Glenferrie Rd: Unicyclist Spotted

Hippy

Guest
Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along
the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
Rd. She looked like she was on her way to
school or something! :) Awesome!!

hippy I want one...

Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to Melbourne to raise money
for Canteen?

I wonder how hard they are to ride....

I've seen a guy in Majura Pines riding one..off road unicycling!!!

Rob

hippy wrote:
> Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood Rd.
> She looked like she was on her way to school or something! :) Awesome!!
>
> hippy I want one...

I think schoolgirls would be a bit young for you, hipster. Especially given that being on the
footpath meant she was <= 12 y.o.

&roo

Someone rode a Unicycle across the Nullabor a couple of decades back...I can remember reading an
article on the crossing in Freewheeling.

Nick Payne

"Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040113205525.07958.00002677@mb-
m16.aol.com...
> Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to Melbourne to raise money
> for Canteen?

Originally posted by Nick Payne
Someone rode a Unicycle across the Nullabor a couple of decades back...I can remember reading an
article on the crossing in Freewheeling.

Nick Payne

"Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040113205525.07958.00002677@mb-
m16.aol.com...
> Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to Melbourne to raise money
> for Canteen?

I think I remember that. Have a vague memory of a piece on TDT or whatever the 7:30 report was called in the late 70's. Was the guy French? And he could have been doing a round the world trip. But then again it just could be my imagination:confused:

"Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did you see the doco where Samuel Johnson rode a unicycle from Sydney to Melbourne to raise money
> for Canteen?

I saw the ad and went "Cool! Gotta watch that!" and then went out and missed it :-(

> I wonder how hard they are to ride....

Quite tricky apparently.

> I've seen a guy in Majura Pines riding one..off road unicycling!!!

One of the New World Disorder MTB films has a guy doing some crazy "Northshore" stuff on a unicycle.
Kris Holm I think his name might be.. googling.. yep, his movie "One Tired Guy:
http://www.unicycle.co.nz/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=32

Here are some sampler videos: http://www.unicycle.com/moviesandphotos.asp

hippy

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> hippy wrote:
> > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood Rd.
> > She looked like she was on her way to school or something! :) Awesome!!
> >
> > hippy I want one...
>
> I think schoolgirls would be a bit young for you, hipster. Especially given that being on the
> footpath meant she was <= 12 y.o.

hahaha I just re-read what I wrote.. does sound a bit wrong doesn't it!

I was getting excited about the bike.. how sad! ;-)

hippy She could've been >18 and a footpath rebel! ;-)

hippy wrote:
> Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood Rd.
> She looked like she was on her way to school or something! :) Awesome!!
>
> hippy I want one...

When I lived in Japan, folks used get all disarranged about me wearing fluorscent clothes and riding
on the road, in (gasp!) the same direction as the traffic. And I felt a "different but nonetheless
equal" (as Social Workers These Days Say) admiration (and envy) for the many, many kids riding
'round on unicycles. (ps: they only sold them in kids' sizes, unfortunately!!!) xx ppppppp

Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my range of LBSs.

Rob

"Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my
range
> of LBSs.

I've seen one in Croydon Cycleworks but I don't visit many of the bigger city LBSs to know what
they stock.

Norco makes one. That nutter in NWD rides for Norco.

hippy

"ftf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1EnNb.2316
> > Just walked past a girl riding a unicycle along the footpath on Glenferrie Rd. near Burwood
> > Rd. She looked like she was on her way to school or something! :) Awesome!! hippy I want
> > one...
>
> Hippy, after some festival work at all? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654246321&catego-
> ry=2904http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654246321- &category=2904

Well, I'd have to look around at other prices first... ;-)

hippy

Rob Woozle wrote:
> Anyone know where unicycles can be bought? Can't recall seeing any at my range of LBSs.
>
> Rob

Try your local juggling supplier.

&roo (who can juggle clubs but not ride a uni)

fred wrote:
> When I lived in Japan, folks used get all disarranged about me wearing fluorscent clothes and
> riding on the road, in (gasp!) the same direction as the traffic. And I felt a "different but
> nonetheless equal" (as Social Workers These Days Say) admiration (and envy) for the many,
> many kids riding 'round on unicycles. (ps: they only sold them in kids' sizes,
> unfortunately!!!) xx ppppppp

<unrelated-rambling-reminiscences> In the 15 days I spent in Japan, including 10 days on a bike, I
saw *one* local wearing a helmet. One. After I broke my own lid in a fall (requiring a CAT scan, my
first and last so far), I couldn't find *any* for sale in the LBSes. Luckily (for me) one of the
guys on our tour broke his hand on a guide post and let me wear his.

As a pedestrian in Tokyo, you have to watch out for the delivery guys hurtling along the footpath on
their 20kg+ bikes. </unrelated-rambling-reminiscences>

Anyway, what does a disarranged Japanese look like?

&roo

> <unrelated-rambling-reminiscences> In the 15 days I spent in Japan, including 10 days on a bike, I
> saw *one* local wearing a helmet. One. After I broke my own lid in a fall (requiring a CAT scan,
> my first and last so far), I couldn't find *any* for sale in the LBSes. Luckily (for me) one of
> the guys on our tour broke his hand on a guide post and let me wear his.

I love the way that in the cities you'll see a 20 year old Japanese women in mini-skirt and thigh
boots riding to work and in the same glance, right next to her, will be a 70 year old woman out
getting her groceries! Both of them will be riding one-handed, no helmet with their spare hand used
to hold up an umbrella!! Great stuff! :)

hippy I love Japan.

Originally posted by dejonica
back to the unicycling
doh! pressed enter too quickly:(
i gave a unicycle a go late last year just before ATB (one of the guys at work has one). i figured 'i can ride a bike, therefore, i can ride a unicycle' bzzzt wrong..
at 1st i couldnt even get on the thing even with instruction and assistance, then it was a major difficulty just sitting on it without moving.

The guy at work who owns it rekons it takes a couple of hours of just practicing to get on it then try and get your balance..

oh apparently the place to get them in melb is a store called juggle art

i've also spotted a unicyclist riding up stephensons rd up one of those hills of all places (he wasnt doing much worse than me:()

Re unicycles in Japan, the kids at my daughters pre-school were all taught to ride unicycles. Kinda
humbling to see 4 and 5 year olds hooning around the playground on their unicycles.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:54:06 +1100, hippy said (and I quote):
> "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p4sNb.353
>> <unrelated-rambling-reminiscences> In the 15 days I spent in Japan, including 10 days on a bike,
>> I saw *one* local wearing a helmet. One. After I broke my own lid in a fall (requiring a CAT
>> scan, my first and last so far), I couldn't find *any* for sale in the LBSes. Luckily (for me)
>> one of the guys on our tour broke his hand on a guide post and let me wear his.

Depends on the LBS. There are a few "proper" LBSes in Japan that have things like helmets. But
generally the only people you see wearing helmets are the high school kids, as the school rules
require it, even for when the kids are out of school. Their helmets are all the same - these
standard issue things that look like buckets, and the cool way to wear them is at a jaunty angle
balanced on the back of the head.

School kids also get taught that the saddle on a bike should be low enough for you to be able to put
your feet flat on the ground. Otherwise its *dangerous*. And then there's the bizarre way that
Japanese people get off and on a bicycle. I can't even begin to describe it.

> I love the way that in the cities you'll see a 20 year old Japanese women in mini-skirt and thigh
> boots riding to work and in the same glance, right next to her, will be a 70 year old woman out
> getting her groceries! Both of them will be riding one-handed, no helmet with their spare hand
> used to hold up an umbrella!!

If it's not an umbrella in the hand it'll be a keitai (cellphone), and the rider will be sending
mail with it.

I've seen cyclists using umbrellas in snowstorms, and a few being used as shade on hot sunny
days. Speaking of snow, I've been riding to work the last few days over snow and ice. Makes
things exciting.

But the best site is the old folks getting down the street on their tricycles. A pretty common sight
in my town.
--
A: Top-posters.
B: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?