Gloves

ciderguy

Aug 31, 2015
Atlanta OTP NW
I'm looking for a pair of decent gloves for under $30 that is available at Performance or Amazon. I would like a better grip when I'm riding in the rain. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Cherylcrer
ciderguy said:
I'm looking for a pair of decent gloves for under $30 that is available at Performance or Amazon. I would like a better grip when I'm riding in the rain. Any suggestions?
I've been riding primarily glove free, but have bought a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves last week. They matched my jersey and were 17 bucks at biketiresdirect.com..to me, gloves aren't that important and the good brands primarily seem to offer the ame protection.

Interesting question. I've never had slip issues with my gloves, I currently use Specialized Body Geometry with no issues. I have heard of some tricks you can do like using neoprene fishing gloves or thicker neoprene dive gloves if cold is an issue and these are cheap, Any glove with real leather palms will also work but not very water resistant though you could spray them with a water repellent.

I think you're biggest problem may be your bar tape, some bar tapes can be pretty slick in the rain which is probably why I haven't had any issues.

I enjoy riding glove free. Do you not like it for a particular reason or did you just want to purchase a pair of gloves?

I ride glove free. I live in a warm climate and don't enjoy sweat building up under my palms when I'm riding. The last time I purchased a pair of riding gloves were at a flee market. They were some cheap Chinese made ones but they were quite comfortable to wear. Since I hardly used them, I donated them to a nearby hostel.

You guys who ride without gloves----do you work with your hands? Any idea what it feels like to rip skin off your hands when you crash? It hurts like ****ing hell, and hurts again the next day when you use your hands for work. Even clerical work like writing and filing papers hurts.

It only took one crash for me to learn. I always wear gloves. No matter how hot. No matter how funky fingerless glove tan lines look on an otherwise bronze arm.

I picked a couple of weeks ago a pair of sport gloves from my local market for 10 bucks since the weather is getting colder all the time. It is in my opinion a very reasonable price and they are really warm and comfortable in hand.

mpre53 said:
You guys who ride without gloves----do you work with your hands? Any idea what it feels like to rip skin off your hands when you crash? It hurts like ****ing hell, and hurts again the next day when you use your hands for work. Even clerical work like writing and filing papers hurts.

It only took one crash for me to learn. I always wear gloves. No matter how hot. No matter how funky fingerless glove tan lines look on an otherwise bronze arm.

I dont want to crash this year, I so dont. :p :D

What mpre53 said.

I value the use of my hands and guess what automatically get stuck out to protect other vital parts of the body when you go flying without an airplane?

Gloves are protection. They protect that which protects you and that which you depend upon daily.

Even with gloves the damage to hands in a crash can be significant, but I'll take my chances in minimizing it by wearing gloves.

CAMPYBOB said:
I value the use of my hands and guess what automatically get stuck out to protect other vital parts of the body when you go flying without an airplane?

Your shoulders? :p

To be honest the main reasons I'll wear gloves when I'm cycling is to stop my hands from slipping if they become sweaty and also at this time of year for the warmth.

Personally I don't think gloves offer all that much protection in a crash, as they tend to be made of light materials anyway, so while they may offer a bit of protection, I wouldn't say that's a primary reason to wear them.

What mpre53 and CampyBob say. Gloves do offer protection and I won't ride without them. Even my summer weight, full-finger Pearl Izumi gloves offer some protection and I'd rather the glove material be rubbed off in a crash than my skin, bones and fingernails. That is well worth $30 or so to me.

Now that it is late fall I often need to use warmer gloves -- skiing gloves, actually -- because it is starting to get cold here in Maryland, the USA. The thicker glove material also has the bonus of offering more protection from flying debris like insects.

Thanks a ton

Bob

CAMPYBOB said:
What mpre53 said.

Gloves are protection. They protect that which protects you and that which you depend upon daily.

Even with gloves the damage to hands in a crash can be significant, but I'll take my chances in minimizing it by wearing gloves.
If you learn to tuck and roll you won't have to worry about breaking hands or arms on impact.

Reactions: BobCochran
Sometimes the tuck & roll works. Most of the crashes I've been in leave no time to do much in the way of filing a flight plan.

I broke a bone in my hand after a fat ass groundhog sprited into my front wheel from foliage 2' off the road side. Another time I slid out on oil in a nice, safe low-side...too bad my hand slapped the road HARD and busted a bone in the wrist. Gloves on, but no saves there.

Getting knocked down in a road race, the web of my hand got absolutely chewed to the ligaments on fresh chip & seal and I can't imagine how much worse it would have been without gloves. My glove's leather palms were dee-stroyed. That was a long time healing.

Reactions: BobCochran
I am in agreement with CampyBob. He puts it very well. I did have a crash several years ago (I was really stupid one day and bicycled on sidewalk), and broke my left thumb at the joint closest to the fingernail. I was wearing gloves and the sidewalk debris cut through the material. It would have been a lot worse without the gloves. I wish I had worn thicker ones (and today I do pick slightly thicker ones, always full-finger.)

Bob

"sprinted"...

If I can still wiggle everythig after a fall it was a 'good' crash. Bleeding, bruising and broken bones are, in the grand scheme of things, not all that important.

Personal protection is always a personal choice ans tradeoffs have to be considered. Like I said, gloves offer some measure of protection...definitely not in all cases..., but well worth considering.

pwarbi said:
To be honest the main reasons I'll wear gloves when I'm cycling is to stop my hands from slipping if they become sweaty and also at this time of year for the warmth.

Personally I don't think gloves offer all that much protection in a crash, as they tend to be made of light materials anyway, so while they may offer a bit of protection, I wouldn't say that's a primary reason to wear them.
Most good cycling gloves have leather on the palms, which offers quite a bit of protection. I've crashed wearing fingerless gloves---rash from the knuckles up, no abrasions below.

BobCochran said:
I am in agreement with CampyBob. He puts it very well. I did have a crash several years ago (I was really stupid one day and bicycled on sidewalk), and broke my left thumb at the joint closest to the fingernail. I was wearing gloves and the sidewalk debris cut through the material. It would have been a lot worse without the gloves. I wish I had worn thicker ones (and today I do pick slightly thicker ones, always full-finger.)

Bob
So how thick would the gloves had to be to stop the debris from cutting your hand? Would a glove 1 inch thick stop it? Wouldn't that be nice to ride a bike with 1 inch thick gloves on just to try to prevent a rare occurrence.

A big tree fell in my backyard a few years back and I decided to cut it using an axe without gloves on....Big mistake...I had at least 20 blisters on my hands in minutes due to the shock.

CAMPYBOB said:
Sometimes the tuck & roll works. Most of the crashes I've been in leave no time to do much in the way of filing a flight plan.

I broke a bone in my hand after a fat ass groundhog sprited into my front wheel from foliage 2' off the road side. Another time I slid out on oil in a nice, safe low-side...too bad my hand slapped the road HARD and busted a bone in the wrist. Gloves on, but no saves there.

Getting knocked down in a road race, the web of my hand got absolutely chewed to the ligaments on fresh chip & seal and I can't imagine how much worse it would have been without gloves. My glove's leather palms were dee-stroyed. That was a long time healing.
Actually I disagree with the bit about not enough time to file a flight plan, in fact most accidents can be tuck a roll or just roll. Of course doing a T-Bone into a the side of a car not so much, but if something happened that sends you flying you automatically, yes automatically, are going into a tuck and roll or rolling position it's our instinct to try to stop that automatic situation that ends up hurting us. I took Aikido for many years and it taught me that a lot of body damage done by force can be eliminated if you go with the flow but instead we tense up and that action causes a lot more harm. If you think about your bicycle accidents you find that a lot of them would have automatically sent you tumbling had you allowed it.

I know you think I'm goofy, ok, you may be right, I'm goofy but I'm not wrong; see this for more: http://www.corfman.com/russell/cycling/crashtechnique.html This site says you have to practice it, yet in reality the situation is already allowing for the action of tuck and roll to take place, the practice part is simply to get us past the point of tensing up and going rigid. Watch a pro cyclist crash and you'll notice they hold onto the bars for as long as possible because doing so helps them to tuck and roll. Here's more on the subject: http://better-biking.com/archives/536