Giro Stage 7: The big shake-up

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, May 17, 2003.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    The helmets started coming off at the bottom of the Terminillo, 14km from the top. Mazzoleni set a
    fearsome pace that whittled the peloton down to the crucial few. Missing the cut were Frigo and
    Aitor Gonzalez. Ugh. Pantani was able to cross the gap and make the lead group, but the effort was
    too great and he fell back. Casagrande went soon after. Perez Cuapio didn't have that smile on his
    face that he wore all last year. Popovych looked good for a long time, but Simoni and Garzelli are
    the real deal. Simoni showed good aggressiveness and when he made his move with perhaps 6 or 7 km to
    go, only Garzelli could respond. Noe was able to cross over but the duel was pretty much between the
    other two.

    Tags:

  2. Us

    Us Guest

    Huge effort by Noe to hang on to Garzelli and Simoni....... they shook him twice and he kept
    coming back

    Robert Chung wrote:
    > The helmets started coming off at the bottom of the Terminillo, 14km from the top. Mazzoleni set a
    > fearsome pace that whittled the peloton down to the crucial few. Missing the cut were Frigo and
    > Aitor Gonzalez. Ugh. Pantani was able to cross the gap and make the lead group, but the effort was
    > too great and he fell back. Casagrande went soon after. Perez Cuapio didn't have that smile on his
    > face that he wore all last year. Popovych looked good for a long time, but Simoni and Garzelli are
    > the real deal. Simoni showed good aggressiveness and when he made his move with perhaps 6 or 7 km
    > to go, only Garzelli could respond. Noe was able to cross over but the duel was pretty much
    > between the other two.

  3. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "us" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Huge effort by Noe to hang on to Garzelli and Simoni....... they shook him twice and he kept
    > coming back

    It wasn't the death rattle though...

    Jeff

  4. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:
    > The helmets started coming off at the bottom of the Terminillo, 14km from the top. Mazzoleni set a
    > fearsome pace that whittled the peloton down to the crucial few. Missing the cut were Frigo and
    > Aitor Gonzalez. Ugh. Pantani was able to cross the gap and make the lead group, but the effort was
    > too great and he fell back. Casagrande went soon after. Perez Cuapio didn't have that smile on his
    > face that he wore all last year. Popovych looked good for a long time, but Simoni and Garzelli are
    > the real deal. Simoni showed good aggressiveness and when he made his move with perhaps 6 or 7 km
    > to go, only Garzelli could respond. Noe was able to cross over but the duel was pretty much
    > between the other two.

    The big surprise to me is that even after orchestrating such incredible carnage, Mazzoleni finished
    only 37 seconds down. One would have expected him to explode once he pulled off.