Glue

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Carl Sundquist, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to the frame. It has
    come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/ superglue but it doesn't hold well or
    very long.

    Any suggestions?

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to the frame. It has
    > come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/ superglue but it doesn't hold well or
    > very long.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Your mistake was in trying to glue it to the glasses. Use the superglue to attach it to your nose.

  3. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to the frame. It has
    > come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/ superglue but it doesn't hold well or
    > very long.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Perhaps a careful application of an epoxy would be a better way. I think superglues are too
    brittle. Plus you might end up with a little more surface area with glue on it with epoxy.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "Food plus heat equals cooking"
    Alton Brown

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  4. Carl,

    Howabout buy some new glasses, you cheap-ass retro grouch.

    Thanks, Brian

    > I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to the frame. It has come
    > detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on
    w/
    > superglue but it doesn't hold well or very long.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  5. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    these other guys are clueless when it comes to advice expected of this highly esteemed site.

    use JB weld and smear it all over your face and lose the nose piece. apply some to the glasses frame
    and then stick to face. it will double as sunblock for those dangerous UV rays.

    jtn Optomitrist to the Stars

    > I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to the frame. It has come
    > detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on
    w/
    > superglue but it doesn't hold well or very long.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  6. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to the frame. It has
    > come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/ superglue but it doesn't hold well or
    > very long.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    If the nosepeice is 'rubbery' you might try some barge cement. You can get it at any shoe repair
    place or good hardware.

  7. "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > If the nosepeice is 'rubbery' you might try some barge cement. You can get it at any shoe repair
    > place or good hardware.

    I think I have tried Barge Cement at one point and it didn't work. Maybe the epoxy will. I think the
    problem is the nosepiece is probably some of that hydrophilic (hope that isn't a marketing ploy)
    rubber and it seems to be glue-o-philic, too.

  8. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to the frame. It has
    > come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/ superglue but it doesn't hold well or
    > very long.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Yes.

    Buy a new pair of sunglasses.

  9. Matt C

    Matt C Guest

    Carl,

    Clean off whatever glues you have tried and use an RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) adhesive
    such as ShooGoo, Goop or Zap a Dap a Doo. This works very well for glueing nose pieces back on and
    for creating new ones.

    Matt

    news:[email protected]...

  10. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to the frame. It has
    > come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/ superglue but it doesn't hold well or
    > very long.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    tubular glue. it works on many things that superglue and epoxy won't.

    jason

  11. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    Maybe you can send them back to Arnette for repair? Oakley's got a good repair policy, for example.
    (BTW, this belongs on rec.sunglasses.tech. Where's Ken when you need him?)

    JF

    > "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > If the nosepeice is 'rubbery' you might try some barge cement. You can get it at any shoe repair
    > > place or good hardware.
    >
    > I think I have tried Barge Cement at one point and it didn't work. Maybe
    the
    > epoxy will. I think the problem is the nosepiece is probably some of that hydrophilic (hope that
    > isn't a marketing ploy) rubber and it seems to be glue-o-philic, too.

  12. "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Maybe you can send them back to Arnette for repair? Oakley's got a good repair policy, for
    > example. (BTW, this belongs on rec.sunglasses.tech. Where's Ken when you need him?)

    This shouldn't be a repair that merits a return to the manufacturer. I'm going to try the RTV/Shoe
    Goo stuff.

    You're right though, I should have posted on a different newsgroup, but it should have been
    rec.shitthatsomepeoplethinkisdisposablebutshouldn'tbe.tech

  13. Greg Hall

    Greg Hall Guest

  14. Matt C

    Matt C Guest

    Carl,

    Put a thin layer on both surfaces and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before putting them together.

    Matt

    > "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > Maybe you can send them back to Arnette for repair? Oakley's got a good repair policy, for
    > > example. (BTW, this belongs on rec.sunglasses.tech. Where's Ken when you need him?)
    > >

    > This shouldn't be a repair that merits a return to the manufacturer. I'm going to try the RTV/Shoe
    > Goo stuff.
    >
    > You're right though, I should have posted on a different newsgroup, but it should have been
    rec.shitthatsomepeoplethinkisdisposablebutshouldn'tbe.tech

  15. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
    > You're right though, I should have posted on a different newsgroup, but it should have been
    > rec.shitthatsomepeoplethinkisdisposablebutshouldn'tbe.tech

    Confused and seeking help, he turns to his friends at the virtual palace. But they are false
    friends, and return nothing but abuse and scorn, calling him "Dumbass".

    In a rage he turns off the computer and sings "Lafferty ? una merda stupid". Later he joins Pappy,
    Righello Supremo, for a rousing duet, "LANCE, il re".

    That's what I have as a start. We still need a love interest. This being an opera set in Arkansas it
    would work out OK if she were a little on the heavy side.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  16. Greg Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Any suggestions?

    > Shoe GOO. The packaging says 'better than glue'.

    Plus, you can you it to build up the heel pieces of your old, "broken-in" Sidis when they wear down.

    Not that the rest of us, Carl's false friends, ever have to do that, what with our fattie masters
    sponsorship deals.

  17. On 02/29/2004 08:27 PM, in article [email protected], "Bob
    Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> You're right though, I should have posted on a different newsgroup, but it should have been
    >> rec.shitthatsomepeoplethinkisdisposablebutshouldn'tbe.tech
    >
    > Confused and seeking help, he turns to his friends at the virtual palace. But they are false
    > friends, and return nothing but abuse and scorn, calling him "Dumbass".
    >
    > In a rage he turns off the computer and sings "Lafferty ? una merda stupid". Later he joins Pappy,
    > Righello Supremo, for a rousing duet, "LANCE, il re".
    >
    > That's what I have as a start. We still need a love interest. This being an opera set in Arkansas
    > it would work out OK if she were a little on the heavy side.

    And a close relative.

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  18. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <BC681C45.2579D%[email protected]>,
    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 02/29/2004 08:27 PM, in article [email protected], "Bob Schwartz"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> You're right though, I should have posted on a different newsgroup, but it should have been
    > >> rec.shitthatsomepeoplethinkisdisposablebutshouldn'tbe.tech
    > >
    > > Confused and seeking help, he turns to his friends at the virtual palace. But they are false
    > > friends, and return nothing but abuse and scorn, calling him "Dumbass".
    > >
    > > In a rage he turns off the computer and sings "Lafferty ? una merda stupid". Later he joins
    > > Pappy, Righello Supremo, for a rousing duet, "LANCE, il re".
    > >
    > > That's what I have as a start. We still need a love interest. This being an opera set in
    > > Arkansas it would work out OK if she were a little on the heavy side.
    >

    > And a close relative.

    This close?

    "She's my sister." (smack!) "She's my daughter!" (smack!!) "OK, she's my sister -and- my
    daughter!!!"

    (Faye Dunaway in "Chinatown")

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "Food plus heat equals cooking"
    Alton Brown

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  19. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  20. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Howard Kveck wrote:
    >
    > > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> And a close relative.
    > >
    > > This close?
    > >
    > > "She's my sister." (smack!) "She's my daughter!" (smack!!) "OK, she's my sister -and- my
    > > daughter!!!"
    > >
    > > (Faye Dunaway in "Chinatown")
    >
    > http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/incest/lv18_07.html

    I guess we'll be seeing a lot of this one from you, eh??? Nice...

    I notice in the last frame, it looks like the Village People are watching.