Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter & Kathryn

I'm looking for a source of prescription wrap around glasses for cycling use. Any recommendations?
Do any of the high street opticians offer this service?

Peter Main [email protected]

---
Checked for viruses by AVG Virus Scanner. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.449 / Virus Database: 251 - Release Date: 27/01/03

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:35:50 -0800, "Peter & Kathryn Main" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking for a source of prescription wrap around glasses for cycling use. Any recommendations?
>Do any of the high street opticians offer this service?

I use Rudy Project Kerosenes, but the curvature on the inserts is too great for most of the cheap
while-u-wait crowd - however, any competent independent optician should be able to handle it.

Bollé are also said to be good.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Peter & Kathryn Main wrote:
> I'm looking for a source of prescription wrap around glasses for cycling use. Any recommendations?
> Do any of the high street opticians offer this service?

I use Bolles with a prescription insert, and they work quite well. Another option is get an actual
prescription lens made up in a curved lens, and Bolle (and I would imagine others) will do this
service on a limited range of models. It's also not really going to work for strong prescriptions,
but ask them to get actual numbers.

Glasses should be lighter than glasses+prescription insert (though they're still fine, my Bolles are
still noticeably comfier without the insert in). OTOH they'll probably be more expensive and won't
have interchangeable lenses (I use mainly clear or grey, sometimes an amber lens in mine).

Has anyone seen a set with an insert available in the UK with a polarising lens option? I'd like a
pair to use in the boat as well as on the bike...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

> Peter & Kathryn Main wrote:
>> I'm looking for a source of prescription wrap around glasses for cycling use. Any
>> recommendations? Do any of the high street opticians offer this service?
>
> I use Bolles with a prescription insert, and they work quite well. Another option is get an actual
> prescription lens made up in a curved lens, and Bolle (and I would imagine others) will do this
> service on a limited range of models. It's also not really going to work for strong prescriptions,
> but ask them to get actual numbers.
>
> Glasses should be lighter than glasses+prescription insert (though they're still fine, my Bolles
> are still noticeably comfier without the insert in). OTOH they'll probably be more expensive and
> won't have interchangeable lenses (I use mainly clear or grey, sometimes an amber lens in mine).
>
> Has anyone seen a set with an insert available in the UK with a polarising lens option? I'd like a
> pair to use in the boat as well as on the bike...
>
The set I got from Speksavers a couple of years ago - their own make 'Osaris' I think - includes a
polarising shade (as well as a yellow, and smoke'). Previous posters to this group have indicated
that not all Speksavers branches are able to offer this set. This set has lasted really well, I use
it for both cycling & motorcycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.