Giuseppe SARONNI framed bike Question

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
Locally there is a Saronni framed bike on an auction. Its got mostly old Campag gear on it too.
There is rust on the frame and all of the gear needs an overhaul but it may be worth me buying as I'd love a classic and its my size and really well priced.
Its a bit hard to get to it to record serial number etc.

All I can find out about Saronni bikes is that his name was added to some models of Colnago Mexicos.
This bike has only got Saronni decals on it - could it be a re decal-ed Colnago?
Did he have his own line of bikes which owed very little to Colnago?

Any help appreciated:)

To the best of my knowledge there was never a 'real' line of Saronni bikes, they were, as you stated, all rebadged Colnagos to get a bit of extra mileage from the name.

Dang - someone else bet me to it:eek:

I'll keep searching for the ellusive classic bike...and wearing my wife down about me owning yet another bike:)

I got mine from a local auctions just yesterday! Its a Saronni alright but i guess heavily modified...

- ambrosio handlebars and 'Montreal' rims with dura-ace ole-skool hubs
- exage brakes with 105 calipers
- Sante shifters/derailleurs/crank with biopace chainrings
- velo carbon seat

I need more info on this bike (can't seem to find much about this bike).....

- are they really re-badged conalgos (all the saronni models) ?
- there is a heart shape cutout on the lugs (see picture)
- how old is my bike? the umpteenth owner tells me its around 15 years old

Planning to put my 10 spd integra groupset onto this bike but need advice on how to make it fit! The 10 spd required 130mm but the Saronni has only 126mm spacing....

Really like the look on this one....can't wait to give it a good long ride!

Question : is it true that only 'champion winners' italian bikes are allowed to use the rainbow colour thingie as part of the bike marking? fren told me that this is so....

jackchoo said:
I got mine from a local auctions just yesterday! Its a Saronni alright but i guess heavily modified...

- velo carbon seat

Planning to put my 10 spd integra groupset onto this bike but need advice on how to make it fit! The 10 spd required 130mm but the Saronni has only 126mm spacing....

Question : is it true that only 'champion winners' italian bikes are allowed to use the rainbow colour thingie as part of the bike marking? fren told me that this is so....
The rainbow stripe is something that only a World Champion can wear. Given that Saronni won the worlds back in the early 80's (83?) I'd hazard a guess that this bike was made 83 maybe 84.

Great looking bike.
You've done well. The one I was after wasn't in nearly as good condition.

If I had yours....the first thing I'd be doing would be putting my builder's level on the seat to set it flat as it should be and getting the bars more level too.

Happy classic bike riding:)

jackchoo said:

- velo carbon seat

Bigbananabike said:
Great looking bike.
You've done well. The one I was after wasn't in nearly as good condition.

If I had yours....the first thing I'd be doing would be putting my builder's level on the seat to set it flat as it should be and getting the bars more level too.

Happy classic bike riding:)
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at the handle bars current position and went 'that ain't right....'.

Now I am struggling, should i put in my whole 10spd ultegra cos the Sante does look good with the colour scheme....plus it would be easier to sell the ultra group than the Sante group for sure!

I'm sure you'll get it sorted for you so it's looking good, comfortable and functioning well.
If I had it...I'd keep it as original as possible. Its a classic bike and to my mind I'd keep classic components on it and use it as a 'high days and holidays' bike
- but then I have 'everyday' later model bikes to train and race on:)

jackchoo said:
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at the handle bars current position and went 'that ain't right....'.

Now I am struggling, should i put in my whole 10spd ultegra cos the Sante does look good with the colour scheme....plus it would be easier to sell the ultra group than the Sante group for sure!

Bigbananabike said:
I'm sure you'll get it sorted for you so it's looking good, comfortable and functioning well.
If I had it...I'd keep it as original as possible. Its a classic bike and to my mind I'd keep classic components on it and use it as a 'high days and holidays' bike
- but then I have 'everyday' later model bikes to train and race on:)
did a bit more research. The saronni i have is a Tecnotrat (???) one not a Colnago version as first suspected....oh well, it still looks good!:rolleyes:

apparently only Colnago and Tecnotrat made Saronni badged bikes. The company became Di Benardi later on and seems like they just gone bankrupt!:eek:

The bike in question is a Tecnotrat Saronni, i have one that is bought from a local Singapore dealer back in 1984 plus minus.
It has Octagon shape tube on the seat tube and downtube. Complete with Cinelli handlebar, 3ttt stem, Campagnolo Nuovo/Super record parts and Modolo brakes.

Any interested party? I am open to discuss.

Evan Chua said:
The bike in question is a Tecnotrat Saronni, i have one that is bought from a local Singapore dealer back in 1984 plus minus. It has Octagon shape tube on the seat tube and downtube.  Complete with Cinelli handlebar, 3ttt stem, Campagnolo Nuovo/Super record parts and Modolo brakes. Any interested party?  I am open to discuss.
its funny how in traditional classic geometry the saddle seems to be pointing up when it is in fact parallel to the ground, nice bike