Glucosol-v-Dextrosol

gbritton!

Guest
Dextrosol has not been available here for over a year. Any old stock I could find(pharmacies/First-
Aid stores) is now getting old and no longer works as nicely.

Today I found Glucosol on the pharmacy shelf, the ingredients are not identical to Dextrosol, it's
almost twice the price, and I've never used it before.

Anyone with experiences using both? Are they inter-changeable, or at least does Glucosol work as
quickly as Dextrosol always has?
--

Dextrosol is an anhydrous form of dextrose - basically just a sugar. See
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/d0835.htm for details.

Glucosol seems to contain the herb LAGERSTROEMIA SPECIOSA L. - QUEEN'S FLOWER. Common name: Queen's
flower, pride of India, queen's crape myrtle, banaba. Family: lythraceae (loosestrife family). A
typical link is http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Products/ProductDescription.cfm?SKUNumber=0105

In the first case, taking a sugar just brings up your blood sugar.

For the second med, I can't find it's mechanism of action, but for sure, you wouldn't want to take
it if you are hypo.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:39:18 UTC, PagCal <[email protected]> wrote:

> In the first case, taking a sugar just brings up your blood sugar.
>
> For the second med, I can't find it's mechanism of action, but for sure, you wouldn't want to take
> it if you are hypo.

Very interesting. Dextrosol was the standard paramedic/ 1st aid choice for hypo-glycemia when it was
still available, I've used it as a 1st Aider and on myself when I've gone hypo.

According to the local pharmacist(or one of them, at least) Glucosol is the replacemant product of
choice. I haven't yet heard back from the 1st Aid orgs.