Glasses question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sandy Christmus, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. You all have been very helpful in the past and
    I'm impressed with the knowledge that's flowing in this group.

    I think I need some cycling specific non-prescription glasses. I'm using a $5.99 Wal-Mart set that
    actually is working pretty well, but I want some options. I have access to a couple of types I'd
    like to get some opinions on.

    1) Bolle 752 Vigilante Dual/Interchangeable sunglasses - Grey gun lenses and high contrast
    Vermillion lenses included. List $110, now only 39.97.

    2) Uvex Pola Switch Pack - Polarized gray, amber flash and clear flash lenses. List $60, now
    only $39.99.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Sandy

    Tags:

  2. Tom S

    Tom S Guest

    Sandy:

    I have been asking myself the same question the last few days and ordered the Bolle' Vigilante's
    this evening from Performance. I couldn't pass up the $40 price and, after going through several
    pair of "el cheapos" a year, it may save a few dollars in the long run. Hopefully, the decision and
    the glasses will stand the test of time.

    Good luck!

    Tom S

  3. "Sandy Christmus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I hope this is the right place to ask this question. You all have been very helpful in the past
    > and I'm impressed with the knowledge that's flowing in this group.
    >
    > I think I need some cycling specific non-prescription glasses. I'm using a $5.99 Wal-Mart set that
    > actually is working pretty well, but I want some options. I have access to a couple of types I'd
    > like to get some opinions on.
    >
    > 1) Bolle 752 Vigilante Dual/Interchangeable sunglasses - Grey gun lenses and high contrast
    > Vermillion lenses included. List $110, now only 39.97.
    >
    > 2) Uvex Pola Switch Pack - Polarized gray, amber flash and clear flash lenses. List $60, now only
    > $39.99.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sandy

    I use the Bolle's with prescription inserts. Had them for two years and would buy another pair. What
    you get when you buy good quality eyewear are superior optics and well-made products.

    If you could make a direct, side-by-side comparison of the optical qualities of your Wal-Mart
    glasses against the Bolle's or the Uvex, you would be amazed. Do your eyes a favor, get the good
    ones. My pick is Bolle

  4. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I have the Bolle Parole (now called something else) which are the same as the Vigilante but a bit
    smaller. I like 'em a lot. Several interchangeable lenses (I use gray, amber, and clear), good
    coverage, and I have the prescription insert. Ebay regularly has these new for $50.

  5. Dave Thompson wrote:

    > If you could make a direct, side-by-side comparison of the optical qualities of your Wal-Mart
    > glasses against the Bolle's or the Uvex, you would be amazed. Do your eyes a favor, get the good
    > ones. My pick is Bolle

    Uvex also makes some glasses of the same optical quality that sell for as little as $10-15 in tool
    and hardware stores. <G>

    My favorite pairs of sunny, summer riding glasses are US Safety "Landscaper's Mirror Safety Glasses"
    that have an Oakley-ish look. $9 at Lowes! They are very comfortable, optically excellent,
    adjustable, and light. They look good enough that several others on the regular group rides I do
    have also purchased them.

    Barry

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Check www.uvex.com. Model Skyper interchangeable lenses and meets ANSI standards. Excellent optical
    quality and great wind protection.

    Sold on any Snap On truck under the Snapon brand for $12. About $10 bought from a safety
    supply house.

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:13:54 GMT, Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote:

    >2) Uvex Pola Switch Pack - Polarized gray, amber flash and clear flash lenses. List $60, now only
    > $39.99.

  7. Jim Champoux

    Jim Champoux Guest

    "Sandy Christmus" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I hope this is the right place to ask this question. You all have been very helpful in the past
    > and I'm impressed with the knowledge that's flowing in this group.
    >
    > I think I need some cycling specific non-prescription glasses. I'm using a $5.99 Wal-Mart set that
    > actually is working pretty well, but I want some options. I have access to a couple of types I'd
    > like to get some opinions on.
    >
    > 1) Bolle 752 Vigilante Dual/Interchangeable sunglasses - Grey gun lenses and high contrast
    > Vermillion lenses included. List $110, now only 39.97.
    >
    > 2) Uvex Pola Switch Pack - Polarized gray, amber flash and clear flash lenses. List $60, now only
    > $39.99.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sandy

    For very nice glasses, cheap, Check out stock number 53381BL at $11.50 each buy two, or buy one and
    buy a couple clear pairs for twilight(bug time). I highly recommend these glasses.

    http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=3226&parent_id=3673

    jim

    [email protected] remove road rash, insert browser name

  8. Dougc

    Dougc Guest

    I have the Bolle Vigilantes and like them. I paid full price a year ago, though, because I also got
    the prescription inserts. I looked at Oakleys, too, but they were much more expensive and lacked the
    interchangable lenses. I find that constantly swap lenses. I ride in the dark a good bit, so I get a
    lot of use out of the clear lenses. At $39, they are a steal. I almost wonder whether I should get
    another pair just as backup.

  9. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    I buy Briko glasses from this European mail

  10. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

  11. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Larry - that is an excellent article, but I've seen articles which compare expensive glasses with
    cheap ones which imply that some of the cheap ones are just as good as the more expensive ones (or
    converseley, some of the more expensive ones are no better than cheap ones). Personally, I wear a
    pair of Revo H2O's that I got in a yard sale for under $100, and I love them, but they're glass and
    I worry about their safety in a crash, so I'm looking for something more appropriate to cycling.

    Lawrence Fieman wrote:

    > "Sandy Christmus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3EA7567[email protected]...
    > >>
    > > I think I need some cycling specific non-prescription glasses. > Any
    > ideas?
    > >

    > Reading *How Sunglasses Work* is one place to start: http://travel.howstuffworks.com/sunglass.htm
    >
    > Regards, Larry "Yard Sale Ray Bans" Fieman

  12. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "Sandy Christmus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I hope this is the right place to ask this question. You all have been very helpful in the past
    > and I'm impressed with the knowledge that's flowing in this group.
    >
    > I think I need some cycling specific non-prescription glasses. I'm using a $5.99 Wal-Mart set that
    > actually is working pretty well, but I want some options. I have access to a couple of types I'd
    > like to get some opinions on.
    >
    > 1) Bolle 752 Vigilante Dual/Interchangeable sunglasses - Grey gun lenses and high contrast
    > Vermillion lenses included. List $110, now only 39.97.
    >
    > 2) Uvex Pola Switch Pack - Polarized gray, amber flash and clear flash lenses. List $60, now only
    > $39.99.

    The best place to buy sunglasses on this planet is:
    https://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=3228&parent_id=3673

    Hawke

  13. "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Larry - that is an excellent article, but I've seen articles which compare expensive glasses with
    > cheap ones which imply that some of the cheap ones are just as good as the more expensive ones (or
    > converseley, some of the more expensive ones are no better than cheap ones). Personally, I wear a
    > pair of Revo H2O's that I got in a yard sale for under $100, and I love them, but they're glass
    > and I worry about their safety in a crash, so I'm looking for something more appropriate to
    > cycling.

    Gary, Thanks. Got the URLs for the articles you've seen, by any chance? Yard sale season is upon us.
    I'll be looking for another pair of $3 ray bans.

    Larry

  14. Bobv

    Bobv Guest

    Thanks Jim & Hawke for this great site. I just ordered 4 pair of their glasses for my wife and
    myself. I will post a follow up on what I think of them after some use.

    Bob

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:06:27 GMT, "bosaci" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Sandy Christmus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I hope this is the right place to ask this question. You all have been very helpful in the past
    >> and I'm impressed with the knowledge that's flowing in this group.
    >>
    >> I think I need some cycling specific non-prescription glasses. I'm using a $5.99 Wal-Mart set
    >> that actually is working pretty well, but I want some options. I have access to a couple of types
    >> I'd like to get some opinions on.
    >>
    >> 1) Bolle 752 Vigilante Dual/Interchangeable sunglasses - Grey gun lenses and high contrast
    >> Vermillion lenses included. List $110, now only 39.97.
    >>
    >> 2) Uvex Pola Switch Pack - Polarized gray, amber flash and clear flash lenses. List $60, now
    >> only $39.99.
    >
    >The best place to buy sunglasses on this planet is:
    >https://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=3228&parent_id=3673
    >
    >Hawke

  15. Jim

    Jim Guest

    You wont be sorry, especially if you bought the blu-block copper lenses.

    jim