Girrafes?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by unifiend454, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. unifiend454

    unifiend454 Guest

    Tags:

  2. harper

    harper Guest

    I think giraffes are easier to ride than standard 20" or 24" unicycles.
    They are unusual at first because they are different and you feel like
    you're way up in the air. They're also harder to freemount. But the
    nature of the tall structure makes correction easier and control
    tighter. It's like the difference between trying to balance a ruler on
    your palm and a broom on your palm.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  3. silverfridge

    silverfridge Guest

    Buy one that u can alter the height of dramatically, cos it will be
    frickin dangerous to start off on a 10-ft one, but suck when u got
    better and only had a midget size,
    they wouldn't be too much harder, after u adapt to the change in
    momentum, but apart from that

    GOD SPEED!

    --
    silverfridge
    silverfridge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11533

  4. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

  5. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

  6. Brian O.

    Brian O. Guest

    unifiend454 wrote:
    > okay how hard are they to ride? and how do you start out.. I am thinking
    > about buying one

    Using the roof of my car to mount one, I was able to ride it perfectly
    fine on my first try after unicycling only since the fall. As long as
    you aren't afraid of heights you will be just fine. On the third day I
    had it, and after 20 minutes of attempts I was able to freemount it
    twice. It definitely is difficult to mount but riding it is easier than
    a normal unicycle. Unless you can get a really nice deal on one or plan
    to use it in performances I wouldnt spend the money as after a few
    weeks it wont be getting much use.

    --
    Brian O.

  7. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

  8. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    ntappin wrote:
    > sorry he jumps from a 9' to a 12'
    >
    > here is a picture of him doing it
    > [image: http://www.sparksstreetmall.com/images/busker4.jpg]

    Wow, I wonder how he would practice that... The 12' looks like its
    bending too.

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    _____________________________

    chosen wrote:
    > wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*

  9. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    well when I saw him, I dont remember it being that tall so I think he
    practiced originaly with a smaller giraffe. I was standing on a low
    street lamp and he wasn't much taller than me.

    --
    ntappin

  10. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    litldude2 wrote:
    > Wow, I wonder how he would practice that... The 12' looks like its
    > bending too.

    Yes, the frame is either bending a lot (which makes for a very dramatic
    photo), or it's already bent. I hope the frame can take it, or at some
    point he's going to get a big surprise!

    I used to do the mount from the 20" to the 6' in shows. That's just a
    variation on the freemount. The downside is sometimes the 20" falls
    where you don't want it to, and you might need to rock into it during
    your mount. But that happened fairly rarely when I did it.

    Going from a higher one to an even higher one would be very hard on the
    giraffe that gets dropped, and could be much worse in the way I
    described above. If you have an assistant to catch it, problem solved.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  11. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    Yeah he had audience members come up to catch it and when he got off of
    the 20" he rode straight forward instead of idling before going
    forward. Other than stuff getting in the way, how hard of a trick is
    it?

    --
    ntappin

  12. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    ntappin wrote:
    > Other than stuff getting in the way, how hard of a trick is it?

    "About that hard" he said, holding his hands approximately 30 cm
    apart.

    For more detail, a frame of reference might be handy. How much giraffe
    freemount experience do you have? How comfortable are you on giraffes?

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  13. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    Ok, so it's pretty relative then. I have non I was asking a more general
    question, like is it as easy as say a 180 on a normal uni or something
    along the lines of that. But I guess its not as easy as that

    --
    ntappin