Glass

Peter

Guest
There's some discussion regarding introducing container deposits in NSW
in an article on the smh website.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dhofc

Having found myself stranded with glass in the tyre and a tube of dried
up glue on Thursday, I think it's a great idea to get as many bottles as
possible back to the manufacturers rather than on the roads.

Might be worth contacting that baldy headed bloke who used to be in a
rock band to let him know it woud be good for cyclists.

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:52:40 +1100
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

> I wonder how many people will make an extra trip in the car just to
> drop off a load of bottles, thereby negating the good of 100 people
> who would have left their bottles for roadside collection.

If the Adelaide experience is any guide, not that many really.

Some people do, a lot of people wait for the local school or scout
group to do a bottle drive.

last bottle drive I saw (which was, I admit, a long time ago) involved
boy scouts on bicycles with backpacks to take bottles and cans.

> It's the reason I don't get the plumber out as soon as a tap starts to
> leak -- the plumber driving his van here will use far more water in

No, you drop by the hardware store next time you are in the area and
get a seal. It's not *that* hard to do!

Zebee

On 2008-01-20, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:52:40 +1100
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> It's the reason I don't get the plumber out as soon as a tap starts to
>> leak -- the plumber driving his van here will use far more water in

> No, you drop by the hardware store next time you are in the area and
> get a seal.

Hopefully not in the car :)

> It's not *that* hard to do!

True. Although the second last time I did it, I screwed it up
royally. Well, the tap was stuffed anyway, so I couldn't break it
anymore. I reckon the next time I need to replace a washer, I'll
break the tap to the building. That thing is even more screwed than
the rest of the taps in the building. The best part of the water to
this building, is I had hot water for my entire shower, just turning
the cold tap on, for the entire duration sometime last week. This is
12 hours after the pipes last were exposed to the heat of the day.
I've got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do.

--
TimC
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform. -- unknown

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2008-01-20, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
>> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:52:40 +1100
>> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> It's the reason I don't get the plumber out as soon as a tap starts to
>>> leak -- the plumber driving his van here will use far more water in

>> No, you drop by the hardware store next time you are in the area and
>> get a seal.

> Hopefully not in the car :)
>
>> It's not *that* hard to do!

> True. Although the second last time I did it, I screwed it up
> royally. Well, the tap was stuffed anyway, so I couldn't break it
> anymore. I reckon the next time I need to replace a washer, I'll
> break the tap to the building. That thing is even more screwed than
> the rest of the taps in the building. The best part of the water to
> this building, is I had hot water for my entire shower, just turning
> the cold tap on, for the entire duration sometime last week. This is
> 12 hours after the pipes last were exposed to the heat of the day.
> I've got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do.

Replace the seat as well as the vlave next time. Incidentally, given that
the plumber's van is already made, his using it doesn't require more steel
to be produced.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I seem to recall that the streets of Adelaide have far fewer bogan
> droppings than those of other cities.
>
> Don't even see many in the yobbo areas like Elizabeth.
>
> Trained from childhood that the things mean money I suppose.

I remember being followed around the park by a kid waiting for me to finish
my coke in Adelaide. Mind you, 5c was a lot more then.

Theo

On 2008-01-20, Resound (aka Bruce)

> "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> True. Although the second last time I did it, I screwed it up
>> royally. Well, the tap was stuffed anyway, so I couldn't break it
>> anymore. I reckon the next time I need to replace a washer, I'll
>> break the tap to the building. That thing is even more screwed than
>> the rest of the taps in the building. The best part of the water to
>> this building, is I had hot water for my entire shower, just turning
>> the cold tap on, for the entire duration sometime last week. This is
>> 12 hours after the pipes last were exposed to the heat of the day.
>> I've got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do.

> Replace the seat as well as the vlave next time.

Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

> Incidentally, given that
> the plumber's van is already made, his using it doesn't require more steel
> to be produced.

Yeahbut if enough people employ him, there'll be a need for another
plumber and their van.

But construction isn't the only time when water and energy are used.

--
TimC
"If you already know what recursion is, just remember the answer. Otherwise,

TimC wrote:
> On 2008-01-20, Resound wrote

>> Replace the seat as well as the vlave next time.

> Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
> knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

Yes you're confused. Seats are recut, a cheapo seat cutter will cost you
$10-$20, and very easy to use. I don't have one personally, but I have a
very good mate who's a plumber. :)

Theo

On Jan 20, 9:45 pm, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> > I seem to recall that the streets of Adelaide have far fewer bogan
> > droppings than those of other cities.

> > Don't even see many in the yobbo areas like Elizabeth.

> > Trained from childhood that the things mean money I suppose.

> I remember being followed around the park by a kid waiting for me to finish
> my coke in Adelaide. Mind you, 5c was a lot more then.
>
> Theo

Mostly in Adelaide it's the old men following the kids around the
park, offering them 5c
;)

Donga

In article <[email protected]>,
"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:

> TimC wrote:
> > On 2008-01-20, Resound wrote

> >> Replace the seat as well as the vlave next time.

> > Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
> > knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

> Yes you're confused. Seats are recut, a cheapo seat cutter will cost you
> $10-$20, and very easy to use. I don't have one personally, but I have a
> very good mate who's a plumber. :)
>
> Theo

Plumbers encourage people to have a go at reseating the tap. Do it wrong
(most likely outcome) and they get to replace the tap instead of just
the washer. The cutters end up corrugating the seat because they
'chatter'. You would be better off using valve paste for reseating
exhaust valves in combustion engines.

It is far cheaper to buy, by cycling to the hardware shop (obligatory
bike reference) and replace the entire tap than to call out a plumber.

20cents

20cents wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
>> TimC wrote:

>>> Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
>>> knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

>> Yes you're confused. Seats are recut, a cheapo seat cutter will cost
>> you $10-$20, and very easy to use. I don't have one personally, but
>> I have a very good mate who's a plumber. :)

> Plumbers encourage people to have a go at reseating the tap. Do it
> wrong (most likely outcome) and they get to replace the tap instead
> of just the washer. The cutters end up corrugating the seat because
> they 'chatter'. You would be better off using valve paste for
> reseating exhaust valves in combustion engines.
>
> It is far cheaper to buy, by cycling to the hardware shop (obligatory
> bike reference) and replace the entire tap than to call out a plumber.

<shrug> You pick your level of competence/expertise, or pay a plumber.
Replacing the entire tap is cheap and easy if it is an outside 'garden'
style tap. The one in your bathroom sink might be a diffferent
proposition/cost. If it is the one in your shower, replacement is a very
expensive option indeed, requiring at least two tradesmen, and finding
matching tiles.

Theo
My two bob's worth.

On Jan 21, 2:59 pm, 20cents <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > TimC wrote:
> > > On 2008-01-20, Resound wrote

> > > Don't the extractors cost a good $50 or so (and then there's the
> > > knowing how to use them)? Or am I getting confused?

> > Yes you're confused. Seats are recut, a cheapo seat cutter will cost you
> > $10-$20, and very easy to use. I don't have one personally, but I have a
> > very good mate who's a plumber. :)

> > Theo

> Plumbers encourage people to have a go at reseating the tap. Do it wrong
> (most likely outcome) and they get to replace the tap instead of just
> the washer. The cutters end up corrugating the seat because they
> 'chatter'. You would be better off using valve paste for reseating
> exhaust valves in combustion engines.
>
> It is far cheaper to buy, by cycling to the hardware shop (obligatory
> bike reference) and replace the entire tap than to call out a plumber.
>
> 20cents

It's not so much chatter as pressing too hard and finishing with the
cutter engaged with the seat, you're supposed to back it off while
still rotating (so I'm told).

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2:59 pm, 20cents <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,

>>> Yes you're confused. Seats are recut, a cheapo seat cutter will cost you
>>> $10-$20, and very easy to use. I don't have one personally, but I have a
>>> very good mate who's a plumber. :)
>>> Theo

>> Plumbers encourage people to have a go at reseating the tap. Do it wrong
>> (most likely outcome) and they get to replace the tap instead of just
>> the washer. The cutters end up corrugating the seat because they
>> 'chatter'. You would be better off using valve paste for reseating
>> exhaust valves in combustion engines.
>>
>> It is far cheaper to buy, by cycling to the hardware shop (obligatory
>> bike reference) and replace the entire tap than to call out a plumber.
>>
>> 20cents

> It's not so much chatter as pressing too hard and finishing with the
> cutter engaged with the seat, you're supposed to back it off while
> still rotating (so I'm told).

Keep putting vaseline on it and cut thin layers and it won't chatter.

On 2008-01-21, Russell Shaw (aka Bruce)
> [email protected] wrote:
>> It's not so much chatter as pressing too hard and finishing with the
>> cutter engaged with the seat, you're supposed to back it off while
>> still rotating (so I'm told).

> Keep putting vaseline on it and cut thin layers and it won't chatter.

This reminds me of the old method of tightening screws:

Tighten until you strip the threads, then back it off half a turn.

--
TimC
The Klein-Gordon equation was derived by Schroedinger.