gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex

Hi all,

I'm new and thought I'd get some advice. Anyone have experience with lobster claw gloves? The
Icebike gloves look ideal but at $110.00, not. I've decided that all finger gloves just don't cut
it. I usually don't go out if it is lower then say 5 - 10*F so want something that'll work at that
temp as well as being waterproof. I also want waterproof pants. The lowest price I've found thus far
are the Gore Bike Extreme at $150.00 (pants only) at www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7564.
Dare I hope that there's some out there that's say, under $100.00?

Thanks! Alexandra "Alex"

I've got a pair of Bellweather "lobster" gloves that I got as a gift a few years ago. I'm a roadie, and I wanted something to keep warm in the cold weather around Chicago.

They're a bit bulky, but very warm. I've only used them a few times because when it gets that cold, I switch to a mountain bike and go crashing (much more slowly) through the woods, because I can't take the wind chill, or there's snowy/wet roads. Unfortunately, these gloves do not adapt well to 2-finger and 3-finger brake levers.

My advice is to try out the gloves in the store for a while before buying; use them on some shift and brake levers. If they're not too bulky or too warm for you (remember you're running hot) get 'em. If you're switching between road and mountain bikes, buy full-finger gloves.

Then again, you can get cheap ski-type gloves (with reinforced palms) just about anywhere...

Tom C.

"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new and thought I'd get some advice. Anyone have experience with
lobster
> claw gloves? The Icebike gloves look ideal but at $110.00, not. I've
decided
> that all finger gloves just don't cut it. I usually don't go out if it is lower then say 5 - 10*F
> so want something that'll work at that temp as
well
> as being waterproof. I also want waterproof pants. The lowest price I've found thus far are the
> Gore Bike Extreme at $150.00 (pants only) at www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7564. Dare I
> hope that there's some out there that's say, under $100.00?
>
> Thanks! Alexandra "Alex"
>
Alex:

I have a pair of Specialized Lobster claws. I have had them for at least 5 years, and they are
great, below freezing gloves. They have a leather palm for reinforcement and are very warm. The down
side, is that they don't breathe well, and I am not sure of their water repellency capabilities.

Kerry

I bought the IceBike gloves and used them first time today. Yes, they are expensive, but (my
opinion) well worth it. Great construction. "Mom and Pop" store dedicated to the customer. Was 6F
this am and my hands actually were sweating. Downside is the price and they are bulky, making
shifting and braking a learning experience. Still, I've tried many different other brands and this
is a superb product. "Kerry" <k n i k o l a i s e n@s b c g lo b a l.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm new and thought I'd get some advice. Anyone have experience with
> lobster
> > claw gloves? The Icebike gloves look ideal but at $110.00, not. I've
> decided
> > that all finger gloves just don't cut it. I usually don't go out if it
is
> > lower then say 5 - 10*F so want something that'll work at that temp as
> well
> > as being waterproof. I also want waterproof pants. The lowest price I've found thus far are the
> > Gore Bike Extreme at $150.00 (pants only) at www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7564. Dare I
> > hope that there's
some
> > out there that's say, under $100.00?
> >
> > Thanks! Alexandra "Alex"
> >
> Alex:
>
> I have a pair of Specialized Lobster claws. I have had them for at least
> years, and they are great, below freezing gloves. They have a leather
palm
> for reinforcement and are very warm. The down side, is that they don't breathe well, and I am not
> sure of their water repellency capabilities.
>
> Kerry

I too have a pair of these gloves and they're great. As per the pants. I bought some insulated tights on clearance ($30) at road runner sports and then wear a waterproof windbreaker over the top ($20-$30) at nashbar. It got down to 13* the last few nights and I have yet to get cold or sweaty. And I ride 15 miles to work and back.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>Hi all, I'm new and thought I'd get some advice. Anyone have experience with lobster claw gloves?
>The Icebike gloves look ideal but at $110.00, not. I've decided that all finger gloves just don't
>cut it. I usually don't go out if it is lower then say 5 - 10*F so want something that'll work at
>that temp as well as being waterproof.

Lobster gloves work really well. I have a pair Nashbar brand, they called them penguin gloves, from
a while back. They are not waterproof, but very water resistant. Waterproofness in a glove is not
important to me because if it is that cold and wet, I won't be on a bike.
--------------
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.