glue for prescription sunglass lens

Res09c5t

Guest
Hi, I've got a pair of prescription sunglasses, plastic
frames, glass lens that I use for cycling. The frame doesn't
seem to retain the lens very well. The lenses are pretty
thick and heavy and can pop out pretty easily when being
cleaned or twisted. I'm thinking some type of glue or
adhesive would help a lot. Any suggestions/experience?

Thanks! Lyle

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:16:18 GMT, "res09c5t"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Hi, I've got a pair of prescription sunglasses, plastic
>frames, glass lens that I use for cycling. The frame
>doesn't seem to retain the lens very well. The lenses are
>pretty thick and heavy and can pop out pretty easily when
>being cleaned or twisted. I'm thinking some type of glue or
>adhesive would help a lot. Any suggestions/experience?

I'd try just a tiny dab of clear epoxy at opposite corners
of each lens; pick the locations that will annoy you least
if it produces any optical artifact. I'd also put a dab both
on the front and rear, to create a small lip of sorts at
that point, so that if the adhesion alose doesn't do the
trick, the epoxy lip may at least help to keep the lens from
popping out. You may have to hit all four corners before you
get a successful result.

If you know someone who has an ultrasonic cleaning bath, let
them run the pair of glasses through it (preferably with the
lenses popped out) to remove all traces of oils before you
try the epoxy.

I'd caution against trying any of this if the lenses are
polarizing, though, since those often have a central layer
that's not too forgiving about exposure to strange chemistry
or aggessive cleaning.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via
e-mail. Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature. Words

"res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I've got a pair of prescription sunglasses, plastic
> frames, glass lens
that
> I use for cycling. The frame doesn't seem to retain the
> lens very well. The lenses are pretty thick and heavy and
> can pop out pretty easily when being cleaned or twisted.
> I'm thinking some type of glue or adhesive
would
> help a lot. Any suggestions/experience?
>
> Thanks! Lyle

I've found that many optical shops happily provide minor
repairs and adjustments at no or little cost. Are your
lenses really "glass"? To improve safety, sports glasses are
usually done in polycarbonate.

On Sun, 23 May 2004 14:47:29 GMT, "rosco"
<reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> may have said:

>I've found that many optical shops happily provide minor
>repairs and adjustments at no or little cost. Are your
>lenses really "glass"? To improve safety, sports glasses
>are usually done in polycarbonate.

Photogrey sunglasses are still glass. The OP didn't specify
if they were photogrey, but I suspect that may be the case.

Plastic frames often have nothing to adjust in the area of
lens grip.

--

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I've found that many optical shops happily provide minor
> >repairs and adjustments at no or little cost. Are your
> >lenses really "glass"? To improve safety, sports glasses
> >are usually done in polycarbonate.

> Photogrey sunglasses are still glass. The OP didn't
> specify if they were photogrey, but I suspect that may be
> the case.

Photochromic lenses are available in plastic as well as
glass, and have been for some years now.

It is becoming more difficult to find an optician who is
willing to make glass lenses, particularly for "rimless"
frames. Too much breakage.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:15:12 GMT, Ted Bennett
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> >I've found that many optical shops happily provide minor
>> >repairs and adjustments at no or little cost. Are your
>> >lenses really "glass"? To improve safety, sports glasses
>> >are usually done in polycarbonate.
>
>> Photogrey sunglasses are still glass. The OP didn't
>> specify if they were photogrey, but I suspect that may be
>> the case.
>
>Photochromic lenses are available in plastic as well as
>glass, and have been for some years now.

Technology marches on, I see. I've always preferred
polarizing sunglasses myself, so this development apparently
slipped by when I wasn't looking.

>It is becoming more difficult to find an optician who is
>willing to make glass lenses, particularly for "rimless"
>frames. Too much breakage.

Not a problem around here in the photogreys at least. I just
checked a couple of ads, and they're available either in
glass or plastic. Rimless frames may or may not be easy to
get. They were scarce in this market the last time I needed
to get a new pair of glasses. Even more so were frames with
a large lens area, which had become nearly nonexistent in
the mass-market optical stores locally at that time. When I
groused that all the frames had small lens areas compared to
my old pair, the opticians at three different stores said
that because small glasses were fashinable, large-lens ones
weren't being kept in stock. I think I shocked one of the
salesdroids when I said "I want glasses to see WITH, not to
be seen in. If you can't supply me with glasses that I find
useful, I'll go where I can get them." They seemed to think
that if they didn't have it, then it didn't exist or didn't
matter. Well, it mattered to me, and I found a place that
understood this.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via
e-mail. Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature. Words
processed in a facility that contains nuts.

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:15:12 GMT, Ted Bennett
> <[email protected]> may have said:
>
> >It is becoming more difficult to find an optician who is
> >willing to make glass lenses, particularly for "rimless"
> >frames. Too much breakage.
>
> Not a problem around here in the photogreys at least. I
> just checked a couple of ads, and they're available either
> in glass or plastic. Rimless frames may or may not be easy
> to get. They were scarce in this market the last time I
> needed to get a new pair of glasses. Even more so were
> frames with a large lens area, which had become nearly
> nonexistent in the mass-market optical stores locally at
> that time. When I groused that all the frames had small
> lens areas compared to my old pair, the opticians at three
> different stores said that because small glasses were
> fashinable, large-lens ones weren't being kept in stock. I
> think I shocked one of the salesdroids when I said "I want
> glasses to see WITH, not to be seen in. If you can't
> supply me with glasses that I find useful, I'll go where I
> can get them." They seemed to think that if they didn't
> have it, then it didn't exist or didn't matter. Well, it
> mattered to me, and I found a place that understood this.

I had the same problem last time I bought glasses. Age
caught up with me, and now use the progressive lenses. The
optician would just show me the few choices available that
were large enough to do a good job with progressives. Even
so, a couple of those few choices were discontinued when it
came down to ordering them. I've heard that the lens
companies have recently responded to the frame market, and
in theory now have progressive lenses that work better with
smaller frames. Don't know if it's true or a bunch of hype.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Hi, I've got a pair of prescription sunglasses, plastic
>frames, glass lens that I use for cycling. The frame
>doesn't seem to retain the lens very well. The lenses are
>pretty thick and heavy and can pop out pretty easily when
>being cleaned or twisted. I'm thinking some type of glue or
>adhesive would help a lot. Any suggestions/experience?

take them back to where you bought them and ask them
to fix them.
Alex

Alex is right. If they're prescription don't screw them up
like I once did. Take them to a glasses place and they can
heat them up to fix the problem. It's usually free if you
take them where you bought them. Peace -

news:[email protected]...