Glue on Titanium

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ross, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Ross

    Ross Guest

    Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to stick it
    back on? glue, adhesive etc.

    Thanks!

    Ross

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    I would try a DIY store like Home Depot or Lows and pick-up a tube of caulk that is designed to adhere metal to metal. Of course you will end up with a lot more adhesive than you will need, but the stuff isn't very expensive to begin with.

  3. Wannagofast

    Wannagofast Guest

    Fasttac or rim cement should work

    "Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for
    the
    > best way to stick it back on? glue, adhesive etc.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

  4. Qi

    Qi Guest

    "Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for
    the
    > best way to stick it back on? glue, adhesive etc.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

    Lifetime Guarantee on all Litespeeds

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Ross wrote:

    > Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to stick it
    > back on? glue, adhesive etc.

    3M #114 double sided tape at any Walgreen's

  6. Not knowing that it will stick specifically to titanium, I would try metal epoxy. Epoxy is really
    intense stuff, and I've had great luck with it on several projects bonding random metals together.

    Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

    "Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for
    the
    > best way to stick it back on? glue, adhesive etc.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

  7. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "wannagofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for
    > the
    > > best way to stick it back on? glue, adhesive etc.

    > Fasttac or rim cement should work

    It doesn't. The painter used this to reattach mine after painting, it fell off some time (months)
    later. I'd use RTV (silicone).

  8. ross-<< Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to
    stick it back on? glue, adhesive etc. >><BR><BR>

    These things fall off all the time. Have somebody drill/tap and get some teeny screws and screw it
    in like the one onna MOOTS. For the price of these things, they ought to be on that way anyway.

  9. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    >I would try a DIY store like Home Depot or Lows and pick-up a tube of caulk that is designed to
    >adhere metal to metal. Of course you will end up with a lot more adhesive than you will need, but
    >the stuff isn't very expensive to begin with.

    silicone is great glue for metal to metal and it can be removed if needed.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
    toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  10. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ross-<< Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to
    > stick it back on? glue, adhesive etc. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > These things fall off all the time. Have somebody drill/tap and get some teeny screws and screw it
    > in like the one onna MOOTS. For the price of these things, they ought to be on that way anyway.
    >
    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria

    Add all that road hugging weight to Litespeed ? geez.... Now, the downtube decals smooth the laminar
    flow, you should leave those on.

    Scott Goldsmith Seven w/Paris-Roubaix is much lighter than a D/A group.

  11. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:47:14 GMT, "Ross" <[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to stick it
    >back on? glue, adhesive etc.

    Auto paint and body shops get a really good double-sided flexible adhesive tape that's used for body
    side molding reattachment. You might ride up to one of them, ask and see if they act cooperative.

  12. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 1 Mar 2004 12:56:00 -0800, [email protected] (Scott Goldsmith)
    may have said:

    >[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    >m28.aol.com>...
    >> ross-<< Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to
    >> stick it back on? glue, adhesive etc. >><BR><BR>
    >>
    >> These things fall off all the time. Have somebody drill/tap and get some teeny screws and screw
    >> it in like the one onna MOOTS. For the price of these things, they ought to be on that way
    >> anyway.
    >
    >Add all that road hugging weight to Litespeed ? geez.... Now, the downtube decals smooth the
    >laminar flow, you should leave those on.

    But if they wrap around the tube, they increase the frontal profile. Of course, so does paint.
    And shoes. We need cleat implants so that the shoes can be ditched except for an aero fairing on
    the toes...

  13. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:46:33 GMT, Werehatrack
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:47:14 GMT, "Ross" <[email protected]> may have said:
    >
    >>Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to stick it
    >>back on? glue, adhesive etc.
    >
    >Auto paint and body shops get a really good double-sided flexible adhesive tape that's used for
    >body side molding reattachment. You might ride up to one of them, ask and see if they act
    >cooperative.

    I'll second this. There are some very good tapes out there. Short of bolts, this is your best bet.

  14. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003

    JB Weld available at Home Depot

  15. Epoxy works great for me. completely waterproof, too.

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  16. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:47:14 GMT, "Ross" <[email protected]> may have said:
    >
    > >Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to stick it
    > >back on? glue, adhesive etc.
    >
    > Auto paint and body shops get a really good double-sided flexible adhesive tape that's used for
    > body side molding reattachment. You might ride up to one of them, ask and see if they act
    > cooperative.

    This may be 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double-sided tape. If it is, the specifications are pretty
    spectacular. It's probably not available at Walgreen's... you'll have to get it from an auto-body
    supply store.

    Jeff

  17. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 1 Mar 2004 21:54:24 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) may
    have said:

    >Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:47:14 GMT, "Ross" <[email protected]> may have said:
    >>
    >> >Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for the best way to stick it
    >> >back on? glue, adhesive etc.
    >>
    >> Auto paint and body shops get a really good double-sided flexible adhesive tape that's used for
    >> body side molding reattachment. You might ride up to one of them, ask and see if they act
    >> cooperative.
    >
    >This may be 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double-sided tape. If it is, the specifications are pretty
    >spectacular. It's probably not available at Walgreen's... you'll have to get it from an auto-body
    >supply store.

    That's one of the best. Unless they've started selling smaller rolls, it's not cost-effective to buy
    for this sort of situation...but when all that's needed is a couple of inches, a body shop might
    part with them with a wave.

  18. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > Had the Litespeed badge come off of my headset......any suggestions for
    the
    > best way to stick it back on? glue, adhesive etc.

    You mean you WANT to let everybody know you're riding one of those?!?!?!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  19. MikeYankee

    MikeYankee Guest

    I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned yet that glue dissolves titanium.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  20. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 01 Mar 2004 13:51:57 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >These things fall off all the time. Have somebody drill/tap

    You've never tapped Ti, have you ? Particularly 6/4
    --
    Smert' spamionam