Glove Reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by JRS, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. JRS

    JRS Guest

    have started to suffer from cold fingers now I'm getting old. have been
    using a pair of polartec fleece gloves which are great until you start
    scrambling in the wet and snow and they get soggy and cold. can anyone
    suggest some that are reasonably warm, waterproof and not too bulky to carry
    around on a just in case basis?

    thanks

    Jon

    Tags:

  2. Andy Champ

    Andy Champ Guest

    JRS wrote:
    > have started to suffer from cold fingers now I'm getting old. have been
    > using a pair of polartec fleece gloves which are great until you start
    > scrambling in the wet and snow and they get soggy and cold. can anyone
    > suggest some that are reasonably warm, waterproof and not too bulky to carry
    > around on a just in case basis?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Jon

    Pop down to your local chandlers and have a look. They ought to have a
    decent range of gloves designed to survive the odd bit of rain, or even
    a wave over the deck...

    Andy

  3. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, JRS
    <[email protected]> writes
    >have started to suffer from cold fingers now I'm getting old. have been
    >using a pair of polartec fleece gloves which are great until you start
    >scrambling in the wet and snow and they get soggy and cold. can anyone
    >suggest some that are reasonably warm, waterproof and not too bulky to carry
    >around on a just in case basis?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >Jon

    Does anyone know of some "The North Face" Goretex Gloves that come in
    Cherry Red (seriously) I have seen a pair with one our MRT but can't
    find any on the WWW.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  4. "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JRS wrote:
    >> have started to suffer from cold fingers now I'm getting old. have been
    >> using a pair of polartec fleece gloves which are great until you start
    >> scrambling in the wet and snow and they get soggy and cold. can anyone
    >> suggest some that are reasonably warm, waterproof and not too bulky to
    >> carry around on a just in case basis?

    > The Seaslskinz ones are waterproof and they do a few different weights
    > now. The Ultra Grip has a merino lining and should allow a good deal of
    > manual dexterity. I've been meaning to replace my old Sealskinz for a
    > while now, since one floated off into the Pacific...

    I don't like gloves as a whole, but I have a pair of the Sealskinz ones with
    the merino lining. They are the only gloves I could find which were
    waterproof and yet maintained good dexterity. The Ultra Grip bit is really
    grippy.

    I used them on Helvellyn recently. Temperature was -3C but windy enough
    that we had trouble walking upright (I would guess gusting to 40-50mph at
    least). The gloves were fine all day except for a short period of about 15
    minutes when I had cold hands. I can't explain why I had cold hands for
    that time (or why they warmed up again), but it was the only time I suffered
    with them, so I would describe them as warm enough.

    The only downside is that they can feel clammy once they have been soaked
    the day before and not been dried out well. Leaving on a radiator for an
    hour seems to sort them perfectly.

    Having said all that, I am looking to get some mittens for some serious days
    in the Cairngorms in early March (soft southern Jessie that I am). This may
    prove overkill as I'm not much of a winter expert (or Scotland expert come
    to that). I'll be taking my Sealskinz as backup though.

    Have fun,
    Paul

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    JRS wrote:
    > have started to suffer from cold fingers now I'm getting old. have been
    > using a pair of polartec fleece gloves which are great until you start
    > scrambling in the wet and snow and they get soggy and cold. can anyone
    > suggest some that are reasonably warm, waterproof and not too bulky to carry
    > around on a just in case basis?

    The Seaslskinz ones are waterproof and they do a few different weights
    now. The Ultra Grip has a merino lining and should allow a good deal of
    manual dexterity. I've been meaning to replace my old Sealskinz for a
    while now, since one floated off into the Pacific...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  6. Swello

    Swello Guest

    I suffer from cold hands on the hill whenever I stop for lunch, etc -
    I've found the Mountain Hardwear Powerstretch gloves to be superb -
    they are both close fitting and warm and they also act as a glove liner
    under my winter Gauntlets or my mid-weight gloves when it gets colder.
    This layering approach has really helped.

  7. W. D. Grey <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know of some "The North Face" Goretex Gloves that come in
    > Cherry Red (seriously) I have seen a pair with one our MRT but can't
    > find any on the WWW.

    Hi, I usually lurk so I'm just popping in. I'm fairly sure I saw these
    in red in a French sports shop Go Sport the other day (whilst buying
    some similar own brand red ones :) The North Face ones might possibly
    have been in Decathlon. If you know anyone travelling to France you
    could ask them to have a look. HTH

    --
    Holly, in France
    Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool!

  8. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 25/1/06 00:01, in article [email protected], "Paul
    Cummings" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't like gloves as a whole, but I have a pair of the Sealskinz ones with
    > the merino lining. They are the only gloves I could find which were
    > waterproof and yet maintained good dexterity. The Ultra Grip bit is really
    > grippy.

    I've become a big fan of these this winter. I bought them after having the
    same problems with wet gloves - that were almost impossible to put on or
    off.

    The Sealskinz are not as warm but as you exercise the breathe really well.
    I've found them to be just about perfect for walking and cycling.

    --
    Andy Howell, Birmingham, UK. To mail simply put back the dots ...

    Must Be Over There ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/trek

  9. Holly, in France <[email protected]>

    > Hi, I usually lurk so I'm just popping in. I'm fairly sure I saw these
    > in red in a French sports shop Go Sport the other day

    Err, no, I was wrong. I was in there yesterday, no North Face red ones.
    Their black skiing gloves are down from 60 euros to 42 euros though, if
    that's any good to anyone? :)

    Holly, in France
    Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool!
    http://la-plaine.chez-alice.fr/index.htm

  10. Holly, in France <[email protected]>

    > Hi, I usually lurk so I'm just popping in. I'm fairly sure I saw these
    > in red in a French sports shop Go Sport the other day

    Err, no, I was wrong. I was in there yesterday, no North Face red ones.
    Their black skiing gloves are down from 60 euros to 42 euros though, if
    that's any good to anyone? :)

    Holly, in France
    Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool!
    http://la-plaine.chez-alice.fr/index.htm

  11. Jay

    Jay Guest

    For most of my glove-related needs I've found Sealskinz to be excellent.
    Waterproof and warm.

    When it is really cold I've got NorthFace Tempest Ski-gloves, not
    waterproof and Exremities mittens, exceedingly warm and waterproof too

    Jay

    Andy Champ wrote:
    > JRS wrote:
    >
    >> have started to suffer from cold fingers now I'm getting old. have
    >> been using a pair of polartec fleece gloves which are great until you
    >> start scrambling in the wet and snow and they get soggy and cold. can
    >> anyone suggest some that are reasonably warm, waterproof and not too
    >> bulky to carry around on a just in case basis?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>

    > Pop down to your local chandlers and have a look. They ought to have a
    > decent range of gloves designed to survive the odd bit of rain, or even
    > a wave over the deck...
    >
    > Andy

  12. Jay