Glasses Mirror

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Keith Willoughby, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. The one thing I've never got used to, and the biggest thing that puts me
    off cycling on the road, is the horrible sensation I get as I anticipate
    being overtaken by a car, and the tenseness it creates. I think I'd be a
    lot better about it if I could see the car approaching.

    However, I don't fancy a chunky mirror attached to the bars, so I was
    fancying one of those glasses-mounted mirrors. Does anyone have any
    first-hand experience of them, and a recommendation? Also, does anyone
    know of a UK source of them (I've seen them on the Kinetics website, and
    I'd get them there if I had to, but 13 quid plus 2.50 postage was a few
    quid more than I was expecting for a bit of plastic :))

    (Helmet mounts are no good, btw. No helmet.)

    "We are not the only experiment"

    Tags:

  2. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 02:39:29 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    <[email protected]> () wrote:

    >The one thing I've never got used to, and the biggest thing that puts me
    >off cycling on the road, is the horrible sensation I get as I anticipate
    >being overtaken by a car, and the tenseness it creates. I think I'd be a
    >lot better about it if I could see the car approaching.
    >
    >However, I don't fancy a chunky mirror attached to the bars, so I was
    >fancying one of those glasses-mounted mirrors. Does anyone have any
    >first-hand experience of them, and a recommendation? Also, does anyone
    >know of a UK source of them (I've seen them on the Kinetics website, and
    >I'd get them there if I had to, but 13 quid plus 2.50 postage was a few
    >quid more than I was expecting for a bit of plastic :))

    I've got one of those 3rd eye glasses-mount mirrors and I'm very happy
    with it. When it breaks, I'll probably replace it with another one.
    I've got a PFDB-mount[1] mirror as well and the two give me just about
    360-degree vision. Very nifty even though when combined with
    PFDB-mounted lights it makes me look like something out of the Borg
    Collective.

    You might be able to get a 3rd Eye mirror cheaper from the US,
    depending on postage costs. Worth dropping them an e-mail?

    --
    Matt K
    Waikikamukau,NZ.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Keith Willoughby wrote:
    > The one thing I've never got used to, and the biggest thing that puts me
    > off cycling on the road, is the horrible sensation I get as I anticipate
    > being overtaken by a car, and the tenseness it creates. I think I'd be a
    > lot better about it if I could see the car approaching.
    >
    > However, I don't fancy a chunky mirror attached to the bars, so I was
    > fancying one of those glasses-mounted mirrors. Does anyone have any
    > first-hand experience of them, and a recommendation? Also, does anyone
    > know of a UK source of them (I've seen them on the Kinetics website, and
    > I'd get them there if I had to, but 13 quid plus 2.50 postage was a few
    > quid more than I was expecting for a bit of plastic :))
    >
    > (Helmet mounts are no good, btw. No helmet.)

    I bought one and didn't get on with it. Always having to mess around
    angling the mirror and my head to be able to see. Gave mine away (IIRC)
    to Danny Colyer on this group but don't know if he fared any better with it.

    The bar mounted ones are far better IMO.

    Tony

  4. On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:33:53 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

    > I bought one and didn't get on with it. Always having to mess around
    > angling the mirror and my head to be able to see. Gave mine away (IIRC)
    > to Danny Colyer on this group but don't know if he fared any better with it.

    Rather unfunny comment, but Danny would have more use
    for a head-mounted wirecutter!

    Hope to goodness such things never, ever have to be thought about
    and that scrotes who stretch lines across roads and paths are caught...

  5. Whingin ' Pom wrote:

    > I've got one of those 3rd eye glasses-mount mirrors and I'm very happy
    > with it. When it breaks, I'll probably replace it with another one.

    Cheers. I was just looking for one person to say it worked for
    them. I'll give one a go.

    [...]

    > You might be able to get a 3rd Eye mirror cheaper from the US,
    > depending on postage costs. Worth dropping them an e-mail?

    $13 including shipping, by the looks of it - except I'd have to faff
    around with an international money order!

    "Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without
    fighting."
    - Sun Tzu

  6. Tony Raven wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby wrote:

    [...]

    > I bought one and didn't get on with it. Always having to mess around
    > angling the mirror and my head to be able to see. Gave mine away
    > (IIRC) to Danny Colyer on this group but don't know if he fared any
    > better with it.

    Paging Danny Colyer! Mr Colyer to the white courtesy phone.

    > The bar mounted ones are far better IMO.

    I already have bar-ends, a computer, and a light on there. I was trying
    to avoid the clutter.

    "Did you threaten to overrule him?"

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > I bought one and didn't get on with it. Always having to mess around
    > angling the mirror and my head to be able to see. Gave mine away (IIRC)
    > to Danny Colyer on this group but don't know if he fared any better with
    > it.

    I got one on Danny's recommendation (3rd Eye Heads Up, from Kinetics).
    It works pretty well, or it would work pretty well if I could remember
    where I've put it!

    Main downside was the minor faff attaching it to my glasses any time I
    went riding, compared to the B&M CycleStar on the bars which is just
    /there/ every time I get on the bike.

    A built in mirror is probably Not Too Clever on an MTB used for its
    avowed purpose, or a stripped down road racer, but for a utility cycle
    and/or tourer I don't see many arguments against.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  8. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 09:08:37 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    <[email protected]> () wrote:

    >Whingin ' Pom wrote:
    >
    >> I've got one of those 3rd eye glasses-mount mirrors and I'm very happy
    >> with it. When it breaks, I'll probably replace it with another one.

    >Cheers. I was just looking for one person to say it worked for
    >them. I'll give one a go.

    Certainly worth trying one. You may also find that one of those
    stretchy bands to keep your glasses in one place useful if they have a
    habit of sliding down your nose. Like mine do.

    >[...]
    >
    >> You might be able to get a 3rd Eye mirror cheaper from the US,
    >> depending on postage costs. Worth dropping them an e-mail?

    >$13 including shipping, by the looks of it - except I'd have to faff
    >around with an international money order!

    :-(

    --
    Matt K.
    Sinister Dexter has a broken spirometer.

  9. Keith Willoughby wrote:

    > However, I don't fancy a chunky mirror attached to the bars, so I was
    > fancying one of those glasses-mounted mirrors. Does anyone have any
    > first-hand experience of them, and a recommendation? Also, does anyone
    > know of a UK source of them

    I've been using a Take-A-Look for the past two years. It is this:
    excellent. I got mine in the US (cheers, Garrie!) but there's now a UK
    supplier advertising in the back of the CTC mag.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >
    >> However, I don't fancy a chunky mirror attached to the bars, so I was
    >> fancying one of those glasses-mounted mirrors. Does anyone have any
    >> first-hand experience of them, and a recommendation? Also, does anyone
    >> know of a UK source of them

    > I've been using a Take-A-Look for the past two years. It is this:
    > excellent. I got mine in the US (cheers, Garrie!) but there's now a UK
    > supplier advertising in the back of the CTC mag.

    Ta. Looks like a nice one.

    "Once Allende comes to power we shall do all within our power
    to condemn Chile and all Chileans to utmost deprivation and poverty."
    -- Edward Korry

  11. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Whingin' Pom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > You might be able to get a 3rd Eye mirror cheaper from the US,
    > depending on postage costs. Worth dropping them an e-mail?

    Though they do drive on the wrong side of the road so you need to be sure it
    will be correctly 'handed'.

  12. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Tony Raven wrote (of the 3rd Eye):
    > I bought one and didn't get on with it. Always having to mess around
    > angling the mirror and my head to be able to see. Gave mine away (IIRC)
    > to Danny Colyer on this group but don't know if he fared any better with
    > it.

    I got along very well with it, thanks Tony. It's ideal for recumbent
    riding and unicycling, though I can't see myself using it on an upright.

    I'd read that the mounting gubbins was prone to breaking, particularly
    in the winter when the plastic gets brittle, and sure enough it snapped
    in the middle of the winter. I fixed it with a cocktail stick splint
    and gaffer tape, that held for a couple of months, but I've since
    replaced it. I find it useful enough that I don't object to having to
    spend 12 quid on a new one every year, if necessary.

    Kinetics sell the 3rd Eye and another glasses mounting mirror, the Heads
    Up, which I think I might try next time:
    <URL:http://kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.shtml>

  13. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    ScumOfTheRoad wrote:
    > Rather unfunny comment, but Danny would have more use
    > for a head-mounted wirecutter!

    Funnily enough, I was thinking along those lines last night. I've often
    toyed with the idea of getting a Streamer fairing [1] for my bike, but
    the cost is such that I'm reluctant to shell out without a test ride.
    It occurred to me that I could attach a couple of vertical poles to the
    top trailing edger of the fairing, extending to just above head height.
    With a bit of luck, the vertical poles would break any future fishing
    lines and save my neck.

    It might not work, and even if I got the fairing I'm still short on
    tuits, but it's something I'm sure I'll spend a lot more time thinking
    about.

    [1] <URL:http://kinetics.org.uk/html/wavey___streamer.shtml#streamer>

  14. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    "Whingin' Pom" suggested:
    >>You might be able to get a 3rd Eye mirror cheaper from the US,
    >>depending on postage costs. Worth dropping them an e-mail?

    to which Tony W replied:
    > Though they do drive on the wrong side of the road so you need to be sure it
    > will be correctly 'handed'.

    Not sure if you're joking or not, but I'll bite. The 3rd Eye has two
    ball and socket joints. The one that adjusts the 'handedness' will
    readily rotate through 360 degrees.

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > ScumOfTheRoad wrote:
    >
    >> Rather unfunny comment, but Danny would have more use
    >> for a head-mounted wirecutter!

    > Funnily enough, I was thinking along those lines last night. I've often
    > toyed with the idea of getting a Streamer fairing [1] for my bike, but
    > the cost is such that I'm reluctant to shell out without a test ride. It
    > occurred to me that I could attach a couple of vertical poles to the top
    > trailing edger of the fairing, extending to just above head height.
    > With a bit of luck, the vertical poles would break any future fishing
    > lines and save my neck.
    >
    > It might not work, and even if I got the fairing I'm still short on
    > tuits, but it's something I'm sure I'll spend a lot more time thinking
    > about.
    >
    > [1] <URL:http://kinetics.org.uk/html/wavey___streamer.shtml#streamer>

    James Bond had a nifty cable cutter on one of his cars IIRC

    Tony

  16. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    >
    >> ScumOfTheRoad wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rather unfunny comment, but Danny would have more use
    >>> for a head-mounted wirecutter!

    >> Funnily enough, I was thinking along those lines last night.
    >> I've often toyed with the idea of getting a Streamer fairing
    >> [1] for my bike, but the cost is such that I'm reluctant to
    >> shell out without a test ride. It occurred to me that I could
    >> attach a couple of vertical poles to the top trailing edger
    >> of the fairing, extending to just above head height. With a
    >> bit of luck, the vertical poles would break any future
    >> fishing lines and save my neck.
    >>
    >> It might not work, and even if I got the fairing I'm still
    >> short on tuits, but it's something I'm sure I'll spend a lot
    >> more time thinking about.
    >>
    >> [1]
    >> <URL:http://kinetics.org.uk/html/wavey___streamer.shtml#streamer>
    >>

    > James Bond had a nifty cable cutter on one of his cars IIRC
    >
    > Tony

    Tomorrow never dies. I've just seen it on ITV.
    --
    Mark

    1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

  17. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Though they do drive on the wrong side of the road so you need to be

    sure it
    > > will be correctly 'handed'.

    > Not sure if you're joking or not, but I'll bite. The 3rd Eye has two
    > ball and socket joints. The one that adjusts the 'handedness' will
    > readily rotate through 360 degrees.

    I wasn't joking -- but you have confirmed that they are inherently
    ambidextrous.

    Thanks

  18. > I've been using a Take-A-Look for the past two years. It is this:
    > excellent.

    Take-A-Look is definitely the best of its kind. If you have tried the
    other kinds and not got on with them, I'd recommend giving the
    take-a-look a go - it's a whole different animal, IMO.

    Reviews here: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml

    I bought one (complete with proper handing for riding on the lft side
    of the road) direct from the makers in the USA back when I lived in
    the UK, using a credit card. It arrived in the post within a few days,
    no probs. They sell them in good bike shops over here (USA).

    All of these things are too heavy for very light wire-framed specs - I
    wear contacts and Oakley M's and the take-a-look works perfectly.

    --
    Peter Headland

  19. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > It occurred to me that I could attach a couple of vertical poles to the
    > top trailing edger of the fairing, extending to just above head height.
    > With a bit of luck, the vertical poles would break any future fishing
    > lines and save my neck.

    Maybe one of those glorified letter openers would be better, like the
    things you can see here <www.safetycutters.com>. I had a similarly
    designed safety knife for canoeing and it still worked well when it
    was totally knackered with rust. I'm sure it could cope even with a
    fairly narrow wire. Mind you, if it couldn't you'd then have to
    contend with the wire+blade+lump of plastic pinging towards your
    noggin at high speed :-(

    Graeme

  20. james

    james Guest

    Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ...I was
    > fancying one of those glasses-mounted mirrors. Does anyone have any
    > first-hand experience of them, and a recommendation? Also, does anyone
    > know of a UK source of them

    I have a take-a-look mirror from a chap who imports them from the US.
    [email protected] or 01425 674898. He advertises at GBP13.25 plus
    GBP1.25 p&p but does club discounts (of a pound or two iirc) for CTC
    LCC etc.

    I have been happy with the compact model and you don't run the risk of
    the legs breaking as apparently the third eye ones do occaisionally.
    It took a couple of weeks to get used to focussing and angling my head
    correctly but I am very happy with it. It mounts and dismounts easily
    and seems to hold its adjustment well. The main faff is storage when
    off the bike (mine lives in a rigid glasses case). My glasses arm is
    approx 2x1mm rectangular section.

    BTW, third eye will sell direct internationally. See ice bike for
    links and also for take-a-look info
    http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Equipment/cyclingmirrors.htm
    They have added another product since I last looked. Cycle-aware who
    also seem to do a lens-mount mirror

    best wishes
    james