Glass and tire wiping

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Stubintner, May 29, 2003.

  1. Stubintner

    Stubintner Guest

    I read with interest the thread on glass and tire wiping. Does anyone else still use tire
    saver "wire wipes?" A few geezers that I know (and I) still do and find that they work very
    well. Any comments?

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "StuBintner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I read with interest the thread on glass and tire wiping. Does anyone
    else
    > still use tire saver "wire wipes?" A few geezers that I know (and I) still
    do
    > and find that they work very well. Any comments?

    I use them. They work well. I also use the area on my cycling gloves between the index finger and
    thumb when I have been through what I think looks potentially puncture producing. I haven't been
    able to implement a method for the tandem rear wheel in that regard yet. :>

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  3. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    David Ornee wrote:
    > "StuBintner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I read with interest the thread on glass and tire wiping. Does anyone
    >
    > else
    >
    >>still use tire saver "wire wipes?" A few geezers that I know (and I) still
    >
    > do
    >
    >>and find that they work very well. Any comments?
    >

    > I use them. They work well. I also use the area on my cycling gloves between the index finger and
    > thumb when I have been through what I think looks potentially puncture producing. I haven't been
    > able to implement a method for the tandem rear wheel in that regard yet. :>
    >
    > David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

    If you ride on the brake hoods like many people do, don't you have road gunk embedded in the hoods?

    (I was wondering about the wire wipers myself and almost dup'd this thread. Whew, close call there.)

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Tire wiping with one's hand is one of those old practices that can be shown to be (probably)
    useless- but I still do it automatically. When I ride one of my bikes with fenders, I'm frustrated
    by the fact that they're in the way and prevent me from wiping my tires.

    With the wheels rotating several times per second, it's possibly 20 rotations by the time I get my
    hand down onto the tire. But I still do it, even knowing this.

    It even seems like I get more flats on my bikes with fenders. I probably just remember those flats
    more clealry because the fender is kind of a nuisance when pulling the wheel out of the frame.

    What I don't know is whether "tire savers" actually have any utility. I used them many years ago and
    don't remember that they seemed to make any difference- at least I took them off after a while.

  5. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 30 May 2003 02:07:50 GMT, [email protected] (StuBintner) wrote:

    >I read with interest the thread on glass and tire wiping. Does anyone else still use tire saver
    >"wire wipes?" A few geezers that I know (and I) still do and find that they work very well. Any
    >comments?

    So I am finally an old geezer! If I print this out, will I get discounts at the matinee?

    I've used the wire wipers for years. I don't know if it is them, or that I ride differently, pay
    more attention to road debris, when they are on, or the phase of the moon. I know that there is a
    definite pattern between using them and getting flats. If I take them off, I start getting flats.
    Put them back on, almost no flats. Whether they actually do anything or not, I'll keep them on.

  6. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Tim McNamara wrote:

    > What I don't know is whether "tire savers" actually have any utility. I used them many years
    > ago and don't remember that they seemed to make any difference- at least I took them off after
    > a while.

    I used them back in the day, and they seemed pretty effective at knocking off goathead thorns before
    they punctured the tube. They were not at all effective at preventing glass, staple, wire, or
    thumbtack punctures.

  7. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Stuart Bintner writes:

    > I read with interest the thread on glass and tire wiping. Does anyone else still use tire saver
    > "wire wipes?" A few geezers that I know (and I) still do and find that they work very well. Any
    > comments?

    Yes. I throw salt over my shoulder and it works like a charm, but then my shoes aren't full of road
    dirt on damp days they way my tire saver buddies' were. Flats, for those who ride much, are a random
    thing. I have on several tours of the Alps of more than 2000 miles, pumped my clinchers before
    leaving home in California and not pumping again until several weeks after my return because I had
    no flats. That's the only thing that reminded me there were none.

    On the other hand, I sometimes have two or three glass flats in that duration (miles or time) and do
    not attribute either condition to tire savers, wiping tires or tossing salt... but I could.

  8. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Terry Morse writes:

    > I used them back in the day, and they seemed pretty effective at knocking off goathead thorns
    > before they punctured the tube. They were not at all effective at preventing glass, staple, wire,
    > or thumbtack punctures.

    You must have been riding nearly flat tires because a puncture vine thorn is a spine standing on a
    tetrahedron that is so sharp that lightly laying the palm of the hand on the roadside vine will have
    them stick in your skin painlessly, it requires so little pressure. If you have more than 50 psi in
    your tire, the thorn will penetrate practically to its final depth on the first contact. The only
    ones you could effectively knock off are ones on the sides of the tire that would otherwise
    penetrate on the first corner taken.

    http://www.or.blm.gov/Prineville/weed/puncture.htm http://tinyurl.com/d0xo
    http://www.cwma.org/puncturevine.html
    http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0801+0392

  9. Stubintner

    Stubintner Guest

    >So I am finally an old geezer! If I print this out, will I get discounts at the matinee?

    My suggestion is to print as you suggest and take it to the local AMC. Chances are the kid selling
    tickets thinks you are very old--providing, of course, that you are over 18 years of age.

  10. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    <jobst.br[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Terry Morse writes:
    >
    > > I used them back in the day, and they seemed pretty effective at knocking off goathead thorns
    > > before they punctured the tube. They were not at all effective at preventing glass, staple,
    > > wire, or thumbtack punctures.
    >
    > You must have been riding nearly flat tires because a puncture vine thorn is a spine standing on a
    > tetrahedron that is so sharp that lightly laying the palm of the hand on the roadside vine will
    > have them stick in your skin painlessly, it requires so little pressure. If you have more than 50
    > psi in your tire, the thorn will penetrate practically to its final depth on the first contact.
    > The only ones you could effectively knock off are ones on the sides of the tire that would
    > otherwise penetrate on the first corner taken.
    >
    > http://www.or.blm.gov/Prineville/weed/puncture.htm http://tinyurl.com/d0xo
    > http://www.cwma.org/puncturevine.html
    > http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0801+0392

    Now that I know what this beast looks like I'd like to know the distribution of it in the U.S. We
    don't seem to have it in Illinois and the Midwest. Any links?

    Thank you,

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  11. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Robin Hubert writes:

    >>> I used them back in the day, and they seemed pretty effective at knocking off goathead thorns
    >>> before they punctured the tube. They were not at all effective at preventing glass, staple,
    >>> wire, or thumbtack punctures.

    >> You must have been riding nearly flat tires because a puncture vine thorn is a spine standing on
    >> a tetrahedron that is so sharp that lightly laying the palm of the hand on the roadside vine will
    >> have them stick in your skin painlessly, it requires so little pressure. If you have more than 50
    >> psi in your tire, the thorn will penetrate practically to its final depth on the first contact.
    >> The only ones you could effectively knock off are ones on the sides of the tire that would
    >> otherwise penetrate on the first corner taken.

    >> http://www.or.blm.gov/Prineville/weed/puncture.htm http://tinyurl.com/d0xo
    >> http://www.cwma.org/puncturevine.html
    >> http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0801+0392

    > Now that I know what this beast looks like I'd like to know the distribution of it in the U.S. We
    > don't seem to have it in Illinois and the Midwest. Any links?

    The trouble is that Tribulus Terrestris is cure-all for quacks and has many listings in that field,
    making it hard to find sites that discuss the plant biologically. It grows in all continents and
    thrives on barren soil. That is why it is common on western roadsides that are sprayed to suppress
    growth of flammable weeds. Puncture vine germinates after other plants have sprouted and gone and it
    grows only where there are no competitors.

    It is my observation that it sprouts only after the first real hot spell of sumer has passed,
    followed by some thunder showers here in California where we have essentially no rain all summer.
    Roundup (c) does not kill it either, so late spraying only prevents competitors from returning but
    allows its growth.

    http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/weedinfo/TRIBULUS2.html

  12. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    BE PROGRESSIVE!!! sweep glass from the street!! carry dayglo poster paper and edge it onto the pave'
    and scrap the shards off to the side. or cardboard.

  13. On Fri, 30 May 2003 02:07:50 +0000, StuBintner wrote:

    > I read with interest the thread on glass and tire wiping. Does anyone else still use tire saver
    > "wire wipes?" A few geezers that I know (and I) still do and find that they work very well. Any
    > comments?

    I used them back in the 70s. When I got back on my bike in about '95, I wandered into a bike shop
    one day looking for tires. The guy at the counter saw I was still using tubulars, and immediately
    offerred me a couple of tire savers to cut down on the flats.

    They didn't really work, and the wire (basically a piece of a spoke) wore out rather quickly. They
    did make a bit of noise, but not enough to substitute for the card in the spokes.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
    knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
    charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

  14. On Fri, 30 May 2003 06:21:42 +0000, jobst.brand wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/d0xo

    I particularly like the picture of the car tire covered with the thorns.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
    (_)/ (_) |

  15. Oh bullshit. Terry is right, they are effective at reducing the number of goatshead punctures, even
    on properly inflated tires, and even in the center of the tire. Although sharp, goatsheads are weak
    and easily broken and in the vast majority of cases don't go in straight, and get broken off before
    going in anywhere near far enough to reach the air.

    Doug

    > Terry Morse writes:
    >
    > > I used them back in the day, and they seemed pretty effective at knocking off goathead thorns
    > > before they punctured the tube. They were not at all effective at preventing glass, staple,
    > > wire, or thumbtack punctures.
    >
    > You must have been riding nearly flat tires because a puncture vine thorn is a spine standing on a
    > tetrahedron that is so sharp that lightly laying the palm of the hand on the roadside vine will
    > have them stick in your skin painlessly, it requires so little pressure. If you have more than 50
    > psi in your tire, the thorn will penetrate practically to its final depth on the first contact.
    > The only ones you could effectively knock off are ones on the sides of the tire that would
    > otherwise penetrate on the first corner taken.
    >
    > http://www.or.blm.gov/Prineville/weed/puncture.htm http://tinyurl.com/d0xo
    > http://www.cwma.org/puncturevine.html
    > http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0801+0392

  16. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    > >> You must have been riding nearly flat tires because a puncture vine thorn is a spine standing
    > >> on a tetrahedron that is so sharp that lightly laying the palm of the hand on the roadside vine
    > >> will have them stick in your skin painlessly, it requires so little pressure. If you have more
    > >> than 50 psi in your tire, the thorn will penetrate practically to its final depth on the first
    > >> contact. The only ones you could effectively knock off are ones on the sides of the tire
    that
    > >> would otherwise penetrate on the first corner taken.
    >
    > >> http://www.or.blm.gov/Prineville/weed/puncture.htm http://tinyurl.com/d0xo
    > >> http://www.cwma.org/puncturevine.html

    http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0801+0392

    > > Now that I know what this beast looks like I'd like to know the distribution of it in the U.S.
    > > We don't seem to have it in Illinois and the Midwest. Any links?
    >
    > The trouble is that Tribulus Terrestris is cure-all for quacks and has many listings in that
    > field, making it hard to find sites that discuss the plant biologically. It grows in all
    > continents and thrives on barren soil. That is why it is common on western roadsides that are
    > sprayed to suppress growth of flammable weeds. Puncture vine germinates after other plants have
    > sprouted and gone and it grows only where there are no competitors.
    >
    > It is my observation that it sprouts only after the first real hot spell of sumer has passed,
    > followed by some thunder showers here in California where we have essentially no rain all summer.
    > Roundup (c) does not kill it either, so late spraying only prevents competitors from returning but
    > allows its growth.
    >
    > http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/weedinfo/TRIBULUS2.html

    The link indicates that glyphosate (RoundUp) is effective on puncture vine. -- Jay Beattie.

  17. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Jay Beattie writes:

    >> http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/weedinfo/TRIBULUS2.html

    > The link indicates that glyphosate (RoundUp) is effective on puncture vine.

    http://www.monsanto.com.au/roundup/RoundupHerbicide.htm

    Well it's not. Back in the days when puncture vine was a mystery to bicyclists in this area (no one
    knew what the plants habitat or appearance was) I spooked around and talked to some Stanford
    biologists who were incensed that I had the temerity to disagree with their equally unknowing
    assessment of the plant. I had foolishly mentioned my observation that it only grew where the
    university sprayed roadsides and that it was a poor competitor with other weeds.

    Thereupon they began a selective spraying all summer of previously sprayed and now puncture vine
    infested roadsides. Tribulus terrestris shrank a little but repeatedly came back after being
    Roundupped(R). That Roundup(R) negatively affects puncture vine is proven, but it does not get
    rid of it.

    My main experiment was at my frame builders apartment at the time. His apartment manager kept the
    place neat and tidy and among these tasks was keeping the weeds down in the unplanted plot between
    sidewalk and street. He regularly sprayed it in spring and subsequently puncture vine with its cute
    yellow flowers kept the plot green all summer as it strayed onto the sidewalk and over the curb.

    We told the man about the flat tires it causes and demonstrated the density of goat heads in the
    vicinity. We convinced him not to spray and that we would trim the weeds. Next summer there was no
    puncture vine as we ran a lawn mower over the volunteer wild grasses and clover occasionally.

  18. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Douglas Landau writes:

    > Oh bullshit. Terry is right, they are effective at reducing the number of goatshead punctures,
    > even on properly inflated tires, and even in the center of the tire. Although sharp, goatsheads
    > are weak and easily broken and in the vast majority of cases don't go in straight, and get broken
    > off before going in anywhere near far enough to reach the air.

    Goat heads do not have feet of their own and do not travel far from the plant unless someone travels
    through their midst. I think if you take a close look at these seed pods, you'll see they are made
    of highly durable strong yet pliable wood. Therefore, getting one or two of them is a rarity and if
    you ride over a plant you will pick up at least a dozen thorns. If your tire-saver gets even half of
    them you haven't gained anything. On the other hand I have seen people sitting at the roadside
    pulling them out of their tires and discarding them onto the street. Thanks!

  19. On Fri, 30 May 2003 12:25:03 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 May 2003 06:21:42 +0000, jobst.brand wrote:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/d0xo
    >
    >I particularly like the picture of the car tire covered with the thorns.

    Don't these things break into pieces once the business end is embedded in even a car tire? I'd
    expect the other three tines to be crushed off..

    Nasty stuff.

    Jasper

  20. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:

    >>> http://tinyurl.com/d0xo

    >> I particularly like the picture of the car tire covered with the thorns.

    > Don't these things break into pieces once the business end is embedded in even a car tire? I'd
    > expect the other three tines to be crushed off..

    There are only two thorns per pod, the pod is fairly solid wood in roughly in the shape of an orange
    segment of up to 60 degrees having a single thorn extending from the middle of each arch so that one
    lies parallel to the ground while the other stands vertically. The tip-to-tip outline is a
    tetrahedron, the base edge bing the diameter of the orange slice. The flower has 5 petals and the
    pod has five segments. This can be seen in the lower picture at:

    http://www.or.blm.gov/Prineville/weed/puncture.htm

    > Nasty stuff.

    No doubt, and the spines have resin on them that make penetration extremely painful. It hurts just
    to watch a dog walk into the stuff. The only defense is to stand still and 'cry'. You must rescue
    the dog, carry it away and carefully pull out the thorns.