Giro Xen in the UK?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Calz, May 29, 2003.

  1. Calz

    Calz Guest

    Anybody seen these lids on sale *and* in stock? There seems to be a national shortage of them :eek:(

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

  3. Calz

    Calz Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 20:24:57 -0700, "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Anybody seen these lids on sale *and* in stock?
    >
    >Depends on how badly you want one. =)
    >
    >-John Morgan

    Well I'm not about to sell my right kidney or anything just wondered why everywhere seems to sell
    them but no bugger has one, I could import one from the states but it's all the hassle of finding
    somewhere that ships to the UK, has it in stock, then I get stung with some dodgy exchange rate,
    courior costs then the post office here slap me for the tax..

    I can wait :eek:)

    Steve

  4. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Well I'm not about to sell my right kidney or anything just wondered why everywhere seems to sell
    > them but no bugger has one, I could import one from the states but it's all the hassle of finding
    > somewhere that ships to the UK, has it in stock, then I get stung with some dodgy exchange rate,
    > courior costs then the post office here slap me for the tax..
    >
    > I can wait :eek:)
    >
    > Steve

    k.. I guess that answers my question. If you had shown a little more interest, it might be easier
    than all that. I'm sure the "in stock" issue wouldn't be a problem here... and the exchange rate
    is in your favor. The only thing I'm not sure about is the kind of tax you're talking about (I've
    heard that the UK has a tax for everything).

    -John Morgan

  5. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:5iVBa.55481$%[email protected]...
    > only thing I'm not sure about is the kind of tax you're talking about
    (I've
    > heard that the UK has a tax for everything).

    The tax part is easy. The uk is part of the EU, so the import tax scheme is more or less the same as
    Germany. Anything coming into the EU over a certain value (40EUR I think) get 10-20% duty slapped
    onto it. Then since you did not already pay VAT (in the EU), you get nailed for the VAT. So for
    anything imported from the states is:

    Unbelievably Cheap Price (you lucky bastards) + Insane shipping costs (can you say "profit center"?)
    + Duty (did I mention that they tax the shipping?) + VAT (and they tax the shipping AND duty, that's
    right boys and girls, they tax the tax)
    =
    might as well not bother

    American made stuff is outrageous (EUR60 - about 67$ US - for an Easton EA70) over here. Hayes Mags
    run about 500EUR. Magura is about two hours away from where I live. Magura brakes are usually a
    couple of bucks cheaper on Cambria than here. It galls me to see European made stuff (Marzochi,
    Giro, Magura, etc) cheaper on Cambria than it is over here. Usually it is not by much, but still.

    The only European made stuff that is reliably a lot cheaper here than in the states is DT Swiss.
    Switzerland is not in the EU, so go figure.

    -Dave

  6. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > The tax part is easy. The uk is part of the EU, so the import tax scheme
    is
    > more or less the same as Germany. Anything coming into the EU over a certain value (40EUR I think)
    > get 10-20% duty slapped onto it. Then since you did not already pay VAT (in the EU), you get
    > nailed for the VAT. So
    for
    > anything imported from the states is:
    >
    > Unbelievably Cheap Price (you lucky bastards) + Insane shipping costs (can you say "profit
    > center"?) + Duty (did I mention that they tax the shipping?) + VAT (and they tax the shipping AND
    > duty, that's right boys and girls, they tax the tax)
    > =
    > might as well not bother

    So you're telling me they know the contents of every package that goes to the UK? Do they actually
    inspect them, or do you just have to declare the contents on paper? And what determines the "cost"
    of an item? Would it be retail, wholesale, sentimental value? haha.

    There must be a way to beat the system.

    -John Morgan

  7. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:dH6Ca.56341$%[email protected]...
    > So you're telling me they know the contents of every package that goes to the UK? Do they actually
    > inspect them, or do you just have to declare the contents on paper? And what determines the "cost"
    > of an item? Would it
    be
    > retail, wholesale, sentimental value? haha.
    >
    > There must be a way to beat the system.

    My wife compares customs to ticks: useless bloodsuckers.

    They often (usually) open packages at the port of entry into the EU (not always the destination
    country). They will read the invoice/customs declaration and check it against the contents. If
    there is no invoice, they will hold it. I had this happen once with books coming from Amazon in
    the states.

    There are two ways to beat the system:

    1- Have it shipped to a friend in the stated. Have them send it as a gift with a declared value of
    $40 US. Whenever my mother sends bithday or christmas packages to my daughter, it is ALWAYS $40. The
    downside is that stuff sometimes dissapears in transatlantic mail and then you can only be insured
    for $40. With clothes and toys for a two year old, this is not a big $ loss, but you can't very well
    insure something for $500 and then write $40 on the customs declaration.

    2- Go ride Moab and have the stuff shipped to your hotel room. A Giro Xen would be below the "you
    must declare it value". You could bring stuff in for a higher value and just not declare it. You
    will probably get away with it as long as it is not a complete bike, but if you get snagged...

    -Dave