Giro Stage 7: The big shake-up

Robert Chung

Guest
The helmets started coming off at the bottom of the Terminillo, 14km from the top. Mazzoleni set a
fearsome pace that whittled the peloton down to the crucial few. Missing the cut were Frigo and
Aitor Gonzalez. Ugh. Pantani was able to cross the gap and make the lead group, but the effort was
too great and he fell back. Casagrande went soon after. Perez Cuapio didn't have that smile on his
face that he wore all last year. Popovych looked good for a long time, but Simoni and Garzelli are
the real deal. Simoni showed good aggressiveness and when he made his move with perhaps 6 or 7 km to
go, only Garzelli could respond. Noe was able to cross over but the duel was pretty much between the
other two.

Huge effort by Noe to hang on to Garzelli and Simoni....... they shook him twice and he kept
coming back

Robert Chung wrote:
> The helmets started coming off at the bottom of the Terminillo, 14km from the top. Mazzoleni set a
> fearsome pace that whittled the peloton down to the crucial few. Missing the cut were Frigo and
> Aitor Gonzalez. Ugh. Pantani was able to cross the gap and make the lead group, but the effort was
> too great and he fell back. Casagrande went soon after. Perez Cuapio didn't have that smile on his
> face that he wore all last year. Popovych looked good for a long time, but Simoni and Garzelli are
> the real deal. Simoni showed good aggressiveness and when he made his move with perhaps 6 or 7 km
> to go, only Garzelli could respond. Noe was able to cross over but the duel was pretty much
> between the other two.

The big surprise to me is that even after orchestrating such incredible carnage, Mazzoleni finished
only 37 seconds down. One would have expected him to explode once he pulled off.