Glasgow Lycra Louts

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Allan, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    This morning turning left into the cyclepath up to Bells bridge two
    lycra clad 'cyclists' turn right onto path cutting the corner. The first
    comes within inches of side swiping me before he brakes. They end up
    behind me a little further on they decide to overtake me, fine enough
    except I am on the left and there is a pedestrian walking towards me on
    the opposite side of the path the first of the 2 'cyclists just makes
    the overtake, the second ( the one that had nearly hit me earlier)
    decides he does not want to hit the ped so swerves across into me I
    manage to brake and avoid a collision. At that point I give him a
    description of his riding skills. We exchange further pleasantries he
    finishes with the comment "hi fat boy try and catch up with me" which
    considering my age I took as a part compliment and decided he had just
    confirmed his lycra lout credentials.

    Rant over, had to get that out of my system

    Allan

    Tags:

  2. sothach

    sothach Guest

    Allan wrote:

    > Rant over, had to get that out of my system

    There's old cyclists and there's bould cyclists, but you don't see to
    many old bould cyclists: they've either got themselves flattened or got
    themselves a car, and are now busy flattening others.

  3. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    sothach wrote:
    > Allan wrote:
    >

    >>Rant over, had to get that out of my system

    > There's old cyclists and there's bould cyclists, but you don't see to
    > many old bould cyclists: they've either got themselves flattened or got
    > themselves a car, and are now busy flattening others.

    Shirley a boulder cyclist could flatten motorists!

    JimP

  4. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Jim Price wrote:
    > sothach wrote:
    >
    >> Allan wrote:
    >>

    >>> Rant over, had to get that out of my system

    >> There's old cyclists and there's bould cyclists, but you don't see to
    >> many old bould cyclists: they've either got themselves flattened or got
    >> themselves a car, and are now busy flattening others.

    > Shirley a boulder cyclist could flatten motorists!
    >
    > JimP

    When I was last in Boulder i saw none of the very many cyclists
    flattening any body !!!

  5. Allan wrote:
    > This morning turning left into the cyclepath up to Bells bridge two
    > lycra clad 'cyclists' turn right onto path cutting the corner. The first
    > comes within inches of side swiping me before he brakes. They end up
    > behind me a little further on they decide to overtake me, fine enough
    > except I am on the left and there is a pedestrian walking towards me on
    > the opposite side of the path the first of the 2 'cyclists just makes
    > the overtake, the second ( the one that had nearly hit me earlier)
    > decides he does not want to hit the ped so swerves across into me I
    > manage to brake and avoid a collision. At that point I give him a
    > description of his riding skills. We exchange further pleasantries he
    > finishes with the comment "hi fat boy try and catch up with me" which
    > considering my age I took as a part compliment and decided he had just
    > confirmed his lycra lout credentials.
    >
    > Rant over, had to get that out of my system

    Carry a small axe. (Don't use a wrist-strap) (In case you use it on a
    car). Sorry, just a fantasy, but it becomes more real every day.

    Had to get that out of my system.

  6. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > Jim Price wrote:
    >
    >> sothach wrote:

    >>> There's old cyclists and there's bould cyclists, but you don't see to
    >>> many old bould cyclists: they've either got themselves flattened or got
    >>> themselves a car, and are now busy flattening others.

    >> Shirley a boulder cyclist could flatten motorists!
    >>
    >> JimP

    > When I was last in Boulder i saw none of the very many cyclists
    > flattening any body !!!

    When we were last in Boulder we were flattened by a motorbike. Oh, look,
    here are some pictures:

    http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_swa_r1.htm

    James
    --
    James Annan
    see web pages for email

  7. [email protected] wrote:

    > Carry a small axe. (Don't use a wrist-strap) (In case you use it on a
    > car). Sorry, just a fantasy, but it becomes more real every day.

    I'm sure this has been suggested in a previous thread but would it not
    be better perhaps having some kind of explosive powered harpoon. It
    could be mounted alongside the top tube facing forward to be used in
    scenarios like this.
    Iain

  8. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Carry a small axe. (Don't use a wrist-strap) (In case you use it on
    > a car). Sorry, just a fantasy, but it becomes more real every day.

    My late father always had a crank straightener lying on the shop
    counter.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Carry a small axe. (Don't use a wrist-strap) (In case you use it on a
    >> car). Sorry, just a fantasy, but it becomes more real every day.

    > I'm sure this has been suggested in a previous thread but would it not
    > be better perhaps having some kind of explosive powered harpoon. It
    > could be mounted alongside the top tube facing forward to be used in
    > scenarios like this.

    Rocket propelled grenade is what you want, my son.

    ;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall
    -- Drink C'lloid

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, James Annan
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > MSeries wrote:
    >> When I was last in Boulder i saw none of the very many cyclists
    >> flattening any body !!!

    > When we were last in Boulder we were flattened by a motorbike. Oh,
    > look, here are some pictures:
    >
    > http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_swa_r1.htm

    Ow! That looks nasty. I hope you and Julie were OK?

    ;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
    -- Think Droid

  11. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > in message <[email protected]>, James Annan
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    >>MSeries wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I was last in Boulder i saw none of the very many cyclists
    >>>flattening any body !!!

    >>When we were last in Boulder we were flattened by a motorbike. Oh,
    >>look, here are some pictures:
    >>
    >>http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_swa_r1.htm

    > Ow! That looks nasty. I hope you and Julie were OK?

    Heh. It looks more impressive than it really was, and was certainly
    nothing compared to your recent adventures. The impact was directly on
    my bike frame, and perpendicular to its plane (M/C wheel hit near the
    BB), so it buckled pretty easily leaving me barely touched. jules,
    following close behind, got a wing mirror in the face and has some
    gore-tex and titanium upgrades as a result.

    It wasn't the best holiday ever but it's all part of life's rich
    tapestry, I suppose :)

    James