giving it back!!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stephen Pridgeo, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. On friday I was going down the main road, coming up to a tight spot where cars will often try and
    squeeze past me, usually I pull out and make them wait. Behind me I sense a car, 5 yrds behind. I
    crawl along at 16mph, it waits behind me all the way (only about 20 - 30 yrds) until it can safely
    overtake. Bless her, she gets caught at the next set of lights. I pull alongside, tap on her window,
    and thank her for being so considerate. She was so shocked she didn't know what to say.

    This morning, doing the weaving/bus lane thing in heavy traffic I get it slightly wrong and the
    driver to my right gets a bit worried about a collision, pulls out and overtakes. 5 yrds later I'm
    able to shout an apology through his open window and get a wave in return.

    I think I may take sweets on my journey tomorrow, and give them out to people en route.

    SteveP

    Tags:

  2. I love it when motorists don't expect a "thank you" back :) It is a funny reaction at times! Hence I
    work on the theory that a bit of courtesy back, such as a thank you spoken or waved is a good thing
    to do - I hope they'll carry on being courteous and it shows not all cyclists are Lycar louts :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > I love it when motorists don't expect a "thank you" back :) It is a funny reaction at times! Hence
    > I work on the theory that a bit of courtesy back,
    such
    > as a thank you spoken or waved is a good thing to do - I hope they'll
    carry on
    > being courteous and it shows not all cyclists are Lycar louts :)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Go, on, I've got to..... Lycar louts, Helen ?.... I feel a new theme coming on..... Thanks for
    that, Dave.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 24 Feb 2003 02:14:25 -0800, [email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote:

    >This morning, doing the weaving/bus lane thing in heavy traffic I get it slightly wrong and the
    >driver to my right gets a bit worried about a collision, pulls out and overtakes. 5 yrds later I'm
    >able to shout an apology through his open window and get a wave in return.

    It's the best policy. 'tother day I was riding into Henley on the wedgie and went for the brakes
    rather late at a mini roundabout (having got rather too used to the discs on the 'bent, I guess) -
    matey in a Merc had his wits about him, saw me overshoot the line and stopped undramatically,
    letting me get n with it. He went past, and I caught up with hi about a minute later (as you do).
    Knocked on the window, I'm sure he was expecting an earful, but obviously I apologised and thanked
    him. Hopefully the next cyclist he meets will reap the benefit.

    Discourtesy is the scourge of modern road use, I think, and the more we smile and wave the more we
    are doing our bit to save the world from Smith and his speed loonies :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. I usually wave or nod or otherwise acknowledge courtesy. Waving etc I keep to when I'm stopped at
    lights/signs/roundabouts though, since I don't want anybody to misconstrue a signal/gesture.

    I save all my big smiles for other cyclists though.

    -Luigi "you can spot the happy cyclists from the bugs in their teeth"

  6. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 24 Feb 2003 02:14:25 -0800, [email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote:

    >On friday I was going down the main road, coming up to a tight spot where cars will often try and
    >squeeze past me, usually I pull out and make them wait. Behind me I sense a car, 5 yrds behind. I
    >crawl along at 16mph, it waits behind me all the way (only about 20 - 30 yrds) until it can safely
    >overtake. Bless her, she gets caught at the next set of lights. I pull alongside, tap on her
    >window, and thank her for being so considerate. She was so shocked she didn't know what to say.

    Hi Steve

    I can't make my mind up whether I prefer cars to zoom past me and get out of the way or be nice and
    keep a polite distance behind where I'm not sure where they are. I suppose if a car sits behind at a
    reasonable distance then I feel OK. Conversely, if a car sits only a few yards behind then I seem to
    spend a lot of time looking over my shoulders to make sure it's behaving sensibly.

    >I think I may take sweets on my journey tomorrow, and give them out to people en route.

    I like those caramel Quality Street ones in the golden coloured wrapping.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:23:36 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Henley on the wedgie.

    Thought it was called Henley on Thames.

    >Discourtesy is the scourge of modern road use ...

    It certainly is, Guy, whether is comes from cagers, wedgers :-/ or riders or proper bicycles. Just
    don't get me started waffling (no, not you Helen) on about pedestrians.

    However, if one almost becomes a splat on the tarmac then it is rather hard to keep one's cool.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    James Hodson wrote:

    > I can't make my mind up whether I prefer cars to zoom past me and get out of the way or be nice
    > and keep a polite distance behind where I'm not sure where they are.

    If it genuinely worries you, try a mirror. I'm not a great mirror advocate, but it does make it easy
    to keep an eye on the road language of the cager behind - the ones who are very close and halfway
    over the line are the ones to watch for :-/

    --
    Guy
    ===

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    James Hodson wrote:

    > However, if one almost becomes a splat on the tarmac then it is rather hard to keep one's cool.

    Heh! Picture me this morning shouting "WANKER!!!" at the top of my voice after the, well, wanker who
    ran me off the road :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  10. James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote
    > >snip<<

    > I like those caramel Quality Street ones in the golden coloured wrapping.

    handy that you like the ones which no one else does ;-)

  11. Marc

    Marc Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I like those caramel Quality Street ones in the golden coloured wrapping.

    The flat ones? They don't do them any more! :-(

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  12. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:05:15 +0000, [email protected] (marc) wrote:

    >> I like those caramel Quality Street ones in the golden coloured wrapping.
    >
    >The flat ones? They don't do them any more! :-(

    WHAT? I'm going to make a noose.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.