didn't put Cipo in the right place and Bad Things ensued.
    >
    > What the heck happened at the bridge 15 km out? All of sudden guys were
    > going off into the ditch.

    Magnus Backstedt's view, which provides wonderful insights:

    http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/6056.0.html

    -Sonarrat.

  13. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Sonarrat wrote:
    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Very disorganized sprint. Fassa wasn't able to set up a dominant train
    >> so everybody and his mother thought they had a chance. Looked bad from
    >> 5 km out. Domina didn't put Cipo in the right place and Bad Things
    >> ensued.
    >>
    >> What the heck happened at the bridge 15 km out? All of sudden guys were
    >> going off into the ditch.

    > Magnus Backstedt's view, which provides wonderful insights:
    >
    > http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/6056.0.html

    I saw a little replay of the Stage 4 crash and noticed that one of the
    riders bunny-hopped Cipo's bike.