Globe Roll 8

mrksf

Dec 31, 2012
I live in San Francisco, in the city. I have a daily commute of about 30 mins riding each way (1hr total per day). The commute is primarily city/urban, with a lot of stop/starting.

In addition, I will have to lift my bike onto a train.

I am considering the Globe Roll 8 - a light weight, nimble bicycle by Globe/Specialized, with 8 speeds, and a steel frame with classic aggressive geometry. The price is between $600-$700 USD.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this bike, or suggestions for alternatives?

Here's a link with info

Thanks!

Judging by the front fork style it would beat you up pretty good. I might want something more forgiving for a commuter. BTW a springer front end would look rad on the front of that thing.

It's a bike that gets pretty decent reviews. It's got gearing that should get you up a lot of San Francisco hills. If you added a rack, it would only be better. I'd suggest test riding one, if possible, to see how it fits, handles, and rides.

Here's the catch: no eyelets or braze-ons for racks/fenders. I guess these could always be brazed on?

mrksf said:
Here's the catch: no eyelets or braze-ons for racks/fenders. I guess these could always be brazed on?
According to the Specialized website, the Globe Roll 8 comes with those braze-ons.