Glenferrie Rd: Unicyclist Spotted

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
    the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
    Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
    school or something! :) Awesome!!

    hippy
    I want one...

    Tags:

  2. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to
    Melbourne to raise money for Canteen?

    I wonder how hard they are to ride....

    I've seen a guy in Majura Pines riding one..off road unicycling!!!

    Rob

  3. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
    > the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
    > Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
    > school or something! :) Awesome!!
    >
    > hippy
    > I want one...

    I think schoolgirls would be a bit young for you, hipster. Especially
    given that being on the footpath meant she was <= 12 y.o.

    &roo

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

  5. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Someone rode a Unicycle across the Nullabor a couple of decades back...I can
    remember reading an article on the crossing in Freewheeling.

    Nick Payne

    "Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to
    > Melbourne to raise money for Canteen?

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to
    > Melbourne to raise money for Canteen?

    I saw the ad and went "Cool! Gotta watch that!" and then went
    out and missed it :-(

    > I wonder how hard they are to ride....

    Quite tricky apparently.

    > I've seen a guy in Majura Pines riding one..off road unicycling!!!

    One of the New World Disorder MTB films has a guy doing
    some crazy "Northshore" stuff on a unicycle. Kris Holm I
    think his name might be.. googling.. yep, his movie "One Tired Guy:
    http://www.unicycle.co.nz/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=32

    Here are some sampler videos:
    http://www.unicycle.com/moviesandphotos.asp

    hippy

  7. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > hippy wrote:
    > > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
    > > the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
    > > Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
    > > school or something! :) Awesome!!
    > >
    > > hippy
    > > I want one...

    > I think schoolgirls would be a bit young for you, hipster. Especially
    > given that being on the footpath meant she was <= 12 y.o.

    hahaha I just re-read what I wrote.. does sound a bit
    wrong doesn't it!

    I was getting excited about the bike.. how sad! ;-)

    hippy
    She could've been >18 and a footpath rebel! ;-)

  8. fred

    fred Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
    > the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
    > Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
    > school or something! :) Awesome!!
    >
    > hippy
    > I want one...

    When I lived in Japan, folks used get all disarranged about me wearing
    fluorscent clothes and riding on the road, in (gasp!) the same direction
    as the traffic.
    And I felt a "different but nonetheless equal" (as Social Workers These
    Days Say) admiration (and envy) for the many, many kids riding 'round on
    unicycles.
    (ps: they only sold them in kids' sizes, unfortunately!!!)
    xx
    ppppppp

  9. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my range
    of LBSs.

    Rob

  10. ftf

    ftf Guest

    Hippy wrote:
    > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along the footpath on
    > Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
    > school or something! :) Awesome!!
    > hippy I want one...

    Hippy, after some festival work at all

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654246321&catego
    ry=2904http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654246321
    &category=290

    -

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my

    range
    > of LBSs.

    I've seen one in Croydon Cycleworks but I don't visit
    many of the bigger city LBSs to know what they stock.

    Norco makes one. That nutter in NWD rides for Norco.

    hippy

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "ftf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1EnNb.2316
    > > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along the footpath on
    > > Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
    > > school or something! :) Awesome!!
    > > hippy I want one...

    > Hippy, after some festival work at all?
    > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654246321&catego-
    > ry=2904http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654246321-
    > &category=2904

    Well, I'd have to look around at other prices first... ;-)

    hippy

  13. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Rob Woozle wrote:
    > Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my range
    > of LBSs.
    >
    > Rob

    Try your local juggling supplier.

    &roo (who can juggle clubs but not ride a uni)

  14. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    fred wrote:
    > When I lived in Japan, folks used get all disarranged about me wearing
    > fluorscent clothes and riding on the road, in (gasp!) the same direction
    > as the traffic.
    > And I felt a "different but nonetheless equal" (as Social Workers These
    > Days Say) admiration (and envy) for the many, many kids riding 'round on
    > unicycles.
    > (ps: they only sold them in kids' sizes, unfortunately!!!)
    > xx
    > ppppppp

    <unrelated-rambling-reminiscences>
    In the 15 days I spent in Japan, including 10 days on a bike, I saw
    *one* local wearing a helmet. One. After I broke my own lid in a fall
    (requiring a CAT scan, my first and last so far), I couldn't find *any*
    for sale in the LBSes. Luckily (for me) one of the guys on our tour
    broke his hand on a guide post and let me wear his.

    As a pedestrian in Tokyo, you have to watch out for the delivery guys
    hurtling along the footpath on their 20kg+ bikes.
    </unrelated-rambling-reminiscences>

    Anyway, what does a disarranged Japanese look like?

    &roo

  15. hippy

    > <unrelated-rambling-reminiscences>
    > In the 15 days I spent in Japan, including 10 days on a bike, I saw
    > *one* local wearing a helmet. One. After I broke my own lid in a fall
    > (requiring a CAT scan, my first and last so far), I couldn't find *any*
    > for sale in the LBSes. Luckily (for me) one of the guys on our tour
    > broke his hand on a guide post and let me wear his.

    I love the way that in the cities you'll see a 20 year old
    Japanese women in mini-skirt and thigh boots riding to
    work and in the same glance, right next to her, will be
    a 70 year old woman out getting her groceries!
    Both of them will be riding one-handed, no helmet with
    their spare hand used to hold up an umbrella!!
    Great stuff! :)

    hippy
    I love Japan.

  16. dejonica

    dejonica Guest

    dejonica wrote:
    > back to the unicycling

    doh! pressed enter too quickly:( i gave a unicycle a go late last year
    just before ATB (one of the guys at work has one). i figured 'i can ride
    a bike, therefore, i can ride a unicycle' bzzzt wrong.. at 1st i couldnt
    even get on the thing even with instruction and assistance, then it was
    a major difficulty just sitting on it without moving.

    The guy at work who owns it rekons it takes a couple of hours of just
    practicing to get on it then try and get your balance..

    oh apparently the place to get them in melb is a store called juggle art

    i've also spotted a unicyclist riding up stephensons rd up one of those
    hills of all places (he wasnt doing much worse than me:()

    --

  17. dejonica

    dejonica Guest

    back to the unicycling