Glaxo-Smith Kline agrees that Atkins was right

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Yo!, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Yo!

    Yo! Guest

    for those that missed it atkins had *half* the weight loss AND half the insulin loss that that of
    the best diet.++The study is funded by university and government sources only AFAIK:
    http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/nov03/183836.asp

    -------------- ÀÎÅÍ³Ý Ä«¸®½º¸¶ KORNET -------------

    Tags:

  2. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    yo! <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > for those that missed it atkins had *half* the weight loss AND half the insulin loss that that of
    > the best diet.++The study is funded by university and government sources only AFAIK:
    > http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/nov03/183836.asp
    >

    > -------------- ÀÎÅÍ³Ý Ä«¸®½º¸¶ KORNET -------------

    "R&D chairman Tachi Yamada also mentioned a diabetes drug called SGL2 that promotes the elimination
    of glucose through the urine, thus lowering the blood sugar.

    He said the product was "a chemical Atkins diet" that could also have an effect upon obesity as it
    lowers insulin and glucose in the same way as the carbohydrate-reduced diet, regardless of the
    amount of sugar and carbohydrates you eat."

    Read that again. The *chairman* of R & D for GMK, one of the largest (if not THE largest)
    pharmaceutical companies in the world announced a *pill* that lowers insulin and glucose in the
    blood and calls it "a chemical Atkins diet".

    Obviously he understands that:

    1) Low carb diet is a good thing health wise
    2) Low carb diet effectively reduces blood glucose levels
    3) Low carb diet effectively reduces insulin levels
    4) Low carb diet prevents diabetes
    5) Low carb diet prevents obesity
    6) sugar and refined carbs are unhealthy
    7) sugar and refined carbs cause high levels of glucose
    8) sugar and refined carbs cause high levels of insulin
    9) sugar and refined carbs cause obesity
    10) sugar and refined carbs cause diabetes

    Without this understanding the "chemical Atkins diet" would be useless for a pharmaceutical company
    to pursue, wouldn't it. If any of these points were untrue, it would sound like a *fad* pill. He and
    his company would come across as quacks, like Dr Atkins is supposed to be, right? They are basing
    this drug on a supposedly dangerous, unscientific and un-proven bit of quackery, according to you
    guys, right?

    Your one piddly ass little study that you quote repeatedly was done by researchers with their own
    anti-Atkins agenda. You'll have to find something else to quote.

    TC

  3. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 12/5/2003 9:57 AM, tcomeau wrote:
    > yo! <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>for those that missed it atkins had *half* the weight loss AND half the insulin loss that that of
    >>the best diet.++The study is funded by university and government sources only AFAIK:
    >>http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/nov03/183836.asp
    >>

    >>-------------- ÀÎÅÍ³Ý Ä«¸®½º¸¶ KORNET -------------
    >

    > "R&D chairman Tachi Yamada also mentioned a diabetes drug called SGL2 that promotes the
    > elimination of glucose through the urine, thus lowering the blood sugar.
    >
    > He said the product was "a chemical Atkins diet" that could also have an effect upon obesity as it
    > lowers insulin and glucose in the same way as the carbohydrate-reduced diet, regardless of the
    > amount of sugar and carbohydrates you eat."

    I suspect that he was simplifying things for the masses and that you are reading way more into his
    statement than was intended.

    --
    jmk in NC

  4. "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > yo! <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > for those that missed it atkins had *half* the weight loss AND half the
    insulin loss that that of the best diet.++The study is funded by university and government sources
    only AFAIK: http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/nov03/183836.asp

    > > -------------- ÀÎÅÍ³Ý Ä«¸®½º¸¶ KORNET -------------
    >
    > "R&D chairman Tachi Yamada also mentioned a diabetes drug called SGL2 that promotes the
    > elimination of glucose through the urine, thus lowering the blood sugar.
    >
    > He said the product was "a chemical Atkins diet" that could also have an effect upon obesity as it
    > lowers insulin and glucose in the same way as the carbohydrate-reduced diet, regardless of the
    > amount of sugar and carbohydrates you eat."
    >
    > Read that again. The *chairman* of R & D for GMK, one of the largest (if not THE largest)
    > pharmaceutical companies in the world announced a *pill* that lowers insulin and glucose in the
    > blood and calls it "a chemical Atkins diet".

    Yeah, like when I want to get good unbiased information, I'll go to a corporation exec who is
    announcing a new product based on a current craze. It's brilliant marketing and spurious science.
    I'm LOL at you, TC.

    > Obviously he understands that:
    >
    > 1) Low carb diet is a good thing health wise
    > 2) Low carb diet effectively reduces blood glucose levels
    > 3) Low carb diet effectively reduces insulin levels
    > 4) Low carb diet prevents diabetes
    > 5) Low carb diet prevents obesity
    > 6) sugar and refined carbs are unhealthy
    > 7) sugar and refined carbs cause high levels of glucose
    > 8) sugar and refined carbs cause high levels of insulin
    > 9) sugar and refined carbs cause obesity
    > 10) sugar and refined carbs cause diabetes

    Wow! Let's add 11 and 12.

    11) He understands that the person on the street has heard of Atkins.
    12) He wants to build on this name recognition.

    > Without this understanding the "chemical Atkins diet" would be useless for a pharmaceutical
    > company to pursue, wouldn't it. If any of these points were untrue, it would sound like a *fad*
    > pill. He and his company would come across as quacks, like Dr Atkins is supposed to be, right?
    > They are basing this drug on a supposedly dangerous, unscientific and un-proven bit of quackery,
    > according to you guys, right?
    >
    > Your one piddly ass little study that you quote repeatedly was done by researchers with their own
    > anti-Atkins agenda. You'll have to find something else to quote.
    >
    > TC

  5. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    "George W. Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]_s03>...
    > "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > yo! <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > for those that missed it atkins had *half* the weight loss AND half the
    > insulin loss that that of the best diet.++The study is funded by university and government sources
    > only AFAIK: http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/nov03/183836.asp
    > > >

    > > > -------------- ÀÎÅÍ³Ý Ä«¸®½º¸¶ KORNET -------------
    > >
    > > "R&D chairman Tachi Yamada also mentioned a diabetes drug called SGL2 that promotes the
    > > elimination of glucose through the urine, thus lowering the blood sugar.
    > >
    > > He said the product was "a chemical Atkins diet" that could also have an effect upon obesity as
    > > it lowers insulin and glucose in the same way as the carbohydrate-reduced diet, regardless of
    > > the amount of sugar and carbohydrates you eat."
    > >
    > > Read that again. The *chairman* of R & D for GMK, one of the largest (if not THE largest)
    > > pharmaceutical companies in the world announced a *pill* that lowers insulin and glucose in the
    > > blood and calls it "a chemical Atkins diet".
    >
    > Yeah, like when I want to get good unbiased information, I'll go to a corporation exec who is
    > announcing a new product based on a current craze. It's brilliant marketing and spurious science.
    > I'm LOL at you, TC.
    >
    > > Obviously he understands that:
    > >
    > > 1) Low carb diet is a good thing health wise
    > > 2) Low carb diet effectively reduces blood glucose levels
    > > 3) Low carb diet effectively reduces insulin levels
    > > 4) Low carb diet prevents diabetes
    > > 5) Low carb diet prevents obesity
    > > 6) sugar and refined carbs are unhealthy
    > > 7) sugar and refined carbs cause high levels of glucose
    > > 8) sugar and refined carbs cause high levels of insulin
    > > 9) sugar and refined carbs cause obesity
    > > 10) sugar and refined carbs cause diabetes
    >
    > Wow! Let's add 11 and 12.
    >
    > 11) He understands that the person on the street has heard of Atkins.
    > 12) He wants to build on this name recognition.
    >
    > > Without this understanding the "chemical Atkins diet" would be useless for a pharmaceutical
    > > company to pursue, wouldn't it. If any of these points were untrue, it would sound like a *fad*
    > > pill. He and his company would come across as quacks, like Dr Atkins is supposed to be, right?
    > > They are basing this drug on a supposedly dangerous, unscientific and un-proven bit of quackery,
    > > according to you guys, right?
    > >
    > > Your one piddly ass little study that you quote repeatedly was done by researchers with their
    > > own anti-Atkins agenda. You'll have to find something else to quote.
    > >
    > > TC

    I'm chuckling a bit myself. ;-)

    TC