GIRO/Vuelta Organisers : they got it spot on

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
This is one for the forum to consider.

As a cyclingfan, I am fortunate enough to have access to the Giro/TDF/Vuelta each year through Eurosport.

Looking at 2004 and 2005 Giro and the 2004 Vuelta, I think the organisers of both races have created grand tours which put the TDF in the ha'penny place when it comes to entertainment/suspense.

The 2004 Giro was superb.
The 2005 Giro has been very very entertaining so.
The 2005 version has seen the inclusion of some tough climbs early on and the fact that the roadmen as opposed to sprinters are contesting the finishes reminds me of the TDF in the 1980's (which I was fortunate to see).

Ditto the Vuelta. As a race the 2004 version wiped the floor with the TDF as regards entertainment.

In fact thinking about the TDF, I can only recall three T'DF which have been truly entertaining (1987, 1989, 1996 and 2003 : that's four 1987 is in there because of Stephen Roches win which I don't expect others to consider as being an all time great TDF).
That's a pretty poor return for nearly 20 years viewing.

Do people here feel that the TDF organisers could take a leaf from the Giro/Vuelta organisers books ?

The reason that the TDF is boring is not because of the course, because of a certain Mr. Armstrong (not that I think it is boring but anyway)......If he would have focussed his whole season around the giro or vuelta it would also be boring. Same with Indurain and in couple of years someone new will stand up!
Having said this, the TDF could have some more uphill finishes. The reason why they constantly keep changing the course is to make more suspense.....but armstrong proved he can win at all courses. How would you make TDF more suspense?

limerickman said:

As a cyclingfan, I am fortunate enough to have access to the Giro/TDF/Vuelta each year through Eurosport.

Looking at 2004 and 2005 Giro and the 2004 Vuelta, I think the organisers of both races have created grand tours which put the TDF in the ha'penny place when it comes to entertainment/suspense.

The 2005 version has seen the inclusion of some tough climbs early on and the fact that the roadmen as opposed to sprinters are contesting the finishes reminds me of the TDF in the 1980's (which I was fortunate to see).

Ditto the Vuelta. As a race the 2004 version wiped the floor with the TDF as regards entertainment.

In fact thinking about the TDF, I can only recall three T'DF which have been truly entertaining (1987, 1989, 1996 and 2003 : that's four 1987 is in there because of Stephen Roches win which I don't expect others to consider as being an all time great TDF).

Do people here feel that the TDF organisers could take a leaf from the Giro/Vuelta organisers books ?

I'm with you, Limmerickman. I would like to see some big col's early in the Tour, followed by most of the flat stages, then the major col's with enough flat stages to the end to make a difference.
I know that the commercial realities don't favour having sections that may eliminate some of the sprinters early on, but it would certainly add to the drama.
The recent Tours have been so predictable that, save for the occassional adventure, if you miss watching or reading about a few Stages, it doesn't matter.
My 2 Baht's worth.
Eoin

MJtje said:
The reason that the TDF is boring is not because of the course, because of a certain Mr. Armstrong (not that I think it is boring but anyway)......If he would have focussed his whole season around the giro or vuelta it would also be boring. Same with Indurain and in couple of years someone new will stand up!
Having said this, the TDF could have some more uphill finishes. The reason why they constantly keep changing the course is to make more suspense.....but armstrong proved he can win at all courses. How would you make TDF more suspense?

If you look at the TDF since 1991, the first week of each TDF has been long flat sprinter stages.
Last year they threw in some pave.
Big deal.
The TDF has been predictable and boring (i know my cycling and I can tell you it has been boring, regardless of who does/doesn't win).

They could take a leaf out of the Giro/Vuelta book - throw in a climbing stage
earlier on for example.
They could decide to ban the use of earpiece communication betwen rider and car.
They could decide to limit assistance to riders from team cars.
There are plenty of ways that they could introduce to add suspense to what has become the most boring of the three grand tours.

I think that Giro/Vuelta provides more entertainment than the TDF.
Having watched the Vuelta on Eurosport since 1997 and the Giro since it started a couple of years ago, they have been consistently more entertaining than the TDF.

I agree. The Giro last year was fantastic and this year's has been even better. I think to some extent France isn't as friendly as Spain and Italy in terms of geography. France has its big mountains and hills all sorta tucked away in the corners, whereas in Italy and Spain they have some pretty nasty climbs spread out over the country.

But I agree that the TDF is very predictable. This year's Giro 'flat' stages have been great to watch because of all the drama towards the end. What Bettini did during stage one was sorta similar to Pozzato winning his stage in the tour last year, but the difference is that in the Giro, that sort of escape is quite frequent and makes great viewing :D

I would just like to see the Tour organisation do something a bit different in the first ten days of the race. They have settled into a very traditional pattern and I think it's getting a bit stale. I enjoy bunch sprints as much as anyone but ten days straight starts to get a little boring (Excepting the prologue and TTT of course.)

A couple of stages where there is a solid hill not far from the finish to bring the big men to the front or maybe a short little time trial or a split stage day could do the trick.
I think the main problem after that is the racing has gotten quite conservative and that's not the organisers fault. Maybe they could drop team numbers to eight so as there are less men to control the race. I think the days of guys like Merckx, Ocana and others lighting up mountain stages a long way from the finish are gone. The racing is too rigid. The organisers need to shake it up a bit.

Just thought I would add that I thought the 87 race was great! Roche versus Delgado was a terrific battle!
limerickman said:

I pretty much agree. It would be nice to see ASO try some innovation. I think I read somewhere of making the prologue a two-up time trial. I'd love that. And how about a little more pave? I think it was only like 2.4kms last year. I'd love to see a couple of big stretches of pave in the first week. The Tour has become very formulaic.

I also have access to EuroSport and have to say the first week of the Giro has been awesome.... the organizers have been putting a short sharp steep hill with about 5km to mix up the race... it makes from great viewing... there is also flat stages but they have chosen a road which is narrow which doesn’t allow the big trains to get moving.... The first week of the tour is very boring and has nothing to do with Armstrong although I will say that having a team as strong as USPS controlling the race hasn’t helped.

To see the top players at the Giro on the front on stage 7 was great to see and to see Cuengo contesting sprints in the very early stages makes this a great for viewing pleasure... watch and learn Mr. Leblanc....

...pity about the commentating on EuroSport.. does spoil it all.....

Yep first week of the tour is a sprinters ball and that could be changed by Le blanc, agreed;) (and also hasn't got to do with armstrong, i know that too:) ) However, the moment the road goes up, USPS (this year disco) controls the peloton sooo good that there can't be much done about that. And to think that Cunego or other GC contenders should have attacked armstrong is also kamikaze......his team would bring everything back. But hee 1 more year of armstrong kicking ass and you all can enjoy the TDF again;)

whiteboytrash said:
I also have access to EuroSport and have to say the first week of the Giro has been awesome.... the organizers have been putting a short sharp steep hill with about 5km to mix up the race... it makes from great viewing... there is also flat stages but they have chosen a road which is narrow which doesn’t allow the big trains to get moving.... The first week of the tour is very boring and has nothing to do with Armstrong although I will say that having a team as strong as USPS controlling the race hasn’t helped.

To see the top players at the Giro on the front on stage 7 was great to see and to see Cuengo contesting sprints in the very early stages makes this a great for viewing pleasure... watch and learn Mr. Leblanc....

...pity about the commentating on EuroSport.. does spoil it all.....