Glass pieces in tires

On May 7, 12:32 am, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Bob wrote:
> > <landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I also
> > remember when it was normal to brush off your tires on the move with
> > the palm of your gloves. Yikes.

> > This sounds like you think that is either abnormal or a thing of the
> > past (or possibly both) when in fact it's neither.

> Lots of things are normal, but ineffective. This is one. By the time
> you get around to reaching down with your hand after passing through
> glass, there has been several wheel revolutions. By that time the
> glass, if there, is being driven into the wheel, which will result in a
> flat.
>
> I'll often reach
>
> > down and brush off my front tire while moving although I wouldn't
> > recommend trying to brush off the rear tire in that fashion for
> > obvious reasons.

> Back when I did brush off my tires, being told to do the normal thing, I
> had no trouble brushing off the back wheel.

But would you *recommend* it to 90% of the riders you see? I sure
wouldn't. I see far too many riders that can barely manage to hold a
line when looking left or right or riding hands free. Darned if I'm
going to suggest they either turn to look at their rear wheel or,
worse yet, stick a hand back there without looking. As for its
effectiveness, it's like tying and soldering spokes- it may not help
at all but it doesn't hurt so if someone wants to do it why "yikes"?.
<g>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

On 7 May 2007 07:59:50 -0700, amakyonin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On May 4, 11:14 am, dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 May 2007 09:04:41 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
>> >Do you just visually inspect the tire before/after each ride? Getting glass
>> >out quickly helps it not work in so far as to flat you out.

>> I can't say I visually inspect them before each ride. I don't think a
>> visual inspection would find this stuff though. The glass hides in
>> these really tiny rips in the tires, I don't know how they can find
>> those tiny rips :)

>I use a pointy awl-like tool to probe into suspicious looking cuts
>when I'm inspecting my tires. You can tell by feel and sound if there
>is something in there that can't be seen from the outside.

That's not a bad idea. It's what I was doing with the tire off; I
guess maybe it would work with it mounted. Of course, there is the
chance of actually pushing the glass into the tube. It's probably
necessary to use some intelligence while probing. There's nothing in
my all-in-one that's awl-like though. I can carry a paperclip I
suppose.