Girvin Flexstem Parts help??

Rcyc58

Apr 18, 2006
Hello everyone,
New to the forums here and kinda new to riding. I purchased an Older Gary Fisher Zebrano about a year ago and ride about 3 -5 miles 4 to 5 nights a week. My question is, the bike is equipped with a Girvin Flexstem, which I really like. I thought I'd try and find the replacement parts to rebuild it and have found they are apparently no longer made. :(
Would anyone know of a place I might be able to find these parts. Hard to believe these aren't made anymore because it seems to work great. I'm also looking to purchase a Bike for my wife and would like to add this or something like it to her new one if there is something else out there like it.

Thanks for your input

Rcyc58

I can't help you, sorry.......................but this does raise a question in my mind: why don't road bikers use this system? It makes perfect sense for that application. It's light, simple. I'd use it.

benkoostra said:
I can't help you, sorry.......................but this does raise a question in my mind: why don't road bikers use this system? It makes perfect sense for that application. It's light, simple. I'd use it.
Well I was hoping someone might have a lead on these but maybe not. I've talked with a couple of people at different Bike shops and no luck so far. I'll just keep looking around.

Thanks
Rcyc58

Well I was hoping someone might have a lead on these but maybe not. I've talked with a couple of people at different Bike shops and no luck so far. I'll just keep looking around.

Thanks
Rcyc58

My Girvin Flexstem had side-to-side play in the handlebar and the elastomer shock absorber had shrunk so I had play there also. I think it was a bit hardened too, so wasn't doing much shock absorption.
Couldn't find any parts, so I jerry-rigged a pretty good fix.
HANDLEBAR PLAY:
1/ Remove the handlebar by removing the two hex-head bolts where the handlebar mounts to the stem. Use a sharp edge tool to pry out the aluminum gizmos where the bolts were removed and then the handlbar will slip out.
2/ Go ahead and follow step 1/ below to get the handlebar out of the way.
3/ Remove the short pipe that goes thru the handlebar mount (out of which you just removed the two hex-head bolts) and use that as a pattern to cut a couple of thin shims out of a lid to a can of coffee and put one each on either side where the handlebar mounts to the stem.
All of the foregoing should remove the side-to-side play in the handlebar.
ELASTOMER SHRINKAGE:
1/ Remove the hex-head bolt that holds the red bracket that bounces against the elastomer shock absorber. (Brake cable mounts here also.)
2/ Use the metal cap (mine was blue) as a pattern to cut one or two washers out of a piece of innertube, and place them inside the cap to create a bit of shock absorption that had been lost due to the shrunken elastomer.
These two step should restore a little bit of shock absorbtion in the bars.
Good luck.