Gloves for below freezing conditions...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt O'Toole, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands warm while riding my
    road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter gloves are fine down to about freezing, but
    below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but they're too clumsy
    for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind spending some money for exactly the
    right thing.

    Matt O.

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 01:56:06 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands warm while riding my
    >road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter gloves are fine down to about freezing, but
    >below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but they're too clumsy
    >for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind spending some money for exactly the
    >right thing.
    >
    >Matt O.

    Half-finger wool gloves can help a lot. With light-weight full gloves and half-finger wool, I've
    been able to bike, hike, stand still in the snow watching birds, etc. into the teens. I guess the
    blood has lost a bit less heat by the time it gets out to the fingers.

    $6-8 at army surplus stores, or some outdoor stores will have them in colors other than black.

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    PI Lobsters work well for cold, but you will need to see how they work for grip and lever control.
    Layer a polypropelene (sp?) under your glove of choice if the fit isn't too tight or
    layer a larger size cycling glove over your exisiting PI lightweights.

  4. Q.

    Q. Guest

    > Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my
    hands warm
    > while riding my road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter
    gloves
    > are fine down to about freezing, but below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves
    > are fine, but they're too clumsy for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind
    > spending some money for
    exactly
    > the right thing.

    There was a recent discussion on the Mass Bike email list. That would be a great place to look,
    since it gets REALLY cold around here ... not a balmy 20+ (c:

    http://www.massbike.org/

    There were some good suggestions ... the one I like the most is to make or buy a windscreen for
    your hands.

    C.Q.C.

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Q. wrote:
    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands warm while riding my
    >> road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter gloves are fine down to about freezing, but
    >> below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but they're too clumsy
    >> for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind spending some money for exactly the
    >> right thing.
    >
    > There was a recent discussion on the Mass Bike email list. That would be a great place to look,
    > since it gets REALLY cold around here ... not a balmy 20+ (c:
    >
    > http://www.massbike.org/
    >
    > There were some good suggestions ... the one I like the most is to make or buy a windscreen for
    > your hands.

    Thanks for the pointer. The PI lobster mitts seemed to get a bunch of votes. I'll check them out.

    Matt O.

  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Matt O'Toole" wrote ...
    > Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my
    hands warm
    > while riding my road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter
    gloves
    > are fine down to about freezing, but below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves
    > are fine, but they're too clumsy for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind
    > spending some money for
    exactly
    > the right thing.
    >
    > Matt O.

    My PI Lobster Mitts have worked for me down to 0 deg F, but I'm not sure if they would allow the
    manual dexterity you want for STI (I use barcons). Another solution would be a pair of glove liners
    for your present gloves. Ski shops and mountaineering shops sell silk and synthetic liners in
    various thicknesses.

    I'm convinced that part of keeping the extremities (toes/fingers) warm is keeping the entire body
    warm, especially the head, neck, and torso. Are you wearing some kind of hat under your helmet when
    you cycle?
    --
    mark

  7. Matt O'Toole wrote:
    > Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands warm while riding my
    > road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter gloves are fine down to about freezing, but
    > below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but they're too clumsy
    > for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind spending some money for exactly the
    > right thing.
    >
    > Matt O.

    I use to wear some Nalini Windstopper gloves, I guess they are like your Pearl Izumis: lightweight
    and fine until you reach about 3°C. My solution for colder days is to wear a pair of wool gloves
    below the Nalinis. While the windstopper keeps the air away, the wool keep hands hot. Grip is
    perfect, STI control is fine and I had no problem well under 0°C!

    Francesco

  8. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    What works is very individual, depending on what triggers your blood flow to shut down to the
    fingers. Once it shuts down, you'll freeze no matter what you're wearing.

    The chief effect in my case is from keeping the wrist warm.

    It was -2 degrees F Friday night when I got home, and I was okay but barely with (inner to outer)
    3 silk gloves (L XL XL) Nashbar polartec mittens (L) Kroger produce baggie LL Bean windstopper
    shell (XL)

    the baggie trapping condensation but also keeping just that little extra drifting cold out, or maybe
    making hand motion pump hot air around rather than out of the arrangement. Normally there's no
    baggie and only 2 silk gloves, and that's fine to about 20 degrees F.

    The two modes of attack are
    1. Keep blood flow from shutting down.
    2. If it does, keep hands warm anyway for duration of the ride, but this is a losing proposition
    if the ride goes on and on indefinitely.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  9. At any given thickness, ski gloves by Toko/Yoko and Sinisalo seem warmer to me than Pearl Izumi.

    But if you're using PI and like it, and are not using the heaviest model, go to the next
    heavier model.

    Also, be sure you are warm enough all-around. The body is a system and if you're not warm enough it
    starts cutting off heat to the extremities first.

    JT

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    mark wrote:

    > ... My PI Lobster Mitts have worked for me down to 0 deg F, but I'm not sure if they would allow
    > the manual dexterity you want for STI (I use barcons)....

    My suggestion would be to switch to bar-end shifters. The only shifters I have seen that stop
    functioning on a fairly frequent basis in cold weather are STI's.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:

    > What works is very individual, depending on what triggers your blood flow to shut down to the
    > fingers. Once it shuts down, you'll freeze no matter what you're wearing.
    >
    > ... The two modes of attack are
    > 1. Keep blood flow from shutting down.
    > 2. If it does, keep hands warm anyway for duration of the ride, but this is a losing
    > proposition if the ride goes on and on indefinitely.

    I warm up my hands by sitting on them (one at a time) while I ride. This probably only works well
    on a recumbent with a seat pad, however. Upright riders could put one hand at a time in their
    armpit, I suppose.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  12. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    > Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands
    warm
    > while riding my road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter
    gloves
    > are fine down to about freezing, but below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves
    > are fine, but they're too clumsy for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind
    > spending some money for
    exactly
    > the right thing.

    STI can be a problem with bulky gloves. If you're like a lot of people, perhaps your hands get
    warmer after riding for a half hour or so. In that case, perhaps you can wear an extra layer over
    your current gloves, like a plain or wind-stopper fleece glove, pocketing them once your hands get
    warmed up. The PI gloves (if they're like mine) have thin palms, and the h-bars suck the heat right
    out, a fleece over-layer helps that. Layering gloves gives lots of mix 'n match alternatives for
    different weather conditions, allows temperature tuning while riding, and, in the kind of very cold
    weather we've had recently, avoids bare-handed repairs. Plus, it's a cheap way to go...

  13. Nlee1875

    Nlee1875 Guest

    February 1, 2004

    As already mentioned by many that layering your gloves is important -- as well as the choice of
    fabric used in the construction of the gloves.

    I ride virtually every night for at least one hour. I exercise my three border collies on a
    leash while riding my bike -- two at a time then one. The chore can take as long as three hours
    on some nights.

    Unfortunately my speed with my dogs on a leash is rarely over 7 mph. My body is like a popsicle
    stick -- hands especially.

    For rides around an hour or longer..I pre-soak my hands in warm-hot water until my hands are
    swelling. I learned this trick when I occasionally play handball. The increase blood flow cushions
    the hand from the impact.

    blood flow to certain parts of the body. hi hi :)

    On longer rides.. I also put sun screen on my hands before going out.

    In Reno, NV the average January temperature is 44 high 22 low.

    Sidebar: Boy.. I am glad I got out of Grand Forks, ND decades ago. -44 F (record) on January29- 30,
    2004.

    Much obliged. Nick Lee Sparks, NV carless since January 2000 Member of the 5 digit club (10,000+
    bicycle miles every year since)

  14. I got a pair of PI AmFib gloves for Christmas and they work very well in the cold. I went out (only
    for about 45 min) in 5 degree F weather a few weeks ago and my hands were warm (well, warm enough).
    My feet were cold, and my face started out cold despite a PI balaclava, but everything else was warm
    enough. I agree with other posters who advocate keeping your trunk warm to keep your extremities
    warm. The AmFibs (not the Lobster Claw ones, but with five fingers) allow sufficient dexterity to
    operate the STI controls and even to press the buttons on my bike computer. At any temperature over
    about 25 degrees F though my hands sweat in them.

    -Caddis

    > Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands warm while riding my
    > road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter gloves are fine down to about freezing, but
    > below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but they're too clumsy
    > for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind spending some money for exactly the
    > right thing.
    >
    > Matt O.

  15. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my
    > hands warm
    > > while riding my road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter
    > gloves
    > > are fine down to about freezing, but below that they're not enough. On
    my
    > > mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but they're too clumsy for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is
    > > good, but I don't mind spending some money for
    > exactly
    > > the right thing.
    >
    > There was a recent discussion on the Mass Bike email list. That would be
    > great place to look, since it gets REALLY cold around here ... not a balmy 20+ (c:
    >
    > http://www.massbike.org/
    >
    > There were some good suggestions ... the one I like the most is to make or buy a windscreen for
    > your hands.
    >
    > C.Q.C.

    Go check out a motorcycle shop. They make these big ole bags that fit over the steering controls on
    motorcycles that should work for mtn bikes or brifters. Better for Ergo than STI at a guess. Keep
    motorcyclist's hands warm at highway speeds probably means overkill for cyclists, but better warm
    than cold!

    Mike

  16. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    NLee1875 wrote:

    > February 1, 2004
    >
    > As already mentioned by many that layering your gloves is important -- as well as the choice of
    > fabric used in the construction of the gloves.
    >
    > I ride virtually every night for at least one hour. I exercise my three border collies on a
    > leash while riding my bike -- two at a time then one. The chore can take as long as three hours
    > on some nights.
    >
    > Unfortunately my speed with my dogs on a leash is rarely over 7 mph. My body is like a popsicle
    > stick -- hands especially....

    <http://www.dogscooter.com/>.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  17. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:jI_Sb.51854$k%[email protected]...
    > Matt O'Toole wrote:
    > > Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands warm while riding
    > > my road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter gloves are fine down to about
    > > freezing, but below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but
    > > they're too clumsy for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I
    don't
    > > mind spending some money for exactly the right thing. Matt O.
    >

    > PI Lobsters work well for cold, but you will need to see how they work for grip and lever control.
    > Layer a polypropelene (sp?) under your glove of choice if the fit isn't too tight or layer a
    > larger size cycling glove over your exisiting PI lightweights.

    I second the motion for Lobster Claws.

    Mike

  18. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands warm while riding my
    >road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter gloves are fine down to about freezing, but
    >below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but they're too clumsy
    >for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind spending some money for exactly the
    >right thing.

    A pair of fleece gloves over the PI lightweight gloves.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  19. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > Since it's been cold here lately (20s F), I've had trouble keeping my hands warm while riding my
    > road bike. My favorite Pearl Izumi lightweight winter gloves are fine down to about freezing, but
    > below that they're not enough. On my mountain bike ski gloves are fine, but they're too clumsy
    > for STI. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but I don't mind spending some money for exactly the
    > right thing.

    What I do down to about the mid-20's, is to use my PI full-finger gloves (probably same as yours),
    with some regular extra-large half-finger padded-palm cycling gloves over them. The extra padding
    seems to add enough insulation where my palms meet the cold bars, and my fingers are still clear
    enough to handle the shifting duties. I don't really have a solution for colder temperatures, but
    this works most of the time.

  20. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > mark wrote:
    >
    > > ... My PI Lobster Mitts have worked for me down to 0 deg F, but I'm not sure if they would allow
    > > the manual dexterity you want for STI (I use barcons)....
    >
    > My suggestion would be to switch to bar-end shifters. The only shifters I have seen that stop
    > functioning on a fairly frequent basis in cold weather are STI's.

    I've ridden my Tiagra STI's down to 0°F with no problems. They're only 4 months old, though...