Glucosamine bad for arthritis?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gene Haywood, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Gene Haywood

    Gene Haywood Guest

    Just as glucosamine becomes firmly established as an effective help against arthritis, someone comes
    along to try to burst the balloon. One of the purveyors of health newsletters now claims that
    glucosamine, taken alone, can make arthritis worse after initial improvement by depleting the body
    of bone-health nutrients. Anyone know anything about this?

    Tags:

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    And might we be safe to conclude that this self same person making the report sells some miricle in
    a bottle to make things all right again?

    >Just as glucosamine becomes firmly established as an effective help against arthritis, someone
    >comes along to try to burst the balloon. One of the purveyors of health newsletters now claims that
    >glucosamine, taken alone, can make arthritis worse after initial improvement by depleting the body
    >of bone-health nutrients. Anyone know anything about this?

  3. Gene Haywood

    Gene Haywood Guest

    > And might we be safe to conclude that this self same person making the report sells some miricle
    > in a bottle to make things all right again?
    >

    > >Just as glucosamine becomes firmly established as an effective help against arthritis, someone
    > >comes along to try to burst the balloon. One of the purveyors of health newsletters now claims
    > >that glucosamine, taken alone, can make arthritis worse after initial improvement by depleting
    > >the body of bone-health nutrients. Anyone know anything about this?

    That self-same person is Dr. Bruce West who sells a health newsletter. I don't know if he sells
    supplements or not.

  4. I would check idea out but Drs often crank out any excuse they can cook up to avoid a remedy this is
    out of their province.

    What was his reasoning?

    And as to the Mark D. Toads comments, I'd not worry. He (IMHO) has a desire to control.

    "Gene Haywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > And might we be safe to conclude that this self same person making the report sells some miricle
    > > in a bottle to make things all right again?
    > >

    > > >Just as glucosamine becomes firmly established as an effective help against arthritis, someone
    > > >comes along to try to burst the balloon. One of the purveyors of health newsletters now claims
    > > >that glucosamine, taken alone, can make arthritis worse after initial improvement by depleting
    > > >the body of bone-health nutrients. Anyone know anything about this?
    >
    > That self-same person is Dr. Bruce West who sells a health newsletter. I don't know if he sells
    > supplements or not.

  5. Glucosamine has been shown in many studies to actually help regenerate cartilage that has been
    affected by osteoarthritis. I have yet to read a study showing it depeletes the body of 'bone-
    building' nutrients such as calcium phosphorus, etc.

    Curt

    Free Email Newsletter: Click on the Link to Subscribe The best information to help you achieve
    optimal health Workouts, diet information, and special offers and more
    http://www.physicallyelite.com/newsletter.cfm

    "William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would check idea out but Drs often crank out any excuse they can cook up to avoid a remedy this
    > is out of their province.
    >
    > What was his reasoning?
    >
    > And as to the Mark D. Toads comments, I'd not worry. He (IMHO) has a desire to control.
    >
    > "Gene Haywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > And might we be safe to conclude that this self same person making the report sells some
    > > > miricle in a bottle to make things all right again?

    > > That self-same person is Dr. Bruce West who sells a health newsletter. I don't know if he sells
    > > supplements or not.

  6. markd

    markd Guest

    Ah, just as suspected, hhe has a product to cure the problem he
    "discovered":

    On a page titled "Health alerts Full Line of Products" his newsletter:

    " Glucosamine Synergy(TM) Size: 90, Daily Dosage: 3-6"

    I wish to control nothing, only to let folk have information by which to consider all sides of a
    question so informed choices can be made by each individual.

    He ain't a "dr." in the medical definition, just another self appointed "researcher". His degree is
    of the "snap crackle pop" spine type and is said to have a degree in biochem. In his "detailed bio",
    his term not mine, there is nothing about medical education. So a call to his 800 number, which
    sells his newsletter, found the above. When I asked which schools attended was told to subscribe and
    then one could ask such questions; nuff said.

    >I would check idea out but Drs often crank out any excuse they can cook up to avoid a remedy this
    >is out of their province.
    >
    >What was his reasoning?
    >
    >And as to the Mark D. Toads comments, I'd not worry. He (IMHO) has a desire to control.
    >
    >"Gene Haywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> [email protected] wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]net.com>...
    >> > And might we be safe to conclude that this self same person making the report sells some
    >> > miricle in a bottle to make things all right again?

    >> That self-same person is Dr. Bruce West who sells a health newsletter. I don't know if he sells
    >> supplements or not.

  7. Gene Haywood

    Gene Haywood Guest

    > Ah, just as suspected, hhe has a product to cure the problem he "discovered":
    >
    > On a page titled "Health alerts Full Line of Products" his newsletter:
    >
    > " Glucosamine Synergy(TM) Size: 90, Daily Dosage: 3-6"
    >
    > I wish to control nothing, only to let folk have information by which to consider all sides of a
    > question so informed choices can be made by each individual.
    >
    > He ain't a "dr." in the medical definition, just another self appointed "researcher". His degree
    > is of the "snap crackle pop" spine type and is said to have a degree in biochem. In his "detailed
    > bio", his term not mine, there is nothing about medical education. So a call to his 800 number,
    > which sells his newsletter, found the above. When I asked which schools attended was told to
    > subscribe and then one could ask such questions; nuff said.

    Thanks for your good research.