glasses?

cpeters

Nov 1, 2007
Does anyone know where to get sport cycling glasses that are capable of having a perscription lense insert? I think Specialized has a model but i don't know where to find it.
Thanks for any help.

Bolle and Rudy Project are two I'm familiar with. I've got the Bolle Vigilante with prescription insert, but have found the vision is just not optimum for my eyes. For sharpest vision, I prefer aviator-style prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses.

Rudy Project is a click-through at the top of this thread, so it won't be hard to find. They offer "RX-direct" glasses without the insert, which would be my choice for clearest vision. Likely expensive though, but seeing well really does enhance the bike ride :)

I'll put a plug in for www.sportsoptical.com too - he'll customize just about any pair of glasses for you. Yes, its a bit more expensive, but well worth it if you ask me. I got custom lenses for a pair of Smith frames and they are probably the best ones I've ever had. He'll also do lenses for a lot of people that have been told by everyone else that prescription wrap arounds are out of the question. (Oakley wouldn't make a pair for me - my face is too small)

I bought mine off Ebay and they work very well. Interchangeable and one set of prescription glasses can be fitted to more than one set of sun glasses.
MOONDOG-II by KONTROL SPORTS.
Looks like it might be an Australian Company, not sure what the postage costs O/S would be.

+1 on the Rudys. (not all models though, I've got the Kalyos ones).

When you get the clip-in optical insert made up, go to an optical store that have done them before. The prescription has to be changed slightly from your regular one; apparently the amount of adjustment is an art, not a science, and not all dispensing opticians know how to do it.

Be aware that the result will still be a bit weird around the peripheral vision. You will have to turn your head more at intersections to look up and down the road. You do get used to it though.

cpeters said:
Does anyone know where to get sport cycling glasses that are capable of having a perscription lense insert? I think Specialized has a model but i don't know where to find it.
Thanks for any help.
I have a pair of Oakley M frames, clear for my mountian bike Prescription, then I have a second pair of "Oakley Twenty's that are also prescription sunglasses, polarized even. All you have to do is call them to find out what you can get. Then go into an Optometrist office that carrys Oakley product and order through them. I was lucky enough to have my isurance cover a portion of my glasses through as part of my usual insurance coverage.

hope that helps, I know what a pain it used to be to be stuck with prescription and want sunglasses and glasses to ride with.

scirocco said:
Be aware that the result will still be a bit weird around the peripheral vision. You will have to turn your head more at intersections to look up and down the road. You do get used to it though.
-yes, I am 18 now and have been wearing glasses since I was in the fourth grade. So I know about the limited peripheral vision thing.

Thanks for all the help

Eden said:
I'll put a plug in for www.sportsoptical.com too - he'll customize just about any pair of glasses for you. Yes, its a bit more expensive, but well worth it if you ask me. I got custom lenses for a pair of Smith frames and they are probably the best ones I've ever had. He'll also do lenses for a lot of people that have been told by everyone else that prescription wrap arounds are out of the question. (Oakley wouldn't make a pair for me - my face is too small)

+1 for Sports Optical. I have three sets of lenses from them for my Rudy Kerosenes: dark grey, rose, and clear. Having used prescription inserts in the past, going without inserts is mucho better. Inserts tend to fog more than glasses without inserts; peripheral vision is better without inserts; and some people have eye lashes that rub the inserts. Light transmission is significantly better without inserts, too.