Glen Lyon - Loch Rannoch

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Hugh Spicer, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Hugh Spicer

    Hugh Spicer Guest

    Has anyone cycled from Glen Lyon (Innerwick) along the Lairig Ghallabhaich to the south side of Loch
    Rannoch ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Hugh [email protected] www.hughspicer.fsnet.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "Hugh Spicer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone cycled from Glen Lyon (Innerwick) along the Lairig
    Ghallabhaich
    > to the south side of Loch Rannoch ?

    Yep. Watch out for the midges. My worst nightmare came when the sun woke me lying in the heather by
    a stream on the pass above Rannoch School and I sat up. As I raised my head above the heather
    Billions hit me, word must have gone round- Breakfasts Ready. When anyone on this group mentions
    Scottish Midges I'm there with a warning!!

    The route is easy, provided you can lift the bike and yourself over a high locked gate.

    The route is detailed in The Scottish Glens Book 3, The Glens of Rannoch by Peter D Koch-Osborne
    published by Cicerone Press ISBN 1-85284-170-2

    Books 1 to 9 are the mtb equivalent of the Wainwright walking guides and are written in the same
    format, and are absolutely bloody incredible. That is a superior recommendation. Quote- Glen Lyon is
    scenically beautiful and quiet; ideal cycling country and well worth a visit. Hope you enjoy the
    ride, and to anybody else- its a right dodgy place not worth wasting your time going there. Mike