GM Diet program

Firstly, don't trust anything Indians or GM tell you. They're the two
most devious conglomerations on the planet.

Secondly, if you lose 10-17 pounds in a week without losing massive
amounts of muscle and water one of two things have happened:

(1) You have discovered the "miracle" diet or
(2) You just crapped all your internal organs over your couch as you
were stuffing yourself full of bananas and milk and watching reruns of
MacGyver

It's not a healthy way to diet. Take the word DIET out of our
Vocabulary and think Healthy Eating. The only way to lose weight is to
use small portions and a well balanced diet daily with adding 30-60
minutes a day of some kind of exercise. Walking coupled with a couple
of days of extra exercise like strength training or toning exercises.
My Dr. who is in his late fifties is slim and says eat Green leafy
vegatables with lean meats. Make sure you get fiber in there too.
When you follow a diet that you can't eat that way for the rest of your
life then it's not a good way to lose with.

"happycamper722" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's not a healthy way to diet. Take the word DIET out of our
> Vocabulary and think Healthy Eating. The only way to lose weight is to
> use small portions and a well balanced diet daily with adding 30-60
> minutes a day of some kind of exercise. Walking coupled with a couple
> of days of extra exercise like strength training or toning exercises.
> My Dr. who is in his late fifties is slim and says eat Green leafy
> vegatables with lean meats. Make sure you get fiber in there too.
> When you follow a diet that you can't eat that way for the rest of your
> life then it's not a good way to lose with.

True, very true. The word "diet" implies a temporary change in eating
habits. What is necessary is to change those habits for the rest of your
life. Fruits and vegetables, a little whole grain, lean chicken and fish.
It's a two-step process: first, change the foods, then change the amount.

Cutting down the quantity of food is extremely important and very difficult
for most people, since we live in an environment of so much cheap, tasty,
heavily-promoted but bad food. Most of us are thinking, "How much can I eat
and still lose weight?" when a better question is, "How little can I eat and
stay healthy?"

Aerobic exercise keeps you heart-healthy and resistance exercise keeps you
strong. But restricting calories is #1. If you are eating so many calories
that you have to "burn off" some of them just to keep from getting fat, then
you need to eat fewer calories. The "burn it off" strategy doesn't work
very well, anyway. The calories you burn up in an hour of exercise you can
eat right back on in about a minute.

mack
austin

"happycamper722" <[email protected]> wrote
> It's not a healthy way to diet. Take the word DIET out of our
> Vocabulary and think Healthy Eating. The only way to lose weight is to
> use small portions and a well balanced diet daily with adding 30-60
> minutes a day of some kind of exercise.

The "only" way, huh? No other way of losing weight would work?

You ever hear the expression "ignorance is bliss"? Now we know why you are
'happycamper".

David

"happycamper722" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It's not a healthy way to diet. Take the word DIET out of our
> Vocabulary and think Healthy Eating. The only way to lose weight is to
> use small portions and a well balanced diet daily with adding 30-60
> minutes a day of some kind of exercise. Walking coupled with a couple
> of days of extra exercise like strength training or toning exercises.
> My Dr. who is in his late fifties is slim and says eat Green leafy
> vegatables with lean meats. Make sure you get fiber in there too.
> When you follow a diet that you can't eat that way for the rest of your
> life then it's not a good way to lose with.

AMEN!

All diets fail when they end.
Only a *permanent* lifestyle change works.

"rick++" <[email protected]> wrote
> All diets fail when they end.
> Only a *permanent* lifestyle change works.

I don't see "alt.soc.absolutes.morons" in the headers.

"All" diets fail when they end? So if I go on a ________ diet, and when I
reach my goal, switch back to maintenance calories, the diet fails?

If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
won't "work"?

Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

David

David Cohen wrote:

> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
>
> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

elzinator wrote:
> David Cohen wrote:
>
> > Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
> >
> > Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

> Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time

I'm
> there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
> And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

Not...The Black Ninja Horses?!?! Nooooooo!!!!!!!

"elzinator" <[email protected]> wrote
> David Cohen wrote:
>
>> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
>>
>> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

> Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
> there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
> And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

Aw, gee, threats from an anonymous Hotmail poster.

<running away, screaming like a girl>

David

In article <[email protected]>,
elzinator <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Cohen wrote:
>
>> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
>>
>> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

>Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
>there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
>And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

What part of "anonymous" don't you understand?

Seth
--
This is mfw, nobody wants to raise the quality of the
discourse. -- Lyle McDonald

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:29:22 GMT, David Cohen wrote:

>"elzinator" <[email protected]> wrote
>> David Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
>>>
>>> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

>> Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
>> there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
>> And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

>Aw, gee, threats from an anonymous Hotmail poster.
>
><running away, screaming like a girl>

Yes, I could see you doing that...... ;)

------------------------------
Reality is an illusion created by an intelligence deficiency.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:27:30 +0000 (UTC), Seth Breidbart wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>,
>elzinator <[email protected]> wrote:
>>David Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
>>>
>>> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

>>Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
>>there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
>>And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

>What part of "anonymous" don't you understand?

Hmmm...... the 'mouse' part?

------------------------------

[email protected] (Martin Bakalorz) wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:17:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
>>of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
>>won't "work"?
>>
>>Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

><Nit pick>
>No it won't work,
>At first you are at maintenance calories.
>After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
>calories are lower.
>If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
>asymptotically regain to your former weight.
></nit pick>
>
>Just had to defend hotmail posters.

[a] People don't "change lifestyles" because someone tells them to do
it. Immediate fat loss results can be a major motivation.

A "lifestyle change" won't affect some things, like reduced levels
of circulating leptin due to decreases in adipose mass, so "changing
your lifestyle" is not assured to be a permanent solution.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

<[email protected]> wrote:

>If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
>of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
>won't "work"?
>
>Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

<Nit pick>
No it won't work,
At first you are at maintenance calories.
After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
calories are lower.
If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
asymptotically regain to your former weight.
</nit pick>

Just had to defend hotmail posters.

Martin

[email protected] wrote:
> http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html
>
> I just came across this diet program. What do you guys think?
>
> thanks

This is just the same old "cabbage soup" diet that as been around for a
long time. Every few years the attribution of its origin changes.
Sometimes it is a hospital, this time it is (somewhat oddly) General
Motors. I doubt very very much this has anything to do with GM.
Do a google search for "cabbage soup diet" and you'll get a lot of
reproductions of this in only slightly varying forms.
Is it effective? Well, probably, then again following the diet tricks of
italian supermodels is far from healthy. I mean, if you were told that
heavy tobacco use suppressed the appetite and stimulated your
metabolism(it does, actually) would you take up smoking?

First of all..... If people could just cut back or limit their intake
obviously they would lose weight. The problem is that most overweight
people, if not all, are having a psychological problem(s) which makes them
compulsive eaters. Sometimes starting a "new" diet will give them a mental
boost that they need to start losing weight. As they lose weight their
mental outlook gets better and this snowballs into a good amount of weight
lose. I am sure that most all diets, including this one, are not good over
the long term..... But, it may be the diet that triggers something in
certain people to take the plunge in losing weight. I would say that most
overweight people are at much more of a risk of health problems if they
don't lose the weight than if they get on a diet....so why not try a
temporary diet. Actually this diet does have some pretty good food groups
in it with the veggies and fruit. I would say that this diet is probably
better than most of the other wacko diets out there and could be beneficial
over the short run.
-just my $.02 of course.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html
>
> I just came across this diet program. What do you guys think?
>
> thanks

"Martin Bakalorz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:17:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
>>of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
>>won't "work"?
>>
>>Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

> <Nit pick>
> No it won't work,
> At first you are at maintenance calories.
> After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
> calories are lower.
> If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
> asymptotically regain to your former weight.

Not only would he gain the weight back (assuming no eating-habit changes)
but he would gain it back in different places, since some of his old fat
cell storage areas had been liposuctioned away. Depending on how much fat
was lipoed off, the new fat might show up in some pretty weird spots.

I once asked a plastic surgeon I knew if a woman could enlarge her breasts
by having fat lipoed away from all over her body except for her breasts and
then eat to gain weight again. He said, "Sure, in theory at least, that
would work."

mack
austin