Glenferrie Rd: Unicyclist Spotted



H

hippy

Guest
Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
school or something! :) Awesome!!

hippy
I want one...
 
R

Rob Woozle

Guest
Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to
Melbourne to raise money for Canteen?

I wonder how hard they are to ride....

I've seen a guy in Majura Pines riding one..off road unicycling!!!

Rob
 
A

Andrew Swan

Guest
hippy wrote:
> Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
> the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
> Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
> school or something! :) Awesome!!
>
> hippy
> I want one...


I think schoolgirls would be a bit young for you, hipster. Especially
given that being on the footpath meant she was <= 12 y.o.

&roo
 
N

Nick Payne

Guest
Someone rode a Unicycle across the Nullabor a couple of decades back...I can
remember reading an article on the crossing in Freewheeling.

Nick Payne

"Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to
> Melbourne to raise money for Canteen?
 
H

hippy

Guest
"Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to
> Melbourne to raise money for Canteen?


I saw the ad and went "Cool! Gotta watch that!" and then went
out and missed it :-(

> I wonder how hard they are to ride....


Quite tricky apparently.

> I've seen a guy in Majura Pines riding one..off road unicycling!!!


One of the New World Disorder MTB films has a guy doing
some crazy "Northshore" stuff on a unicycle. Kris Holm I
think his name might be.. googling.. yep, his movie "One Tired Guy:
http://www.unicycle.co.nz/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=32

Here are some sampler videos:
http://www.unicycle.com/moviesandphotos.asp

hippy
 
H

hippy

Guest
"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:ef6Nb.178
> hippy wrote:
> > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
> > the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
> > Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
> > school or something! :) Awesome!!
> >
> > hippy
> > I want one...

>
> I think schoolgirls would be a bit young for you, hipster. Especially
> given that being on the footpath meant she was <= 12 y.o.


hahaha I just re-read what I wrote.. does sound a bit
wrong doesn't it!

I was getting excited about the bike.. how sad! ;-)

hippy
She could've been >18 and a footpath rebel! ;-)
 
F

fred

Guest
hippy wrote:
> Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
> the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
> Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
> school or something! :) Awesome!!
>
> hippy
> I want one...
>

When I lived in Japan, folks used get all disarranged about me wearing
fluorscent clothes and riding on the road, in (gasp!) the same direction
as the traffic.
And I felt a "different but nonetheless equal" (as Social Workers These
Days Say) admiration (and envy) for the many, many kids riding 'round on
unicycles.
(ps: they only sold them in kids' sizes, unfortunately!!!)
xx
ppppppp
 
R

Rob Woozle

Guest
Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my range
of LBSs.

Rob
 
H

hippy

Guest
"Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my

range
> of LBSs.


I've seen one in Croydon Cycleworks but I don't visit
many of the bigger city LBSs to know what they stock.

Norco makes one. That nutter in NWD rides for Norco.

hippy
 
H

hippy

Guest
"ftf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1EnNb.2316
> > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along the footpath on
> > Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
> > school or something! :) Awesome!!
> > hippy I want one...

>
> Hippy, after some festival work at all?
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654246321&catego-
> ry=2904http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654246321-
> &category=2904


Well, I'd have to look around at other prices first... ;-)

hippy
 
A

Andrew Swan

Guest
Rob Woozle wrote:
> Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my range
> of LBSs.
>
> Rob


Try your local juggling supplier.

&roo (who can juggle clubs but not ride a uni)
 
A

Andrew Swan

Guest
fred wrote:
> When I lived in Japan, folks used get all disarranged about me wearing
> fluorscent clothes and riding on the road, in (gasp!) the same direction
> as the traffic.
> And I felt a "different but nonetheless equal" (as Social Workers These
> Days Say) admiration (and envy) for the many, many kids riding 'round on
> unicycles.
> (ps: they only sold them in kids' sizes, unfortunately!!!)
> xx
> ppppppp


<unrelated-rambling-reminiscences>
In the 15 days I spent in Japan, including 10 days on a bike, I saw
*one* local wearing a helmet. One. After I broke my own lid in a fall
(requiring a CAT scan, my first and last so far), I couldn't find *any*
for sale in the LBSes. Luckily (for me) one of the guys on our tour
broke his hand on a guide post and let me wear his.

As a pedestrian in Tokyo, you have to watch out for the delivery guys
hurtling along the footpath on their 20kg+ bikes.
</unrelated-rambling-reminiscences>

Anyway, what does a disarranged Japanese look like?

&roo
 
H

hippy

Guest
"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p4sNb.353
> <unrelated-rambling-reminiscences>
> In the 15 days I spent in Japan, including 10 days on a bike, I saw
> *one* local wearing a helmet. One. After I broke my own lid in a fall
> (requiring a CAT scan, my first and last so far), I couldn't find *any*
> for sale in the LBSes. Luckily (for me) one of the guys on our tour
> broke his hand on a guide post and let me wear his.


I love the way that in the cities you'll see a 20 year old
Japanese women in mini-skirt and thigh boots riding to
work and in the same glance, right next to her, will be
a 70 year old woman out getting her groceries!
Both of them will be riding one-handed, no helmet with
their spare hand used to hold up an umbrella!!
Great stuff! :)

hippy
I love Japan.
 
D

dejonica

Guest
dejonica wrote:
> back to the unicycling



doh! pressed enter too quickly:( i gave a unicycle a go late last year
just before ATB (one of the guys at work has one). i figured 'i can ride
a bike, therefore, i can ride a unicycle' bzzzt wrong.. at 1st i couldnt
even get on the thing even with instruction and assistance, then it was
a major difficulty just sitting on it without moving.

The guy at work who owns it rekons it takes a couple of hours of just
practicing to get on it then try and get your balance..

oh apparently the place to get them in melb is a store called juggle art

i've also spotted a unicyclist riding up stephensons rd up one of those
hills of all places (he wasnt doing much worse than me:()



--
 

Similar threads

C
Replies
3
Views
459
UK and Europe
Colin Blackburn
C