Glass embedded in tire?

lehowe0

Aug 30, 2005
I read on here that we should check for glass in the tire regularly. I just did that on my Continental Country tires and found three pieces embedded in the thick centerline tread. I dug 2 out with a sharp pointed knife, but the other one's in there deep, and I can scratch it with the knife, but cannot get deep enough to move it.

I figure it's been in there for a while, and probably won't do anything. I don't want to damage the rubber. Anybody got any suggestions? Ideas? Jokes?

lehowe0 said:
I read on here that we should check for glass in the tire regularly. I just did that on my Continental Country tires and found three pieces embedded in the thick centerline tread. I dug 2 out with a sharp pointed knife, but the other one's in there deep, and I can scratch it with the knife, but cannot get deep enough to move it.

I figure it's been in there for a while, and probably won't do anything. I don't want to damage the rubber. Anybody got any suggestions? Ideas? Jokes?

Take the tire off the rim so you can fold and manipulate the tire and it'll come out. If you leave it in there it will more likely go deeper than come out on its own.

DiabloScott said:
Take the tire off the rim so you can fold and manipulate the tire and it'll come out. If you leave it in there it will more likely go deeper than come out on its own.
Diablo, Thanks for your reply. In this case, I'm not sure that will work because this is a big tire (26X1.90), and the center tread is really thick, so I think it will defy manipulation. This is also a pretty small piece of glass. (But it may be long, I don't know).

lehowe0 said:
Diablo, Thanks for your reply. In this case, I'm not sure that will work because this is a big tire (26X1.90), and the center tread is really thick, so I think it will defy manipulation. This is also a pretty small piece of glass. (But it may be long, I don't know).

The idea is to manipulate the tire so that it's easier to get in there with your tweezers or sharp pointy tool - not to coax the shard out by manipulation alone.

It'll work. Also, by taking the tire off you'll be able to see if the glass cut any of the casing cords from the inside.

DiabloScott said:
The idea is to manipulate the tire so that it's easier to get in there with your tweezers or sharp pointy tool - not to coax the shard out by manipulation alone.

It'll work. Also, by taking the tire off you'll be able to see if the glass cut any of the casing cords from the inside.
I'm gonna try that this evening with thorn tweezers.

BTW, have you used those Conti-Gatorskins yet? I'm wanting to but a pair of them, but undecided between them and the Armadillos. I hate flats.

I found its way in so I'm sure with a little help it can find its way out again. I suppse you are better off leaving it if you are going to put a huge split in your tyre though.

MichaelB said:
I found its way in so I'm sure with a little help it can find its way out again. I suppse you are better off leaving it if you are going to put a huge split in your tyre though.
Yes, I'm gonna try Diablo's method later, but if that doesn't work I'll just leave it. It's a pretty small piece. I think it would've flatted a road tire already. I might be able to crush it into powder with the right tool.

lehowe0 said:

BTW, have you used those Conti-Gatorskins yet? I'm wanting to but a pair of them, but undecided between them and the Armadillos. I hate flats.

Yeah - so far so good. After a slightly rainy ride up the mountain on my Merckx about 10 days ago I noticed a sidewall split in my Conti 2000's - I'd heard Conti's had more incidence of this but the tires were about worn out anyway so I figure I got my money's worth out of them - the rubber was hard and cracked too. So I put the Ultra Gatorskins on that night and have been riding them on my commutes - some very rainy. I think most flats are just bad luck but a little extra tread thickness and casing protection don't hurt. Anyway they look nice and handle well so I'm happy. Maybe I'll do a product review after a couple more months. The 2006 model is slightly changed - I don't know if they're REALLY any better but the 2005s are being heavily discounted.

Never tried Armadillos.

lehowe0 said:

Fuhgetabout the gatorskins, go with the armadillo. I've run through 3 gatorskins, maybe 4. Once, the side wall split. Another time glass tore through the tire. I wore out another one. I'm running one on my front wheel now, and it's been flat once. But that's surprising, since I've had tons of flats with the gatorskins anyways. I'm now running an armadillo on the back, and it's great. Except for the 4 flats I've had on it, too.
Since I don't trust patches, I always replace the tube. Getting expensive, let me tell you.
So like I said, get the armabilbo.

Specialized Armadillo...have been using it on my front wheel for about 3000 kms so far and although it might appear heavy and slow...(just like me!!!) it actually feels OK. I always keep it inflated to 100p.s.i. and presume that, because the "crown" of the tread seems sharply triangular in cross-section, the contact patch must be pretty narrow- it don't feel heavy.
Gotta love the way it handles glass-strewn bike paths here in Perth...and also the "bermuda triangle" that extends about a metre from the kerb, which enjoys a lovely carpet of crushed glass. Most mornings when I arrive at work, although I am tired, I check the "tyre" (note spelling of "tyre" you americans) and it is clean.
Have used lots of different tyres, and am tired of the old "I love Conti GP" line that I keep hearing.
Yeah, it may be wickedly fast, but it will feel bloody slow when you see your bunch disappear over a distant hill, whille you're standing on the footpath angrily ripping out yet another punctured tube.
No, I don't work for Specialized, I buy all my tyres at retail price.
:cool: