gloves

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Alex, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm new and thought I'd get some advice. Anyone have experience with lobster claw gloves? The
    Icebike gloves look ideal but at $110.00, not. I've decided that all finger gloves just don't cut
    it. I usually don't go out if it is lower then say 5 - 10*F so want something that'll work at that
    temp as well as being waterproof. I also want waterproof pants. The lowest price I've found thus far
    are the Gore Bike Extreme at $150.00 (pants only) at www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7564.
    Dare I hope that there's some out there that's say, under $100.00?

    Thanks! Alexandra "Alex"

    Tags:

  2. tomasbikes

    tomasbikes New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2003
    I've got a pair of Bellweather "lobster" gloves that I got as a gift a few years ago. I'm a roadie, and I wanted something to keep warm in the cold weather around Chicago.

    They're a bit bulky, but very warm. I've only used them a few times because when it gets that cold, I switch to a mountain bike and go crashing (much more slowly) through the woods, because I can't take the wind chill, or there's snowy/wet roads. Unfortunately, these gloves do not adapt well to 2-finger and 3-finger brake levers.

    My advice is to try out the gloves in the store for a while before buying; use them on some shift and brake levers. If they're not too bulky or too warm for you (remember you're running hot) get 'em. If you're switching between road and mountain bikes, buy full-finger gloves.

    Then again, you can get cheap ski-type gloves (with reinforced palms) just about anywhere...

    Tom C.

  3. Kerry

    Kerry Guest

    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm new and thought I'd get some advice. Anyone have experience with
    lobster
    > claw gloves? The Icebike gloves look ideal but at $110.00, not. I've
    decided
    > that all finger gloves just don't cut it. I usually don't go out if it is lower then say 5 - 10*F
    > so want something that'll work at that temp as
    well
    > as being waterproof. I also want waterproof pants. The lowest price I've found thus far are the
    > Gore Bike Extreme at $150.00 (pants only) at www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7564. Dare I
    > hope that there's some out there that's say, under $100.00?
    >
    > Thanks! Alexandra "Alex"

    Alex:

    I have a pair of Specialized Lobster claws. I have had them for at least 5 years, and they are
    great, below freezing gloves. They have a leather palm for reinforcement and are very warm. The down
    side, is that they don't breathe well, and I am not sure of their water repellency capabilities.

    Kerry

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I bought the IceBike gloves and used them first time today. Yes, they are expensive, but (my
    opinion) well worth it. Great construction. "Mom and Pop" store dedicated to the customer. Was 6F
    this am and my hands actually were sweating. Downside is the price and they are bulky, making
    shifting and braking a learning experience. Still, I've tried many different other brands and this
    is a superb product. "Kerry" <k n i k o l a i s e [email protected] b c g lo b a l.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm new and thought I'd get some advice. Anyone have experience with
    > lobster
    > > claw gloves? The Icebike gloves look ideal but at $110.00, not. I've
    > decided
    > > that all finger gloves just don't cut it. I usually don't go out if it
    is
    > > lower then say 5 - 10*F so want something that'll work at that temp as
    > well
    > > as being waterproof. I also want waterproof pants. The lowest price I've found thus far are the
    > > Gore Bike Extreme at $150.00 (pants only) at www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7564. Dare I
    > > hope that there's
    some
    > > out there that's say, under $100.00?
    > >
    > > Thanks! Alexandra "Alex"
    > >
    > Alex:
    >
    > I have a pair of Specialized Lobster claws. I have had them for at least
    5
    > years, and they are great, below freezing gloves. They have a leather
    palm
    > for reinforcement and are very warm. The down side, is that they don't breathe well, and I am not
    > sure of their water repellency capabilities.
    >
    > Kerry

  5. speedyr7

    speedyr7 New Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2003
    I too have a pair of these gloves and they're great. As per the pants. I bought some insulated tights on clearance ($30) at road runner sports and then wear a waterproof windbreaker over the top ($20-$30) at nashbar. It got down to 13* the last few nights and I have yet to get cold or sweaty. And I ride 15 miles to work and back.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >Hi all, I'm new and thought I'd get some advice. Anyone have experience with lobster claw gloves?
    >The Icebike gloves look ideal but at $110.00, not. I've decided that all finger gloves just don't
    >cut it. I usually don't go out if it is lower then say 5 - 10*F so want something that'll work at
    >that temp as well as being waterproof.

    Lobster gloves work really well. I have a pair Nashbar brand, they called them penguin gloves, from
    a while back. They are not waterproof, but very water resistant. Waterproofness in a glove is not
    important to me because if it is that cold and wet, I won't be on a bike.
    Alex