Giving people the finger!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by MichaelB, Feb 3, 2006.

1. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Whats your take on this folks?

I can remember only one incident where the international sign language has been required and used. I can think of plenty of times where it has been just required though!

The time in particular was a day when there was snow(!) on the road and some retard looked at me doing about 25mph and then proceeded to turn right in front of me. Seriously close that one.

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. ebola

ebola New Member

Yup every once in a while something really irritating happens and all you can do about it is vent a little anger with that way.

The one i remember the most was a car deliberately passing me as close as possible at about 50mph in a 30 zone, with a passenger giving me the finger shouting some expletive; reciprocating was pretty much obligatory!!

The most recent occasion was someone under-taking me & other cars by zipping in & out of a left-turn lane - doing about 40 mph in a 30 zone; if i'd swerved or something i'd have been dead. Ones take on speeding is different when one cycles rather than drives.

I've often thought "what I really need is a video camera on my bike so I can get numberplates & track these people down.." if that doesn't sound too psychotic :)

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I use the one fingered salute in the summer quite often, but in the winter I don't - damn lobster gloves.

4. jrstevens

jrstevens New Member

I was the recipient the other night when a student commuter blew through a 4-way stop sign just as I was pulling out after having come to a complete stop in my automobile. Luckily for him I stopped and honked and he rather unpolitely and irrationally gave me the finger. Instead of continuing straight I turned right to follow him. He pulled up along side me and shouted "what's your problem". :confused: Personally when I'm on the bike I don't use the finger or any other means by which I might further incite rage in drivers but that's just me.

JS

5. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

I think 'honking' as you guys call it is like flipping someone off. You didn't honk to avoid an accident, rather, you used your horn in response to someone's bad behaviour. I can understand someone's annoyance at being beeped because it could be perceived as the beeper deciding that he was correct (and knows best) and the beeped was wrong and so deserved to be put in his place. Thus the beeper is judge, jury and executioner.

Doesn't it say in the bible 'Do unto others as you would have others do unto you'. So if you give someone the automotive finger you're gonna have to suffer one yourself.

I dont like people beeping.

6. Cyclesafe

Cyclesafe New Member

Flipping drivers off can cause irrational escalations where the unarmoured cyclist loses. If there is an opportunity, it is better to loudly talk at the offending driver through the closed passenger window and inform him (and surrounding drivers) what the driver should have done under the situation and that had you been injured, the driver would find himself putting all of your children through college. If the driver wants to duke it out with you on the side of the road, beat the crap out of him - in self defense - and press charges for battery.

7. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

I would spend my entire ride hurling abuse at people if I let it get to me. I just ignore it these days no matter what the idiot does.

8. jrstevens

jrstevens New Member

Hey I don't know anyone who likes getting beeped at but if I blatantly run a 4-way stop sign on my bike while someone in a car is just about to cross the intersection I deserve to be given the automotive finger. I think in this instance there was no mistaking who was at fault. I should have elaborated in my post the commuter was wearing all black with no headlight on a snowy night. Thanks though for your Bible reference.

JS

9. parawolf

parawolf New Member

I used to in onroad bike lanes. It didn't stress me out too much... but i'm a regular on a car forum as well. After a thread about cyclists generating a large amount of conflict from about 2 or 3 regular cyclists vs the rest of the users.

After that I found a longer ride home which was via dedicated bike paths only except for about 1km (out of a 15km ride home).

I feel safer now, plus I get more exercise!

Though this morning I had to take the shorter ride into the office, in the shared bike lane. I had a BMW 320i cut into the bike lane just in front of me... so in traffic I drifted past on the left hand side, and motioned across bonnet for them to get out of my lane.

About 300 metres later I had this same BMW attempt over take me (I was occuping an entire lane as I was entitled to do). Now I was doing about 35km/h in a 40km/h zone. This driver, 20 metres from the intersection attempted to past me and push left over me. Going so fast it was better to attempt to force the driver back right.

A short loud "OI!" came out, and I collected the BMW with my right fist on the rear passenger window. When I past the BMW on the left side as the slowed and pulled in behind me, I gave them the finger.

I'm going back to riding on the bike path tomorrow.

10. Induray

Induray New Member

I suffer from debilitating hand cramps due to my generosity of giving one finger salutes!!!

Yes I know...I'm a flowerchild:mad:

11. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

When appropriate (and safe), I prefer the "elbow fist pump" gesture; riding no hands while signaling is so much more visually appealing.

12. wheelist

wheelist New Member

What you need is a pair of "birdy gloves" available from Howies:
    (http://www.howies.co.uk/product.php?sc=053UACGLBIPQ&cat=accessories&gen=U)

They're not exactly bike-specific but they certainly do the job. :D

p.s. whilst you're on their site check out the excellent T-shirts and base layers too (this isn't meant to be a blatant promotion, but they are one of the coolest companies in Wales :cool: )

13. Cyclism

Cyclism New Member

Last time I did it, driver totally deserved it, didn't like me doing it and proceeded to attempt to run me off the road. I managed to avoid and shake him off, then vowed never to do it again. Just not worth it, especially when I have a wife and two daughters who depend on me.

14. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

A hothead on a bike will always lose to a hothead in a car....think before you lash out people. Is it REALLY worth it just to make your ego feel better?

15. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Dont be such a pussy. If the driver comes after you stop and ask the unhealthy ball of fat whether he fancies some fisticuffs.

16. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

I've flicked a driver off before but I usually think twice about it since I wouldn't want to give them provocation to run me over. Unlikely, but you never know...

17. Induray

Induray New Member

Feel the joy of giving! One finger salutes that is!

Cathartic

18. JSWin

JSWin Member

Yeah by all means. I use it for the chosen select. The cream of the crop. It is sort of a private joke at this point.

19. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

Although I try to refrain from getting angry on the road, the one fingered salute is used for those who manage to push the barrier of down-right stupidity to the point where I wonder if they really did pass their test or in-fact bribed the examiner.

20. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

I rarely use it but once in awhile when I run into someone who is either not smart with their decisions or just a bad ass, I'd throw one out.