glucosamine / metal chelator

Doe

Guest
These studies seem to tell us the mode of action of
glucosamine in arthritis is the SAME as the mode of action
of indocin or indomethacine or .. aspirin .. or .. tagamet
or .. metal binding.

<<snip>> Glucosamine is a precursor to a molecule called a
glycosaminoglycan-this molecule is used in the formation and
repair of cartilage. Chondroitin is the most abundant
glycosaminoglycan in cartilage and is responsible for the
resiliency of cartilage. <<snip>>

http://tinyurl.com/2be6h

<<snip>> These outcomes confirm the antioxidant properties
of GAGs (glycosaminoglycans) and further support the
hypothesis that these molecules may function as metal
chelators. <<snip>>

http://tinyurl.com/25yzo

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
PEOPLE WALKING

On 2004-03-07 15:57:06 -0500, [email protected] (doe) said:

> These studies seem to tell us the mode of action of
> glucosamine in arthritis is the SAME as the mode of action
> of indocin or indomethacine or .. aspirin .. or .. tagamet
> or .. metal binding.
>
> <<snip>> Glucosamine is a precursor to a molecule called a
> glycosaminoglycan-this molecule is used in the formation
> and repair of cartilage. Chondroitin is the most abundant
> glycosaminoglycan in cartilage and is responsible for the
> resiliency of cartilage. <<snip>>
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2be6h
>
> <<snip>> These outcomes confirm the antioxidant properties
> of GAGs (glycosaminoglycans) and further support the
> hypothesis that these molecules may function as metal
> chelators. <<snip>>

Eh? This is a four-year-old article, basically an opinion
piece. And where was it published? I didn't think so.

>Subject: Re: glucosamine / metal chelator
>From: anon [email protected]
>Date: 3/7/2004 5:11 PM Mountain Standard Time
>
>On 2004-03-07 15:57:06 -0500, [email protected]
>(doe) said:
>
>> These studies seem to tell us the mode of action of
>> glucosamine in
>arthritis is
>> the SAME as the mode of action of indocin or
>> indomethacine or .. aspirin ..
>or
>> .. tagamet or .. metal binding.
>>
>> <<snip>> Glucosamine is a precursor to a molecule called
>> a glycosaminoglycan-this molecule is used in the
>> formation and repair of cartilage. Chondroitin is the
>> most abundant glycosaminoglycan in cartilage and is
>> responsible for the resiliency of cartilage. <<snip>>
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2be6h
>>
>> <<snip>> These outcomes confirm the antioxidant
>> properties of GAGs
>(glycosaminoglycans)
>> and further support the hypothesis that these molecules
>> may function as
>metal
>> chelators. <<snip>>
>

>Eh? This is a four-year-old article, basically an opinion
>piece. And where was it published? I didn't think so.

Published in '03 ..

Glycoconj J. 2003 Feb;20(2):133-41. Links

Glycosaminoglycans reduce oxidative damage induced by copper
(Cu(+2)), iron (Fe(+2)) and hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) in
human fibroblast cultures.

Campo GM, D'Ascola A, Avenoso A, Campo S, Ferlazzo AM,
Micali C, Zanghi L, Calatroni A.

Department of Biochemical, Physiological and Nutritional
Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Messina,
Policlinico Universitario, 98125 Messina, Italy.
[email protected]

Acid glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) antioxidant activity was
assessed in a fibroblast culture system by evaluating
reduction of oxidative system-induced damage.Three
different methods to induce oxidative stress in human skin
fibroblast cultures were used. In the first protocol cells
were treated with CuSO(4) plus ascorbate. In the second
experiment fibroblasts were exposed to FeSO(4) plus
ascorbate. In the third system H(2)O(2) was utilised.The
exposition of fibroblasts to each one of the three oxidant
systems caused inhibition of cell growth and cell death,
increase of lipid peroxidation evaluated by the analysis of
malondialdehyde (MDA), decrease of reduced glutathione
(GSH) and superoxide dismutase (SOD) levels, and rise of
lactate dehydrogenase activity (LDH).The treatment with
commercial GAGs at different doses showed beneficial
effects in all oxidative models. Hyaluronic acid (HA) and
chondroitin-4-sulphate (C4S) exhibited the highest
protection. However, the cells exposed to CuSO(4) plus
ascorbate and FeSO(4) plus ascorbate were better protected
by GAGs compared to those exposed to H(2)O(2).These
outcomes confirm the antioxidant properties of GAGs and
further support the hypothesis that these molecules may
function as metal chelators. Published in 2004.

PMID: 15001845 [PubMed - in process]

------