Gloves for Big guys

diner59

Guest
Any suggestions for gloves for a big & slow cyclist ?
I need something with a lot of padding, I'm xxl.

My old gel pair has flattened, and I've taken to putting half a
kitchen sponge in each glove to keep my hands from going numb.

PS the Nashbar Liquicell gloves suck. And Performance's Century gel
glove isn't all that great, either.

Thanks,

diner59 wrote:
:: Any suggestions for gloves for a big & slow cyclist ?
:: I need something with a lot of padding, I'm xxl.
::
:: My old gel pair has flattened, and I've taken to putting half a
:: kitchen sponge in each glove to keep my hands from going numb.
::
::
:: PS the Nashbar Liquicell gloves suck. And Performance's Century gel
:: glove isn't all that great, either.
::
:: Thanks,

Why do you need gloves with more padding than anyone else?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:13:35 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:

> Why do you need gloves with more padding than anyone else?

Seconded. Maybe the handlebar is too low?

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:13:35 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::
::: Why do you need gloves with more padding than anyone else?
::
:: Seconded. Maybe the handlebar is too low?
::

That's what I'm wondering..

diner59 wrote:

> Any suggestions for gloves for a big & slow cyclist ?
> I need something with a lot of padding, I'm xxl.

Try some weight-lifting gloves.

Bill S.

On Jul 11, 6:13 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> diner59 wrote:
>
> :: Any suggestions for gloves for a big & slow cyclist ?
> :: I need something with a lot of padding, I'm xxl.
> ::
> :: My old gel pair has flattened, and I've taken to putting half a
> :: kitchen sponge in each glove to keep my hands from going numb.
> ::
> ::
> :: PS the Nashbar Liquicell gloves suck. And Performance's Century gel
> :: glove isn't all that great, either.
> ::
> :: Thanks,
>
> Why do you need gloves with more padding than anyone else?

bc I'm 270 lbs

I'll try raising the handlebars tomorrow.
Wish I had thought of that.
Thanks, guys.

diner59 who? wrote:
> On Jul 11, 6:13 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> diner59 wrote:
>>
>> :: Any suggestions for gloves for a big & slow cyclist ?
>> :: I need something with a lot of padding, I'm xxl.
>> ::
>> :: My old gel pair has flattened, and I've taken to putting half a
>> :: kitchen sponge in each glove to keep my hands from going numb.
>> ::
>> ::
>> :: PS the Nashbar Liquicell gloves suck. And Performance's Century gel
>> :: glove isn't all that great, either.
>> ::
>> :: Thanks,
>>
>> Why do you need gloves with more padding than anyone else?

> bc I'm 270 lbs

That is only two-thirds of a Chalo.

"diner59" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'll try raising the handlebars tomorrow.
> Wish I had thought of that.
> Thanks, guys.

An overall goal for you would be to improve core strength. If you are using
your core to hold up your body, you won't be propping up your upper torso
with your arms on the handlebars. This is true no matter what you weigh.

Also, pay attention to your posture. And make sure your arms are a bit bent,
with your wrists straight. This will help with the numbness in the hands.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

On Jul 12, 7:23 am, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "diner59" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I'll try raising the handlebars tomorrow.
> > Wish I had thought of that.
> > Thanks, guys.

> An overall goal for you would be to improve core strength. If you are using
> your core to hold up your body, you won't be propping up your upper torso
> with your arms on the handlebars. This is true no matter what you weigh.
>
> Also, pay attention to your posture. And make sure your arms are a bit bent,
> with your wrists straight. This will help with the numbness in the hands.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

I think Claire has it exaclty right. Core strength and psosition (fit)
on the bike are the key. if that is good gloves will serve more to
avoid slipping on the bars and/or protecting the hands in a crash than
for padding while riding. When riding hard many riders actually feel
that they are pulling up on the bars as opposed to resting weight on
the bars.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> diner59 who? wrote:
> >
> > Roger Zoul wrote:
> >>
> >> diner59 wrote:
> >> ::
> >> :: Any suggestions for gloves for a big & slow cyclist ?
> >> :: I need something with a lot of padding, I'm xxl.
> >> ::
> >> :: My old gel pair has flattened, and I've taken to putting half a
> >> :: kitchen sponge in each glove to keep my hands from going numb.
> >> ::
> >> :: PS the Nashbar Liquicell gloves suck. And Performance's Century gel
> >> :: glove isn't all that great, either.
> >> ::
> >> :: Thanks,
> >>
> >> Why do you need gloves with more padding than anyone else?

> > bc I'm 270 lbs

> That is only two-thirds of aChalo.

I think his bars are too low.

Furthermore, I think the OP should consider using flat bars, riser
bars, North Road bars, etc., that can be fitted with nice soft grips.
Grab-On foam grips look goofy and don't last too long, but they are
cheap and very comfy. They are even available for drop bars-- though
that does bring to mind the proverb about straining at a gnat but
swallowing a camel.

Chalo

Thanks for all your suggestions, people.

I'll work my core and work on my posture and weight.

You've all been very helpful.

diner59

PS Claire - your website seems interesting, but your link doesn't
work.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:17:56 -0000, diner59 wrote:

> I'll work my core and work on my posture and weight.

And I'll do 20 minutes of stretching after every ride instead
of hopping into the shower, then stuffing my face. Honest :)

diner59 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any suggestions for gloves for a big & slow cyclist ?
>I need something with a lot of padding, I'm xxl.
>
>My old gel pair has flattened, and I've taken to putting half a
>kitchen sponge in each glove to keep my hands from going numb.
>

>PS the Nashbar Liquicell gloves suck. And Performance's Century gel
>glove isn't all that great, either.
>
>Thanks,

I have trouble getting gloves big enough too (big hands,
big...gloves).

You didnt mention the kind of bike, so this assumes it is not a road
bike. Most grips always seem too small for my hands, but I found a
gel grip at Nashbar that is GREAT. They are slightly larger, very
slightly contoured to fit your grip and being gel, on rides under 50
miles I rarely even need gloves.

The surface of them is...well, some sort of poly-something that they
dont get slippery when wet like you'd think. I love em.

VBadJuJu wrote:
:: diner59 <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: Any suggestions for gloves for a big & slow cyclist ?
::: I need something with a lot of padding, I'm xxl.
:::
[...]

You do wear them anyway, right? I never get on my bike without
gloves....might go down...and I need to protect my hands as much as
possible.

::
:: The surface of them is...well, some sort of poly-something that they
:: dont get slippery when wet like you'd think. I love em.

Have you found any glove supplies

Mike