Giro Tv Coverage - Well Done Eurosport !

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
For those of your fortunate enough to see Eurosport, we got to see an excellent
documentary last night about the classics season and behind the scene footage of Fassa, Davitomon, CSC and Discovery.
Interviews with the riders (Voigt, Hincapie, Patrick Lefevere, Bjarne Riis etc).
Superb stuff.

Then we got to see the entire prologue and Cippo riding the prologue in a pink
skin suit.

Well done to David Harmon and Dave Duffield and Eurosport.
Superb coverage.

limerickman said:
documentary last night about the classics season and behind the scene footage of Fassa, Davitomon, CSC and Discovery.
Interviews with the riders (Voigt, Hincapie, Patrick Lefevere, Bjarne Riis etc).
Superb stuff.

skin suit.

Superb coverage.

Is there any video archives for Eurosport footage out there on the web anywhere???

I dunno don't like the dutch voice over with Eurosport (danny nelissen, ex-racer). Sporza is to me THE program to watch cycling on......always indept and rider interviews, but heej not everyone speaks dutch;)

limerickman said:
Superb stuff.

skin suit.

Superb coverage.

limerickman said:
Superb stuff.
Yes, great one! There was half an hour long behinde the scene documentary before every stage at last year`s TdF as well! That`s great! I`m totally depressed for some time when TdF is finnished hehe..:rolleyes::)

limerickman said:
Superb stuff.

skin suit.

Superb coverage.

Well they needed to do something after the abysmal coverage of the Classics.

OH DEAR!

Did anyone notice something slipped into the commentary on Eurosport that will send chills of dread down all of our spines?

Yes, Harmon and Duffied are being replaced by Mike Smith in the last week of the giro for the mountain stages. Admittedly Sean Kelly will also be on board, but I think thats one step forward and two back.

wicklow200 said:
OH DEAR!

Did anyone notice something slipped into the commentary on Eurosport that will send chills of dread down all of our spines?

Yes, Harmon and Duffied are being replaced by Mike Smith in the last week of the giro for the mountain stages. Admittedly Sean Kelly will also be on board, but I think thats one step forward and two back.

Davids Harmon and Duffield have been excellent so far.
I hope Mike Smith will keep up the high standards.

Are you doing the W200 this year, Wicklow ?

limerickman said:

How you doing, Limerickman? Eurosport commentary team mentioned you'd had a bad crash...

limerickman said:

Limerickman,

I'd have to disagree - Mike Smith is a fairly awful cycling commentator - based on the standards of the two Davids, P Liggett and others. And Im not just talking about his knowledge - he is unable to identify riders, or give any decent insights. But he is also unwilling or unable to break off from talking about what he had for lunch to comment on serious breaks that are happening before our very eyes. He worked in tandem with S Kelly at Athens, and he may as well have handed the whole show over to the great man

Re the Wicklow 200, Im from wicklow but not living in Irl at the moment. And I dont have a road bike right now. So it has to be a more long term goal for me right now. How difficult do you consider it to be? Have you done it yourself?

micron said:
How you doing, Limerickman? Eurosport commentary team mentioned you'd had a bad crash...

Thanks for asking.

I am doing well. Recovering slowly and I hope to be back on the bike next week.

Yeah, I got a message from another member here, Fred C, who told me that he
mailed Eurosport and his friends there, and asked them to mention me on air.
Which was very nice of Fred C and Eurosport.

wicklow200 said:
Limerickman,

I'd have to disagree - Mike Smith is a fairly awful cycling commentator - based on the standards of the two Davids, P Liggett and others. And Im not just talking about his knowledge - he is unable to identify riders, or give any decent insights. But he is also unwilling or unable to break off from talking about what he had for lunch to comment on serious breaks that are happening before our very eyes. He worked in tandem with S Kelly at Athens, and he may as well have handed the whole show over to the great man

Re the Wicklow 200, Im from wicklow but not living in Irl at the moment. And I dont have a road bike right now. So it has to be a more long term goal for me right now. How difficult do you consider it to be? Have you done it yourself?

Yeah Wicklow I've done a few times and it's a great day out.
You need to have a good few miles in the legs to do it but it's not overly difficult.

I think the two Davids and Sean kelly are superb.
I just hope that Mike Smith can live up to their standards.
I thought he wasn't great doing the 2004 TDF, I have to say.

limerickman said:
I think the two Davids and Sean kelly are superb.
I just hope that Mike Smith can live up to their standards.
I thought he wasn't great doing the 2004 TDF, I have to say.
I've seen enough posts on the Eurosport message board to know that many people out there feel like I do re. MS. But what I don't understand is why they give the "flat" stages to their best commentators, and the decisive stages to one of their worst.

Anyhow, not having watched the Giro before, I am absolutely amazed how great it has been so far. And I think the organisors have made some bold decisions -with the number of tough finishes to stages in the first week, not to mention the evening time start to the prologue. Think they're trying to make up for the predictability of last years flats?