Gloves

"...in fact most accidents can be tuck a roll or just roll.

1. Unseen mutt runs into front wheel from behind parked truck 3'-4' off roadway. WTF just happened?!?! No time to react. No warning. Maybe you guys ride around ready to perform aerial acrobatic maneuvers on a Tuesday afternoon in the Spring time, but I do not.

From the article:
"1.1.Realize you are crashing and think about the following things to do."

The average crash I've been in took from ZERO seconds to the realization that it was happening to a couple seconds...maybe three seconds. Maybe. Human reaction time AT THE BEST is somewhere on the order of .7 to .8 second. In the approximately one second time left to impact I found it difficult to trigger my cheetah-like reflexes and Chinese Touring Acrobat mad skillz to manage a one-and-one-half forward gainer with a half-twist and land, ever so gracefully and catlike, on my feet. Like the LUCKY pro did in the video I posted in the high speed crash from this year's Tour De France hilarity.

Then, examine the evidence of which riders ended up with broken backs (hint: his nick is that of an ancient warrior), who was forced to retire, what the damage to bodies was and watch the slo-mo. Any flipping was rarely, if at all, followed by tucking, let alone rolling.

If you examine that video carefully you will note that 99% of those same, well practiced at crashing pro's did NOT flip or tuck or anything. They were the same human rag dolls most of us mere mortals are during bicycle crashes, car crashes or when we slip in the tub.

"2.Don't let go of the handlebars until you've already hit the ground."

Yeah...about that. Having the bars ripped from your hands, like I had happen in several crashes kinda, sorta negates that scenario. The Boy Wonder I train with also found out that a tuck and roll is impossible after was even started into an endo by dropping his front wheel into an exposed water main shut-off hole (cover missing!) and the bars were ripped from his grip. Sideways and face first into da road of life. Ouchie, indeed. His ear was ripped up. No time to react. He never knew what hit him. Sure, in mid flight he knew he was missile with no inertial guidance system, but there was nothing that could have been done mid-flight to get on target with an air mattress.

Personally, I'll protect the base of my skull with my hands prior to impact. Instinctively or reflexively. 'If' I have the time and control. Which I very rarely have.

"3.Tuck your head down, pull your elbows and knees in."

Damn straight! Fully agree. 'If' reaction time is sufficient and rotational inertia permit it. Otherwise...see: Human Rag Doll note above.

"4.Relax for the impact."

Uh...sure...whatever. I usually find myself in a very relaxed state for life events such as: falls from high places, exposure to Ebola victims, bars fights, impending blunt force trauma, ambulance rides, pending explosions and sex with supermodels.

Now...maybe some ninja-trained pyschobabble spewing moron on Quaaludes can relax for the next 1.468 seconds of his life...you know...the life one generally sees flashing before their eyes as their mother welcomes them into the white light???...well...God bless him and his superior mind control.

Most of us will be...erm...NOT in a relaxed state and other than perhaps 'practicing' by repeatedly slamming my bike and body onto a grass field over and over and over I'm NOT going to ever be "relaxed" for a brutal impact from 20+ MPH to zero in two seconds or less.

Not given another 62 years on this planet is that ever going to happen. Nope.

Yes, I read the entire article.

"The following points are very unnatural and will be close to impossible to do if you don't realize that you need to do them."

Well...no ****. And given that one realizes he needs to do something the odds of being capable of doing it given the physics of an unpracticed, split second event and I will state...just from my experience mind you...that it is almost impossible to perform the above the tuck and roll under most crash situations. I have been in more crashes than I care to remember and the number of times I could perform a willful, planned (whether involuntarily or a deliberate and controlled version) tuck and roll are exactly zero (as best remembered). Gravity (it kills!), inertia, speed-mass vectoring and the resulting battering won the day, sadly.

This, despite an afternoon session of grass field 'practice' with a cohort of equally stupid team mates as alluded to above. I never play soccer, but I did play a lot of football and did countless gym classes with practiced falls. Running falls. Falls and tumbles on mats. Tackle rolls. All of that stuff. NONE of that ever applied in any way, shape or form to my bike crashes so I call ******** on that point of the article.

Crashing, by definition, is a very, very fast and unplanned event. Again, by definition, it is an event in which the participant is NOT in control of pretty much anything. The feet are often unable to be unclipped to guide trajectory or without control input from the rider become unclipped or entangled with the bike and inhibit controlled response. Hands are often torn from the bars in the first split second of an impending crash.

"I know you think I'm goofy,"

Not at all. But in the many years I've ridden (and crashed) I've often heard the 'tuck and roll' advice, but rarely known it to be applicable and actually deployed. IMO it's very much a 'when the stars align' event.

"ok, you may be right,"

I think, when it comes to the average...if there is such a thing...bike crash event, I am. Maybe in a very few events such as close proximity racing that riders practically 'know' there will be crashes and somewhat 'on guard' for them there is a slight...a very slight!...chance that someone will flip through the air still holding a death grip on the bars as they simultaneously react to gyroscopic forces and unclip equally without disturbing their straight forward vector and land without breaking shoulder bones and incurring back injuries that will dog them for the rest of their lives and, of course, not tearing huge chunks out of their glutes.

"If you fall enough, you will get good at falling in a protective manner."

Bull.
****ing.

When it goes down in the blink on an eye you don't even have time to clench your ass like Swami was behind you and you heard a zipper.

That sentence should be corrected to read: "If you fall enough, you will get good at fishing your insurance card out of your wallet with the broken fingers of your left hand."

In the meantime...for those seekers out there:
1. Go find a grass field and practice falling off a perfectly good bike. Repeatedly.
2. YouTube said antics.
3. Post your X-Rays from your next real bike crash.

BTW, Froze...from the doggy crash above. 27 X-Rays. No broken bones. I got lucky. Nothing more. The stars aligned for me on that one.

http://better-biking.com/archives/536

From your second link...

PLEASE looking at the picture of the dude that is in the act of crashing at the top of the page!

I rest my case.

The dude has had at least one hand ripped from the bars and is about to endo into a face plant NOT a tuck & roll. ONE foot is clipped in and one is out of control.

He's obviously not a well-practiced crash ninja...self-aware that he was going to crash 2 seconds before it happened! J/K.

Just HAD to post it!

BikeCrash1.jpg

Not to worry, kidz! This seeker has at least another .7 to 1.3 seconds (depending upon actual measured velocity and vector) to correct his position and put himself into the often talked about but seldom deployed crash-test-dummy tuck & roll attitude for impact.

My guess as to actual outcome?

Dental reconstructive surgery. A split chin. Knees shredded. More scars.

And chicks dig scars.

As for the first link from: Welcome to Russell & Barbara's Bicycling Page Well, I don't know who Russ is or who Barb is, but I'm willing to bet a six pack I've been on the ground more often than Russ has. I therefore proclaim for all the intarwebz that from this day forward I shall now be referred to as, His Royal Ass, The Crash Test Dummy of Ohio, All of Upper West Virginia and Keeper of the Bandages For The Shire Of Pennsyltucky.

In my experience, the "WTF just happened????" occurs .0253795 seconds before the whomp of impact. Yeah, the zero mph oopsie lean to the still-clipped in side lets you figure it out. Sudden flight, not so much

Rather than having to make it up on the fly (literally), why not just wear gloves?

All cussing aside, you're wrong, it can be done, it has been done by many pros, and even a non pro like me has done it. Now moving on.

uote by Volnix:
"With only ribs getting fractured from the upper arm impact with the ribcage... :p"

That, too. Busted ribs twice. Cracked, once. Bruised, a few.

Pro's? Pro's?

Good thing he had gloves on! Because his tuck didn't help his roll. Notice the arm pointing in the wrong direction...guess he needs more Chinese Touring Acrobat lessons.

1431652888851.jpg

<Richard Simmons>...and tuck!...and roll!...and tuck!...and roll!...15 more!...and tuck!...and roll!...

SPTDW515-660x440.jpg

oops...wrong tuck...wrong roll. BRB!

Hey, *****! I said YOU were supposed to tuck and I was going to roll!

giro15-crash-daniele-colli-620.jpg

Andre only gives Gerrans' roll a '3'...poor form. The sideways Etixx rider is disqualified for completely breaking form...and possibly his ribs with an elbow.

1432262620857.jpg

Gloves? Gloves? There's a <Chuck Berry> whole lotta tuckin' and rollin' goin' on...who's gone?...we're gone...all gone!

TourdeFranceCrash-589184.jpg

That crash had one of the most lucky T&R videos I've ever seen. Amid 40-50 guys that didn't T&R, one dude flips and lands, sliding and jogging, on his feet. Try that one in cycling shoes! He literally walks away from the carnage!

This video is a good reason to wear gloves...and ballistic body armor!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yByMQVDk3K4[/media]

Not sure if I saw any tucking??, but I think some of those 40-50 guys were executing the roll part very well.

Agree the pro that got it right was the one who flipped and landed on his feet. Wonder if he practiced that? Makes a lot more sense to me than practicing the T&R, which puts the crashee at risk of back and neck fractures.

In fact, why would anyone risk slamming themselves on the floor when they could just learn to land on their feet and run/walk away without a scratch? I'll bet Sagan could do it.

Quote by dhk2:
"This forum continues to amaze and entertain me."

Thank you...thank you very much! Be sure and try the veal and tip your waitress well! I'll be here all weekend at Uncle Skeezy's Motor Lodge & Cycling Forum Bar and Grill!

"I'll bet Sagan could do it."

...while playing soccer with the front wheel of his bike! The dude's got mad skillz.

Me? I'm just trying to get the Etixx dude's awesome tuck down while keeping my yaw axis of rotation stabilized while hurtling completely out of control through time and space. Meh! My insurance premiums are paid up and I ain't skered!

Reactions: BobCochran
I actually buy cheap azz gloves. Not for crashing but to wipe the tires after riding through debris in an effort to avoid flats.

The $30 gloves suck whereas the $12 gloves are much better at wiping tires. Cause they all eventually tear and losing $12 is much better than losing $30. :lol:

Hey Mr. Beanz, do you think those disposable plastic gloves that doctors wear are equally good at wiping tires?

:)

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
BobCochran said:
Hey Mr. Beanz, do you think those disposable plastic gloves that doctors wear are equally good at wiping tires?

:)

Bob

Ha ha I doubt it! :lol:

I do wipe Gina's bike too after riding through debris. The leather palms is nice and thick to protect my palms. B)

glass_zps9227e7f6.jpg

Mr. Beanz,

That photo shows normal maintenance elevated to all of love, art and heroism. Now I understand why the leather is needed. You have really amazing coordination, reflexes and balance, too.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
BobCochran said:
Mr. Beanz,

That photo shows normal maintenance elevated to all of love, art and heroism. Now I understand why the leather is needed. You have really amazing coordination, reflexes and balance, too.

Thanks a ton

Bob
Ha ha ha so I have been told! About the balance. I have done a lot of things where people ask, "how do you do that?". :eek:

As far as heroism? Nah! I do it because if she flats, I have to fix it! :D

Mr. Beanz said:
I actually buy cheap azz gloves. Not for crashing but to wipe the tires after riding through debris in an effort to avoid flats.

The $30 gloves suck whereas the $12 gloves are much better at wiping tires. Cause they all eventually tear and losing $12 is much better than losing $30. :lol:
I never wipe tires anymore, I use to wipe my tires a lot when I use to live in Goat head city to get the goat heads off the tire but since moving away from goat heads I discovered rather quickly I got just as many flats wiping as I did not wiping, and the reason for that by the time you think you see something in your tire it's either already penetrated or by the time you get your hand out to wipe it off the tire has made several revolutions and thus the object is already embedded into the tire. I may still do it on a rare occasion maybe after riding through a debris field of glass, but my gloves hold up for 3 to 4 years anyways and the occasional tire wipe doesn't hut them.