Give him a medal

On 2006-08-20, Ivor Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> "PC Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>> He's probably a creationist as well, in which case this
>> will be a *very* long thread.

> It will be as long as it takes for you to stop insulting me.

I'd start breeding some non-European European offspring to continue
the thread when you die, then. If, of course, you beleive being
called European[1] (i.e., in this particular contenxt, someone who lives
within the boundaries of Europe, which, living in England, you do), is
an insult.

[1] in this particular context, someone who lives and was born within the
boundaries of Europe (and England is within those boundaries).

--
David Taylor

On 2006-08-20, Ivor Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> "mattic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>> Are you suggesting that folk ignore the sort of illogical
>> silliness you are spouting in order to be regarded as
>> decent human beings? Isn't that sort of lethargy how the
>> great scourges were allowed to flourish?

> I am suggesting nothing more than decency and respect. Do *you* want to be
> respected..? If so this is the time and place to start.

You are requesting we accept your lies.

That won't happen.

Indeed, if you want an insult: you're lying (perhaps pathologically).

--
David Taylor

Ian Dalziel wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:12:46 +0100, Alex Heney <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but you can't just decide to completely alter the meaning of
>> simple English just because you don't like what it means.

> Are the roads in Europe dangerous?

I'm beginning to think that "Ivor Jones" is of the mindset that still
believes that "Europe" is a nasty foreign place full of thoroughly
unpleasant Frenchmen and Germans who want to kill him and his kin.

On 2006-08-20, Ivor Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> "mattic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>> Could this have something to do with the quirks of the
>> locale? It's a bit like insisting that England is not
>> part of the region known as Europe, only to have it
>> revealed, in an almost overwhelming and certainly
>> unanimous fashion, that you have been talking shite all
>> these years.

> Adding an e to the end of the word doesn't make it any the less a swear
> word.

I briefly thought you were claiming "local" was a swear word.

Now back to your regularly scheduled flamewar...

--
David Taylor

On 2006-08-21, Ivor Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Ivor Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> I have done so. Ad nauseum. You refuse to accept my
>>> explanation. Your problem.

>> No you haven't, you've only said what you are not.

> Yes I have, but you refuse to accept it.

Do you think that most people would initially _believe_ you were
European, if they knew everything there was to know about you
(excluding your dislike of being described as European)?

--
David Taylor

"Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I'm a UK resident not a European resident.

Do you have a passport?

What does it say on the front, at the top, in gold, friendly letters?

"Morris Finsbury" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > I'm a UK resident not a European resident.

> Do you have a passport?
>
> What does it say on the front, at the top, in gold, friendly letters?

and what does it say in bold, just above the crest which is right in the
middle?

UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND

and below that

PASSPORT

and in very small print at the top

european union

and on the next page just inside the cover ...

Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name
of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass
freely without let or hinderance ...... etc etc etc etc

I am English first and foremost

British next
..
..
..

then somewhere down the line

european

I served Her Majesty under the White Ensign

If you have problems with that, what is your country of birth?

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Morris Finsbury" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> > I'm a UK resident not a European resident.

>> Do you have a passport?
>>
>> What does it say on the front, at the top, in gold, friendly letters?
>>

> and what does it say in bold, just above the crest which is right in the
> middle?
>
> UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
>
> and below that
>
> PASSPORT
>
> and in very small print at the top
>
> european union
>
> and on the next page just inside the cover ...
>
> Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the
> Name
> of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass
> freely without let or hinderance ...... etc etc etc etc
>
> I am English first and foremost
>
> British next
> .
> then somewhere down the line
>
> european
>
> I served Her Majesty under the White Ensign
>
> If you have problems with that, what is your country of birth?

No one has a problem with that, except "Ivor Jones".

> Because a continent is not a country. I am defined by my country of birth
> not my continent of residence.

You are defined by millions of things. You are defined by the colour of your
eyes and hair. You are defined by your personality type. You are defined by
your place of birth. You are defined by your nationality. And, I'm afraid,
you are defined by the continent of your residence, whether you like it or
not. However, you can no more claim not to be European than you can claim to
have three legs, just because you say so.

You are demonstrably (correct me if I'm wrong) resident in Europe and born
in Europe. This makes you a European. Cry all you like, but it isn't going
to change, unless, possibly in some people's eyes, you move to a different
continent for several decades.

You can't unilaterally opt out, I'm afraid, any more that you can opt out of
being classified as human instead of a giraffe.

Christian.

"Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Morris Finsbury" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Do you have a passport?
> >>
> >> What does it say on the front, at the top, in gold, friendly letters?
> >>

> > and what does it say in bold, just above the crest which is right in the
> > middle?
> >
> > UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
> >
> > and below that
> >
> > PASSPORT
> >
> > and in very small print at the top
> >
> > european union
> >
> > and on the next page just inside the cover ...
> >
> > Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the
> > Name
> > of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass
> > freely without let or hinderance ...... etc etc etc etc
> >
> > I am English first and foremost
> >
> > British next
> > .
> > then somewhere down the line
> >
> > european
> >
> > I served Her Majesty under the White Ensign
> >
> > If you have problems with that, what is your country of birth?

> No one has a problem with that, except "Ivor Jones".

For Ivor

read > > I am Welsh first and foremost

For Jock

read > > I am Scotish first and foremost

For Paddy from North of the Border > > I am Irish first and foremost

Next question please.

Mike

Please remember, the United Kingdom will still be here when the European
Union has collapsed :))

In article <[email protected]>,
"Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
> > Ivor Jones ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much
> > like they were saying :

> >> Wrong. I do not take definitions from continents, I take them from
> >> countries.

> > Sorry, but that's just not your choice. You might not *choose* to
> > describe yourself as a European, but you are. It's an immutable fact,
> > and to try to deny it is denial at best, and Ostrich syndrome at
> > worst.

> Is the sand deep enough?

I don't know... let's check...

Do you accept that you're African?

--
"There are no such useless words as...'I didn't have a chance.'"
[Driving, HMSO]

Brimstone ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

> I'm beginning to think that "Ivor Jones" is of the mindset that still
> believes that "Europe" is a nasty foreign place full of thoroughly
> unpleasant Frenchmen and Germans who want to kill him and his kin.

Y'see, England IS Europe...

Mike ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

> For Paddy from North of the Border > > I am Irish first and foremost

Now *THAT* is a whole different can of Semtex...

In article <[email protected]>,
"Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]

> >> So if you're not European, from which continent or other
> >> geographic region of the world do your forebears
> >> originate?

> > Irrelevant. Whether they are or were European or not does not mean I am.

> Wrong, you can't be anything other than what your parents were.

Wrong!

I have friends who live in California. They are both English and have UK
passports. They also have two daughters who are both Americans and have
US passports.

Care to admit that you're wrong?

I won't hold my breath.

Please make up your mind whether you are discussing nationality of
ethnicity... if you know difference.

>[snip]
>
> Stop treating the rest of us as idiots and I'm sure there will be
> reciprication.

So far you're wrong twice in this thread. As soon as you stop making
yourself look like an idiot I'm sure people will stop treating you like
one.

--

"Adrian" <[email protected]> wrote in message >

> Y'see, England IS Europe...

NO SIR, or MADAM

England is part of Great Britain which is part of the United Kingdom which
is, by default, part of europe (note lack of capital 'e' because it is so
far down the line of importance, that it might just as well be in the
dustbin)

If you are unable to understand that, then a couple of questions.......

Where were you between 1939 and 1945?

and what Country were you born in?

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk
www.nsrafa.com

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> If you have problems with that, what is your country of birth?

England.

That makes me a European. Not that I particularly want to be.

But it does.

Morris Finsbury ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

> England.
>
> That makes me a European. Not that I particularly want to be.
>
> But it does.

Thought you called Godwin six minutes before that post?

Mike ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

>> Y'see, England IS Europe...

> NO SIR, or MADAM
>
> England is part of Great Britain which is part of the United Kingdom
> which is, by default, part of europe

Thank you. England is Europe.
Same as France is Europe. Or Germany. Or Luxembourg.
Same as Nigeria is Africa, and Bangladesh is Asia.
Glad we can agree on that.

> If you are unable to understand that, then a couple of
> questions.......
>
> Where were you between 1939 and 1945?

My mother was born in Bristol in 1939, my father in Lincolnshire in 1938.
So - for what I believe was quite a good reason, as I'm sure you'll agree -
I wasn't actually doing much of importance during those particular years.

> and what Country were you born in?

London.

So I'm British. Therefore, I'm also a European - because I was born and
reside in a European country, and therefore carry a standard European
passport, issued by the UK Passport Authority.

"Morris Finsbury" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > If you have problems with that, what is your country of birth?

> England.
>
> That makes me a European. Not that I particularly want to be.
>
> But it does.

NO SIR or MADAM

That makes you ENGLISH.

Are you not proud of your origin of birth?

If not, why have you not emigrated?

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Mike ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
:

>> > If you have problems with that, what is your country of birth?

>> England.
>>
>> That makes me a European. Not that I particularly want to be.
>>
>> But it does.

> NO SIR or MADAM
>
> That makes you ENGLISH.

Correct.

It also makes him British. And a European.

> Are you not proud of your origin of birth?

Is it not possible to be "proud" of being British without also
acknowledging that Britain is within Europe, and you're therefore European?

> If not, why have you not emigrated?

Is "pride" in the location of an event in which you had no say a
prerequisite for chosing your residence?