Glycogen depletion: What's happening?

An old Guy said:
I am going to butt in here and make a comment. When riders around here do group rides of 100-200 miles 600+cal/hr, everyone eats a lot - much more than 300cal/hr. I currently drink 880cals every 2 hours. When I was young, I would drink 44 pop (lot of sugar calories) and a 250cal candy bar every 2 hours - during a 5 minute stop. I have been away from sugar too long and cannot handle that much sugar. I suspect you can train your body to handle anything. Most of this 300cal limit comes from looking at people who are not trained to eat food and ride.
Evidence, please, although it should be noted evidence is something you almost never Aricept Guy.

I guess I'm like a lot of people... I struggle to both eat and drink when I ride. It's not the action as much as it is "forced memory". I have a 72 mile race this weekend. I'm going to try a GU pack every half hour, a honey waffle at 20, 40 and 60 and see how that goes. No stops in the race so I'm not sure if I should just do water in 2 bottles or water in one and sport mix in the other.
Any thoughts on that?

wbkski said:
I guess I'm like a lot of people... I struggle to both eat and drink when I ride.  It's not the action as much as it is "forced memory".   I have a 72 mile race this weekend.  I'm going to try a GU pack every half hour, a honey waffle at 20, 40 and 60 and see how that goes.   No stops in the race so I'm not sure if I should just do water in 2 bottles or water in one and sport mix in the other.  Any thoughts on that?
Yes. Carry a third bottle.

Personally, I'm used to Gatorade, so that's what I drink. Water occupies space and makes it harder to consume enough calories on long rides, whereas Gatorade has 50 cal/8 oz. If you drink 1 quart per hour, you're getting 200 cal/hr right there. An additional 50-100 calories in solid food isn't that bad then. On 50-mile-plus rides, I'll stop for a pretty big lunch and give it time to settle before I start out again (or head out at a lesser pace to give it time to digest).

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Personally, I'm used to Gatorade, so that's what I drink. Water occupies space and makes it harder to consume enough calories on long rides, whereas Gatorade has 50 cal/8 oz. If you drink 1 quart per hour, you're getting 200 cal/hr right there. An additional 50-100 calories in solid food isn't that bad then. On 50-mile-plus rides, I'll stop for a pretty big lunch and give it time to settle before I start out again (or head out at a lesser pace to give it time to digest).
Great idea...thanks Jason.