Glencoe This Weekend

"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> From BBC Website, (note spelling of Beinn Fhionnlaidh - shocking)
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3519535.stm

Sadly, the mans body was found by a SARDA dog this morning.

That was a big operation, there were personnel from 7 MRTs and 5 SARDA dogs on the hill today.

At least the BBC are now getting the spelling right.

--
Duncan Gray

homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk also www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk The Mountaineering Council
of Scotland

>Oh I dunno. If it were better known when the maps were first printed that would have been the
>"official" name from the start.
>
>Actually, isn't the "Fh" silent?
>--
>Adrian

The OS have fossilised alot of names.... In my home village, most names on the OS maps are wrong, or
at least unrecognisable to the locals.

The Mamores are interesting. Local folk have English names for them, often translations of the
OS Gaelic.

OS Gaelic is often misspelt. They sorted out the western isles with the result that the hill names
out there are now pronouncable, just like the Welsh names.

I think we are going to be stuck with the standard mispronounciations of the old Gaelic names of the
famous hills. May be there will one day be Loony Bins,Cheesecakes and Chrysanthamums (harder to
spell that than the original) all over the OS data sets.

Richard Webb