Global warming

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by desert_RAT, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

What election? When you pull your head out you might notice that Gore is not running for anything.

2. ellno#1

ellno#1 New Member

Burying ones head in the sand will not make the big bogy man go away, despite what you say about Big Al Gore, he's at least trying to let the general populous know what's happening.
    Big Al gave up that rat race many years ago, even I know that and I don't live in the USA.
    Leave it to the present Admninistration in your country and there would be a blanket ban on any publicity that did not fit in with their agenda, maybe there is, that would explain your comments.
    This is much like the Administration in Australia who likewise denied any knowledge of this phenomenon until this year, hey presto it's an election year.
    Let's try play catch up, we might just save our collective arses and possibly stay in office. Sorry John, "Too Little Too Late".
    The whole world needs embrace a strategy to reduce grenhouse gasses, we don't have much time to do this, it is now or never, the time has almost passed.
    Dare I say it, we also need to restrict the numbers of population as well, the rate we are procreating at present is totally unsustainable, there will not be enough food or clean water, let alone fresh air, to carry on at this downward spiralling rate.
    Doom and Despair, I'm an optimist 100% but the warning signs are there, ignore them at your own peril.
    There again just stick the old head back in the sand, who knows, it all might be OK in the morning, have another cup of whatever it is you drink, make mine a good one !

3. Jcyclist

Jcyclist New Member

Why are the polar ice caps melting on mars then

4. vadiver

vadiver New Member

What caused the polar ice cap on earth to recede past north of the 40th parallel
    What caused the dinosaur to become extinct
    What caused the ice age on earth
    What ended the ice age on earth
    What caused the continents to form into 7 distinct continents
    What caused the mountains to form or the grand canyon to be formed
    What cause the ocean to recede from Arizona
    What causes the sun to change polarity every 22 years

Global warming is occuring, the data supports that. However, to think that man is the sole cause of it or really has any control over it is laughable. The solar system is billions of years old or older and to draw conclucions with 150 years worth of data would be like putting a grain of sugar in a bowl and saying you have a cake.

Global warming is used today for political fear mongering. Unnatural carbon dioxide emissions have only been increasing for a little over 100 years. The earth has seen many warmings and coolings prior to them. And we will see more warmings and coolings in later years.

5. Piotr

Piotr New Member

Research proves that cyclists and other athletes play a greater role in converting O2 (good air) to CO2 (bad, bad air!) than the general population. Damn all you high VO2max freaks! :D

6. Jcyclist

Jcyclist New Member

Looks like gores going to try to run for office.

7. Eilert Pilarm

Eilert Pilarm New Member

I was gonna ride the polar ice cap to the north pole...now i cant with this global warming thing and the ice cap all'a meltin'

DAMN!!!!!

:eek:

8. kyperman

kyperman New Member

I think the real answer lies somewhere in the middle of this actually. It would be niave to assume that humans have no impact on the atmospere. All you have to do is go to LA or Mexico City or Khatmandu...take a look at the haze hanging over the city. Thats smog, and it's not natural, we have caused it.

BUT, I am not a big believer in global warming theory. I believe that while man has caused some issues, I am not ready to give us (mankind) credit for actually being significant enough to cause the huge catastrophy that is being predicted by Al Gore and his looney friends.

I believe the earth is resiliant and can bounce back or adapt to many things. Something pretty huge killed off all the dinosaurs a long time ago and the earth bounced back just fine.

I also don't buy any figures that are thrown around that try to compare current temps to temps hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of years ago. I happen to know for a fact that accurate thermometers were not being used in the middle ages. Just how in the world do we know what the exact temps were 10,000 years ago? If they were 5 degrees cooler than now, prove it please.

In closing, how do we also not know that the earth is not actually below it optimum temp right now and this warming is not just a natural way of the earth righting itself. Maybe this is just a cycle that we are going through, or maybe it's sun spots.

I just get sick of people telling me how things are or should be with no proof. Global warming is a theory, the debate is NOT over as Al Gore would like us to believe. And if Al and the other celebrities such as Cheryl Crow want us to use less toilet paper, I would like to start to see them living as they want us to live. No more private jets, no more 10,000 square foot homes, no more guitars made of wood.

Enough said.

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Indeed.

You don't have to go back 10,000 years to see that mean temperatures have increased.
    Mean temperatures have increased during the last few decades alone.

The fact of the matter is that temperatures have increased over the past few centuries.
    The rate of rising temperatures has increased since the Industrial Revolution (1840).

If the earth was "righting itself" as you put it - the fact that temperatures and the increasing rate of temperature rises suggests otherwise.

You might be sick of it - but the temperatures have increased and that increase has been proven, whether you choose to accept it or not.

Global warming isn't a theory .......it's a fact.
    It is accepted that temperatures are increasing.

In Paris, spring 2007, 2,000 of the worlds leading scientists issued a communique confirming that the earth is experiencing global warming as a result of green house gas emmissions.

So whatever Al Gore may or may not say about global warming, separately the scientific community has reached consensus that global warming is happening.

Forget the celebrities.

The scientific community's findings require all of us to modify the way in which we live and how we treat the ecosystem.
    Global warming, as British Minister David Milliband says, is a collective responsibility.

10. Eilert Pilarm

Eilert Pilarm New Member

so...if global warming is a fact...

is it because of HUMANS?--is THAT a fact?

if we are indeed causing it, I guess we can slow it or stop it

BUT

and this is a big but....

if it is NOT caused by us, then who the fuck are WE to think we can stop it?

THAT is the supreme arrogance.....not that Algore says the debate is over (he says that because when your argument is weak or severely lacking, you can't stand the bright-lights of real debate so all you have left is to say, ''case closed, done. we're right and you're wrong, nah-nah nah-nah-nah.'')......

the supreme arrogance is that we think we can control the general climate (not weather, there's a difference) and stop this thing they call ''global warming''

then again, man is always ready to be convinced that He is like God and can do anything. Pride the downfall always innit?

If the costs of this scheme were negligible, then sure, why not, let's go for it....hell, I've done my part for decades by riding my road bike-cycle to work and home. If we get carbon offsets in arrears (not counting on THAT btw) then i'm golden. golden baby.

but since the yearly costs worldwide, of 'combatting global warming', will exceed yearly budgets of almost all countries on terra firma, then it is prudent to BE ABSOLUTELY FUCKING SURE OF WHAT WE'RE SETTING OUT TO DO BEFORE WE GO DOWN THIS FUCKING ROAD

i like saying FUCKING. kind of rolls off the tongue

i'm not all that bothered really. you see sure, when there's a warmer-than-normal spring and winter in many places (such as what Europe has seen) and when there are more tornadoes and hurricanes than normal, then lazy science attributes it to global warming.

Gosh....did we have global warming in Alaska this winter? It was a colder winter than normal and we got tons of snow, and the nordic ski trails saw near record 'latest grooming dates' (and of course i skate-skied my ass off and had a ball).

it was weather. localized. europe was warm. alaska cold. cuntinental USA warm then cold then topsy-turvy.

In the mid-70s Newsweek had a huge warning on their cover from the scientific community (the consensus at the time) about the coming ice age and how the world was doomed--and would be BY NOW. I recall a couple of cold blizzardy winters growing up in the midwest about that time, so sure......they mistook weather for climate of course.

If they couldn't get it right back then.....how are they all of a sudden getting it right today?

11. vadiver

vadiver New Member

Because Algore said so. nah, nah, nah...:p

You are right. I also believe in the next 10 - 15 years this will die down, then in about 30 years we will be predicitng the next ice age. Again, this is cyclical.

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

There's no "if".

It is a fact - global warming is happening.

Is it because of humans??
    Who created the means for gases to be emmitted?

I think you're getting confused.
    You probably intended to write - is the emmission of green house gases the cause of global warming?????
    Which would be a reasonable question to ask.

The case is closed as regards the fact that temperatures are increasing.

Or are you trying to suggest that temperatures are not increasing?

What may be disputed is what is causing the increase in temperatures.
    But the central point, that temperatures have increased, is not in dispute.
    Nor what is causing that increase - but we'll address that.

Who suggested that the costs were negligible?
    I haven't read anyone here saying that the cost were negligible.

The cost of recommissioning everything that pumps green house gases in to the atmosphere - from powerplants, to planes, to cars - will be huge.

But if we chose not to address climate change - then we're snookered also.

The science - through observation and recording - has shown that temperatures are getting hotter.
    The science isn't based upon an observation of a single year or season - "warmer-than-normal spring" - in a single location.
    Average temperatures readings - over a time period and at different locations
    are used.

Tons of snow in Alaska.
    Maybe they should shift all that Alaskan snow to the Arctic - where huge tracts of ice has melted in the past five years.

13. ndbiker

ndbiker New Member

I don't want to open up a can of worms, well OK maybe I do, but I found this websight. http://theanchoressonline.com/2007/02/26/. If this can be verified, which I'm sure it can, it puts President Bush in quite the juxtiposition to Mr. Gore. I found it while searching for information on carbon offsets. I can be carbon neutral for about $270. Buying a Hummer might up that about $75 a year. By Mr. Gore's reasoning why not? I'll be carbon neutral. It's sure cheaper than a geothermal heatpump or solar powered water heating. This environmental activism thing isn't so bad. I can feel good and get what I want at the same time. Ok guys I'm in. We're all going to die because of global warming. Buy OFFSETS!

14. Ratiocinator

Ratiocinator New Member

Source: http://rense.com/general76/cow.htm

The UN report (PDF): http://www.virtualcentre.org/en/library/key_pub/longshad/A0701E00.pdf

[size=+4]Cow Emissions Harm Planet
    Far More Than C02 From Cars[/size]
    [size=+1]
    By Geoffrey Lean
    Environment Editor
    4-19-7[/size]

[size=+1]Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.[/size] [size=+1]

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.[/size] [size=+1]

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.[/size] [size=+1]

Burning fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas. And their wind and manure emit more than one third of emissions of another, methane, which warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide.[/size] [size=+1]

Livestock also produces more than 100 other polluting gases, including more than two-thirds of the world's emissions of ammonia, one of the main causes of acid rain.[/size]

[size=+1]Ranching, the report adds, is "the major driver of deforestation" worldwide, and overgrazing is turning a fifth of all pastures and ranges into desert.Cows also soak up vast amounts of water: it takes a staggering 990 litres of water to produce one litre of milk.[/size] [size=+1]

Wastes from feedlots and fertilisers used to grow their feed overnourish water, causing weeds to choke all other life. And the pesticides, antibiotics and hormones used to treat them get into drinking water and endanger human health.[/size] [size=+1]

The pollution washes down to the sea, killing coral reefs and creating "dead zones" devoid of life. One is up to 21,000sqkm, in the Gulf of Mexico, where much of the waste from US beef production is carried down the Mississippi.[/size] [size=+1]

The report concludes that, unless drastic changes are made, the massive damage done by livestock will more than double by 2050, as demand for meat increases.[/size] [size=+1]

Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD[/size] [size=+1]Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural Economics[/size] [size=+1]Univ of West Indies[/size] [size=+1]

Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message board at:[/size] [size=+1]http://www.emergingdisease.org/phpbb/index.php[/size] [size=+1]Also my new website:[/size] [size=+1]http://drpdoyle.tripod.com/[/size] [size=+1]Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa[/size] [size=+1]Go with God and in Good Health[/size]

15. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

By that logic - then mankind itself also contributes to CO2 emmissions every time each of us exhales.
    (we inhale oxygen - we exhale carbon dioxide).
    Coupled with the vast emmissions from cars/planes/power plants/homes : all contribute to the increasing level of greenhouse gas emmissions.

16. vadiver

vadiver New Member

Duh

Not to mention the number of people that are on the earth. In the past 30 years the US alone has added 100M 98.6 heat sinks.

But yeat the GW Alarmests want to blame it all on the Capitalistic Industrial Revolution.

And that is why so many people poo poo the GW science.

People want to quote this half degree centigrade increase in temp in the past 100 years. How does that compare to the past 500 years? Warmer or cooler?