Gluing Tubular Tyre Onto Carbon Rim - Problem.



pistole

New Member
May 11, 2007
240
0
0
- hi.

- have a new pair of DuraAce C50 carbon tubular wheels.

- did the gluing according to the park too guide (very good guide) :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=tubular

- but encountered this problem :

- had to remove one tyre to re-do because the alignment of the tyre vis rim was out. When I pull the tyre off , it took off ALL the glue which had been applied to the rim. The rim looked new again. No residue at all on the rim.

- is this how its supposed to be ?

- does contact-adhesive not adhere to carbon rims ? Or do i have to prep the carbon rim with sandpaper or something like that ? I did not sand it at all, but made sure that it was clean.

- has anyone with experience with gluing tubulars onto carbon rims please help ?

.

subnote : applying the glue is easy. Mounting the tyre is okay. But aligning the tyre vis the rim is a total beetch. My thumbs still have no feeling ....

- that and the front tyre was very irritating. It refused to glue up evenly and as i rode it for the first time , there was the 'smack-smack-smack' sound of the offending portion of the tyre intermittenly getting stuck , letting go and then getting stuck again ... drove me just shy of the madhouse .. re-gluing it did the job though .... but I sacrificed my thumbs in the bloody process.

- and I now understand why gluing tubulars is something of a rite-of-passage for 'serious' cyclists. You cannot say that you know a bicycle until you've glued a tubular , successfully.
.

cheers.

.
 

mydbrx2

New Member
Sep 1, 2006
26
0
0
I use the double sided tape system. Simple clean the rim,peel of ONE side of the tape and apply it to the rim, pull alittle of the other side backing off to the side, stretch tire over will and align. Then simply start pulling the rest of the tape off, air up and ride away.
pistole said:
- hi.

- have a new pair of DuraAce C50 carbon tubular wheels.

- did the gluing according to the park too guide (very good guide) :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=tubular

- but encountered this problem :

- had to remove one tyre to re-do because the alignment of the tyre vis rim was out. When I pull the tyre off , it took off ALL the glue which had been applied to the rim. The rim looked new again. No residue at all on the rim.

- is this how its supposed to be ?

- does contact-adhesive not adhere to carbon rims ? Or do i have to prep the carbon rim with sandpaper or something like that ? I did not sand it at all, but made sure that it was clean.

- has anyone with experience with gluing tubulars onto carbon rims please help ?

.

subnote : applying the glue is easy. Mounting the tyre is okay. But aligning the tyre vis the rim is a total beetch. My thumbs still have no feeling ....

- that and the front tyre was very irritating. It refused to glue up evenly and as i rode it for the first time , there was the 'smack-smack-smack' sound of the offending portion of the tyre intermittenly getting stuck , letting go and then getting stuck again ... drove me just shy of the madhouse .. re-gluing it did the job though .... but I sacrificed my thumbs in the bloody process.

- and I now understand why gluing tubulars is something of a rite-of-passage for 'serious' cyclists. You cannot say that you know a bicycle until you've glued a tubular , successfully.
.

cheers.

.
 

pistole

New Member
May 11, 2007
240
0
0
- its the TUFO tape , that you're using ?

- I'm using generic contact-adhesive.

.
 

kdelong

Well-Known Member
Dec 14, 2006
3,477
134
48
This, along with a touch of arthritis in my thumbs, is the reason I use clinchers. I thought that with all of the advances made in clincher technology, tubulars would become a thing of the past. I never glued any on a carbon rim, but you can probably contact the rim manufacturer and get some guidelines from them. I vaguely remember something about roughing them up with sandpaper, but please don't trust my poor memory over another source of information:confused: !
 

ToffoIsMe

New Member
Aug 19, 2005
385
2
0
33
Did you stretch the tire for at least 24 hours prior to glueing? Makes it much easier.
 

pistole

New Member
May 11, 2007
240
0
0
kdelong said:
This, along with a touch of arthritis in my thumbs, is the reason I use clinchers. I thought that with all of the advances made in clincher technology, tubulars would become a thing of the past. I never glued any on a carbon rim, but you can probably contact the rim manufacturer and get some guidelines from them. I vaguely remember something about roughing them up with sandpaper, but please don't trust my poor memory over another source of information:confused: !
these are full carbon tubular rims.

all my other bikes are running clinchers .... or so my thumbs tell me ...

yes , high end clinchers are v. good (am using ProRace2 on all of the others now)

I didn't rough up the rims (as no where is it mentioned that I should) ...

.
 

pistole

New Member
May 11, 2007
240
0
0
ToffoIsMe said:
Did you stretch the tire for at least 24 hours prior to glueing? Makes it much easier.

- hi.

- yes , I did.

- made the mounting much much easier.

- I shudder at how it would have been (with glue and all) , if I didn't
pre-stretch them first ...

haha.

.
 

Tim Lamkin

New Member
Oct 17, 2005
646
0
0
I have been using Tufo Tape for four years now and will never go back to glue, it is very good and easy to use.
 

JohnO

New Member
Jul 5, 2003
1,495
0
0
You need to rough up the surface of the rim where the tire will be glued. Otherwise, the glue won't stick very well. 600 grit sandpaper, very lightly sanded.