glue for TEMPORARY ergo repair

res09c5t

Guest
Hi,
My wife crashed over the weekend and cracked the body of her ergo shifter.
Any recommendations for a glue to hold this together while I wait for the
new part to get here? This repair will only be temporary but probably needs
to hold up for a week or so until I can get the part ordered and shipped
out.

I'm thinking some kind of epoxy or JB Weld? Superglue probably isn't strong
enough?

Thanks!
Lyle

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> My wife crashed over the weekend and cracked the body of her ergo shifter.
> Any recommendations for a glue to hold this together while I wait for the
> new part to get here? This repair will only be temporary but probably needs
> to hold up for a week or so until I can get the part ordered and shipped
> out.
>
> I'm thinking some kind of epoxy or JB Weld? Superglue probably isn't strong
> enough?
>
> Thanks!
> Lyle

'Superglue' (cyanoacrylate) IS strong enough. But you will probably
have better luck with a 5 minute type or JB Weld (probably your best
choice). Be sure to clamp well after gluing.

Aren't the Campagnolo shifters wonderful? I have smashed up three
bodies now. If I had shimano, it would have cost me two pair of
shifters ($400+ each pair!), but since I have Campy, it was $25 per
body and my labor. Plus, now I can rebuild shifters in my sleep!

D'ohBoy

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> My wife crashed over the weekend and cracked the body of her ergo shifter.
> Any recommendations for a glue to hold this together while I wait for the
> new part to get here? This repair will only be temporary but probably needs
> to hold up for a week or so until I can get the part ordered and shipped
> out.
>
> I'm thinking some kind of epoxy or JB Weld? Superglue probably isn't strong
> enough?
>
> Thanks!
> Lyle

Seems to me the quickest and best way to fix your broken Ergo body,
which I have done after a crash, is to order the part and have it
shipped overnight. You'll have it to use tomorrow. Have your wife
take a rest day from biking today and then go for a ride tomorrow
evening after you replace the Ergo body.

I bought my Ergo body from Branford Bike. About $25. They had it in
stock and could have overnight shipped it. I am sure Vecchios (Peter
Chisholm) has it in stock too and could overnight ship it to you. If
its that important, why wait a week to order and ship it? Or is it
really not so important that you can waste an hour or two or three
monkeying with the repair and waiting a week for the part and then
doing the repair again with the new part? I prefer to do a job once
the right way. Not do it once the wrong way and then do it again later.

"D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> writes:

>res09c5t wrote:
>> Hi,
>> My wife crashed over the weekend and cracked the body of her ergo

>shifter.

>Aren't the Campagnolo shifters wonderful? I have smashed up three
>bodies now.

Maybe the company should rename itself "Crashpagnolo" ?? And their
marketing blitz, "If you're not Crashing, your not worthy of
CRASHPAGNOLO!"

- Don *grin* Gillies
San Diego, CA