Gitane 1300?

Alex Orana

Jan 9, 2013
Hi,
There's a bike for sale, which I'm interested in, but seller don't have much information about model apart from saying it's Gitane 1300
Perhaps somebody could say something by looking at this picture: http://www.ss.lv/msg/ru/transport/bycycles/highway-sports/enbpo.html
Price is about 500 USD. Is it worth to buy as first bike?
Thanks.

Quote:Originally Posted by Alex Orana . There's a bike for sale, which I'm interested in, but seller don't have much information about model apart from saying it's Gitane 1300
Perhaps somebody could say something by looking at this picture: http://www.ss.lv/msg/ru/transport/bycycles/highway-sports/enbpo.html
Price is about 500 USD. Is it worth to buy as first bike?

Based on the components, it appears as though the bike is about 10 years old ...

The Mirage-or-Veloce shifters indicate that the bike probably had an original cost of about 3x the current asking price BEFORE the VAT was assessed ...

IMO, a bike with 10 year old Campagnolo components will work as well or better than almost any new bike you might look at, so If the cosmetic condition of the bike is 'very good' and the components seem to be in good condition then 'I' would probably buy it if the frame is the right size for YOU ...

AND, you realize that the bike needs periodic maintenance (e.g., adjustments and/or new cables ... Clean Lube Adjustments).

If the bike's condition indicates a lot of wear-and-tear then figure on a price closer to $350 +/- ... possibly, less ...

Of course, some people will not pay more than $50 for any used bike ...

BTW. As pictured, the bike seems to have been set up for someone who is closer to 185+cm, but the particular frame is a very aggressive sizing for a rider who is that tall ...

If you are 175cm to 184cm tall then then I would think that the particular GITANE would be a good bike for you to buy.

Reactions: Alex Orana
Hello Friends, Though the firm has changed names (and hands) several times, the company is still head-quartered in Machecoul. Most Gitane brand bicycles are now manufactured in Taiwan and are markedly different from the old Gitane brand. Gitane no longer sponsors professional cyclists, though it still equips the postmen of France with delivery bikes. Though Gitanes used to receive stellar reviews from cyclists, current-day Gitanes receive mixed reviews in venues like Bike Radar, Mountain Bike Product Reviews, and Road Bike Review. The consensus seems to be that Gitane bicycles manufactured in France are the same quality products they always were; the Taiwanese bikes, however, are cheaply made and over-priced. Thanks and Regards, Umang Kumar

Reactions: Alex Orana