global touring costs

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by latenitebiker, Apr 8, 2005.

1. latenitebiker

latenitebiker New Member

Hi,
    This is my first post on here. I'm in the planning stage of a global tour. I have toured in the United States but never internationally. I'm looking to spend 1 1/2 to 3 years on the road and I may have one other person accompanying me. We are both willing to do it as cheap as possible. Camping almost always and staying with friends and people we may meet, never paying for accommodations unless we have to. Have you done anything similar to this? Even just portions in any country in the same fashion? Trying to figure out my budget has been the most difficult thing. We are willing to work while on the road to and dream of having some income being made by our actions. I will most likely film it, as that is what I am trained to do. I'm sure to have 100 more questions but if you can tell me anything of what I'm asking so far you'd be helping a lot.
    Thanks,
    Jamey

Tags:

2. geoffs

geoffs New Member

I toured most of Western Europe on the cheap way back in '89. I either free camped or stayed in a farmers field after asking first. I was always self sufficient and only needed some water at the most. It was amazing the number of times that I was invited to either stay inside or join them for dinner or for a few drinks. I would either do an APC wash or stop somewhere during the day where I could wash some clothes and myself. Campsites would often be happy to let you have a wash either for free or a minimal charge.

[email protected] is a great resource of well travelled cyclists as well.

Cheers

Geoff