Global Warming - A real viable threat or scientific rhetoric?

cpx said:
Sandstone ... Well what answer were you looking for?
Sorry professor, you’re fired…CR time to take your freebie back…

That it's sedimentary?
Not exclusive to sandstone

That it's usually made of silica and feldspar?
Sort of…Quartz is the main component but quartz is made up of silica I believe so you are fundamentally correct but still not exclusive to sandstone.

That it has bedding?
Sedimentary rocks “have” bedding..not exclusive to sandstone..for example…Shale “has” bedding too…

That it keeps a record of how it was deposited?
All sedimentary rocks record environments when formed…..once again, not exclusive to sandstone

That you can find it on beaches in the Yucatan? That Durham Cathedral is made from bricks of it? That it can host deposits of Iron and Tin?
Not even close

What? Since I don't think about sandstone in terms of Geology 101 anymore, what is so special about it?
Well the answer I was looking for…was very simple,

“Sandstone is the most porous and permeable of the sedimentary rocks.”

Or

“No other rock at the Earth's surface can stand up to the forces of chemical weathering and physical transportation well enough to accumulate into rocks with such a large grain size”

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my rhetorical questions Zappy. I'll use more emoticons next time I'm being sarcastic.

cpx said:
Thank you for taking the time to answer all my rhetorical questions Zappy. I'll use more emoticons next time I'm being sarcastic.
Why... Professor, the pleasure is all mine...I'm happy to pass my geology 101 answers on to such an worldly man of science such as yourself. However, the use of emoticons won't help you with your incorrect responses...

You may have more success pretending to be something a little less technical...Perhaps a car salesman... oh, I almost forgot your tip.... :rolleyes: There ya go...

zapper said:
You may have more success pretending to be something a little less technical...Perhaps a car salesman...
Gee thanks – I suppose I deserve to be insulted on account of all the mud I've slung…

*There are more sandstones then there are "bikes".

Some – like quartz arenite – can be fully impermeable, while others – like beach stone – are highly erodible.

High-school generalizations (such as the ones you looked up, or google …

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22sandstone+is+the+most%22&meta=

… might spit out for you) do not always apply ... they’re more intended to simplify complicated concepts for a sub-novice such as yourself.

cpx said:
From the IPCC Website (http://www.ipcc.ch/about/about.htm):

Inidicators of human influence on the atmosphere:
http://www.ipcc.ch/present/graphics/2001syr/large/02.01.jpg

Modeled and observed temperature change since 1860:
http://www.ipcc.ch/present/graphics/2001syr/large/05.18.jpg

Global Costs of Extreme Weather:
http://www.ipcc.ch/present/graphics/2001syr/large/08.17.jpg

I thought that there was going to be a wrttien commentary on the links you listed above.
I see that they are graph-only links.

I'll check the WMO and UNEP for commenatry on the above links.

limerickman said:
I thought that there was going to be a wrttien commentary on the links you listed above.
I see that they are graph-only links.

I'll check the WMO and UNEP for commenatry on the above links.
The figures I posted are from the "presentations & graphics" section on the IPCC website. They're from these publications:

http://www.ipcc.ch/pub/reports.htm

You can follow the links to look at them as PDF files, some are HTML.

cpx said:
they’re more intended to simplify complicated concepts for a sub-novice such as yourself.
ouch...

i am glad i wasn't on the recieving end of that put down..

cpx said:
Gee thanks – I suppose I deserve to be insulted on account of all the mud I've slung…

*There are more sandstones then there are "bikes".

Some – like quartz arenite – can be fully impermeable, while others – like beach stone – are highly erodible.

High-school generalizations (such as the ones you looked up, or google …

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q="sandstone+is+the+most"&meta=

… might spit out for you) do not always apply ... they’re more intended to simplify complicated concepts for a sub-novice such as yourself.

Very impressive professor. But…You don’t deserve to be insulted and it was not my intent. I was merely trying to educate you. But perhaps you might feel receiving a free education is insulting… :confused:

Oh well… I applaud you for your obvious use of google. There is one little problem with your theory here though… A. I did not claim to be a geologist, you did. B. My question came from a college level text book albeit 101, not google. C. You attempted to answer my simple question, failed miserably then tried to cover your tracks by claiming you were being sarcastic. Then you blame a helpless emoticon for your pitiful answers. D. Then you state the obvious here…I am a novice and never claimed to be a geologist. However, what is so funny to me and (excuse me as I get back into my chair)..is you claim to be a geologist and you couldn’t even answer a “SUB-NOVICE question… Priceless…Oh and just so you understand what I’m saying here, perhaps visual aides are in order.. :rolleyes: :p :p :p :p :eek: :D

BTW, please get rid of the huge print, its hurting my eyes....thanks, Zap

zapper said:
Very impressive professor. But…You don’t deserve to be insulted and it was not my intent. I was merely trying to educate you. But perhaps you might feel receiving a free education is insulting… :confused:
Why – given the nature of my posts - would you come along with insults and accuse me of being a liar? I would encourage to prove me wrong on any of my points related to Climate Change. Make me a liar that way - you'll find it a challenge.

Furthermore, as a non-geologist, why would you assume that you have created the definitive "geologist-or-not" test, that it’s 100% fool-proof and only you are qualified to field the results?

Irrespective of whom I am, can you not see how that makes no sense?

cpx said:

Why – given the nature of my posts - would you come along with insults and accuse me of being a liar? I would encourage to prove me wrong on any of my points related to Climate Change. Make me a liar that way - you'll find it a challenge.
Professor, I never called you a liar did I? Besides, posting links concering your topic of choice doesn't really prove you are a geologist. I'll take a look at my text book and see if there is anything in there about that there "Climate Change" you refer to.

Furthermore, as a non-geologist, why would you assume that you have created the definitive "geologist-or-not" test, that it’s 100% fool-proof and only you are qualified to field the results
Look, it was a very easy question. One any geologist could have easily answered. It really doesn't matter we could go round and round and you won't come clean. However, there is one last question that might prove you are who you say you are...Since you are also a "climatologist" which is akin to a "meteorologist"...Which country experiences the most extreme weather conditions on average?

I have a question -

What is so special about a Catamaran? There is only one answer.

cpx said:
I have a question -

What is so special about a Catamaran? There is only one answer.
The main advantage of a cat is less hull in the water to create hydrodynamic drag...when cats get up on a plane above the water, air flows though the center and is compressed and creates a high pressure or cushion of air that greatly reduces the amount of hull that needs to be in the water.

This concept applies to both powered and sail versions, however, for sail boats the former more applies.

jaguar75 said:
The main advantage of a cat is less hull in the water to create hydrodynamic drag...when cats get up on a plane above the water, air flows though the center and is compressed and creates a high pressure or cushion of air that greatly reduces the amount of hull that needs to be in the water.

This concept applies to both powered and sail versions, however, for sail boats the former more applies.
Not only can their hulls lift out of the water, if they are equipped w/ those fins that extend below the hull, they can sail on only one pontoon-the other being out of the water completely-except for when the wind is on the bow or stern of course.

davidmc said:
Not only can their hulls lift out of the water, if they are equipped w/ those fins that extend below the hull, they can sail on only one pontoon-the other being out of the water completely-except for when the wind is on the bow or stern of course.
Actually David I think you are thinking about a hydrofoil...which is a boat/ship who's hull comes completely out of water when up to speed...What I was talking about is if you ever watch a fast ship or race boat run from the front you will see it only has about 1 foot of its hull in the water with the whole packge rocking about side to side on that cushion of air.

Really fast cats are very unstable without the assistance of stablizers on the top of the boat like little wings and rudders. Next time the Ofshore Powerboats are racing on ESPN, watch the cats run...