Glycogen replacement vs. workout duration/intensity

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by toadpalmer, Dec 16, 2003.

1. toadpalmer

toadpalmer New Member

Howdy all,

Apologize in advance for what may be a naive posting....

I have found lots of information about post-ride glycogen replacement, but nothing that suggests that recovery carbo intake depends on workout duration or intensity. Are a 45-minute ride and a 5-hour ride treated the same way with respect to glycogen replacement (e.g., 3-6 grams per kg. body weight, high glycemic, eat within the optimal "window", etc.), or are there limits? Given that muscles can only store so much glycogen, is it the case that the goal is just to replenish that amount within the "window", irrespective of workout duration or intensity?

Thanks much for any/all input...

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Glycogen depletion is reletive to both intensity and duration. You will need to adjust your diet accordingly (eat more carbs on 'big days' than you do on 'lesser days'). There is a limit to how much carbs can be eaten and it is also difficult to quantify the level of glycogen depletion. So make the most of the 'window' and then keep consuming carbs following that.

3. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Obviously you have to eat more throughout the day on a 'big' day, but there is a limit to what your body can process from one meal in a reasonable amount of time which is where the guidelines for recovery meals come from. I think you also need to make sure glycogen doesn't get too low during exercise. Normal recomendation would be 0.6-1.2g grams of carb (other than galactose lactose or fructose - others are fine) per kilo body mass. Admittedly, 0.6-1.2g is a fairly big variation - it's because different people can utilise energy from carbs at a different rate. I tend towards the upper side. Can't hurt can it?