Gitane bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Shaw News, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Shaw News

    Shaw News Guest

    Hi all,

    does anyone know anything about a Gitane Champion Road bike. Made in mid 80's (1985), light blue
    Vitus Frame. all components are made in france or belgium. 12 speed. I am trying to restore it. is
    it worth the effort?

    thanks -C

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Shaw News" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > does anyone know anything about a Gitane Champion Road bike. Made in mid 80's (1985), light blue
    > Vitus Frame. all components are made in france
    or
    > belgium. 12 speed. I am trying to restore it. is it worth the effort?
    >
    > thanks -C

    Vitus frame or tubeset?

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Shaw News" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > does anyone know anything about a Gitane Champion Road bike. Made
    in mid
    > > 80's (1985), light blue Vitus Frame. all components are made in
    france
    > or
    > > belgium. 12 speed. I am trying to restore it. is it worth the
    effort?

    > > thanks
    >
    > Vitus frame or tubeset?

    Vitus was a steel tubing manufacturer at that time. It seemed a little strange that they were also
    making glued aluminum bikes.

    The Gitane in Vitus tubing is a mid-level bike. Don't put a lot of effort or expense into
    restoration but bikes at that time DID feel very nice to ride. Often better than modern bikes.

  4. Shaw News

    Shaw News Guest

    I think it is Vitus Tubing.(not frame) I am trying to figure out what needs to be replaced. It has
    steel wheels (awful heavy) plus the fact that they are 27" size.... Also noticed that being a french
    bike, a lot of things are not standard size.

    it has some nice features, but not nearly as nice as my girlfriends Rossin Record (full campy, circa
    '83) It is such a light bike.

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Shaw News" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > does anyone know anything about a Gitane Champion Road bike. Made
    > in mid
    > > > 80's (1985), light blue Vitus Frame. all components are made in
    > france
    > > or
    > > > belgium. 12 speed. I am trying to restore it. is it worth the
    > effort?
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > >
    > > Vitus frame or tubeset?
    >
    > Vitus was a steel tubing manufacturer at that time. It seemed a little strange that they were also
    > making glued aluminum bikes.
    >
    > The Gitane in Vitus tubing is a mid-level bike. Don't put a lot of effort or expense into
    > restoration but bikes at that time DID feel very nice to ride. Often better than modern bikes.

  5. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    "Shaw News" wrote:

    > I think it is Vitus Tubing.(not frame) I am trying to figure out what needs to be replaced. It has
    > steel wheels (awful heavy) plus the fact that they are 27" size.... Also noticed that being a
    > french bike, a lot of things are not standard size.

    I can't believe it has steel wheels. Are you sure they're not polished aluminum?

    Art Harris

  6. Art Harris wrote:

    > "Shaw News" wrote:
    >

    >>I think it is Vitus Tubing.(not frame) I am trying to figure out what needs to be replaced. It has
    >>steel wheels (awful heavy) plus the fact that they are 27" size.... Also noticed that being a
    >>french bike, a lot of things are not standard size.
    >

    > I can't believe it has steel wheels. Are you sure they're not polished aluminum?
    >
    > Art Harris

    Probably taken from one of those beastly old Scwhinn Varsities.

  7. Shaw News

    Shaw News Guest

    Yup... i am almost certain that it is steel wheels. the front has a serrated brake surface. it makes
    an awful sound when breaking...

    "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Shaw News" wrote:
    >
    > > I think it is Vitus Tubing.(not frame) I am trying to figure out what
    needs
    > > to be replaced. It has steel wheels (awful heavy) plus the fact that
    they
    > > are 27" size.... Also noticed that being a french bike, a lot of
    things
    > > are not standard size.
    >
    > I can't believe it has steel wheels. Are you sure they're not polished
    aluminum?

    > Art Harris

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Throw the wheels out post haste. Even with the serrations they brake about as well as if they were
    sprayed with automatic transmission fluid if they get even a ghost of moisture on them.

    "Shaw News" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yup... i am almost certain that it is steel wheels. the front has a serrated brake surface. it
    > makes an awful sound when breaking...
    >

    > "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Shaw News" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I think it is Vitus Tubing.(not frame) I am trying to figure
    out what
    > needs
    > > > to be replaced. It has steel wheels (awful heavy) plus the fact
    that
    > they
    > > > are 27" size.... Also noticed that being a french bike, a lot
    of
    > things
    > > > are not standard size.
    > >
    > > I can't believe it has steel wheels. Are you sure they're not
    polished
    > aluminum?
    > >
    > > Art Harris

  9. Shaw News

    Shaw News Guest

    that is what I was thinking. i wonder if I will be able to find 27" wheels anymore....