GM Diet program

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Tags:

  2. tabber

    tabber Guest

    Firstly, don't trust anything Indians or GM tell you. They're the two
    most devious conglomerations on the planet.

    Secondly, if you lose 10-17 pounds in a week without losing massive
    amounts of muscle and water one of two things have happened:

    (1) You have discovered the "miracle" diet or
    (2) You just crapped all your internal organs over your couch as you
    were stuffing yourself full of bananas and milk and watching reruns of
    MacGyver

  3. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    <rag[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html
    >
    > I just came across this diet program. What do you guys think?
    >
    > thanks

    The author forgot to mention that you are allowed unlimited ice-cream at all
    times, because heating up the ice-cream uses more calories than you get from
    eating it.

    But otherwise it's excellent - especially 'if you have beer, drink only beer
    that day'...

    Peter

  4. It's not a healthy way to diet. Take the word DIET out of our
    Vocabulary and think Healthy Eating. The only way to lose weight is to
    use small portions and a well balanced diet daily with adding 30-60
    minutes a day of some kind of exercise. Walking coupled with a couple
    of days of extra exercise like strength training or toning exercises.
    My Dr. who is in his late fifties is slim and says eat Green leafy
    vegatables with lean meats. Make sure you get fiber in there too.
    When you follow a diet that you can't eat that way for the rest of your
    life then it's not a good way to lose with.

  5. "happycamper722" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It's not a healthy way to diet. Take the word DIET out of our
    > Vocabulary and think Healthy Eating. The only way to lose weight is to
    > use small portions and a well balanced diet daily with adding 30-60
    > minutes a day of some kind of exercise. Walking coupled with a couple
    > of days of extra exercise like strength training or toning exercises.
    > My Dr. who is in his late fifties is slim and says eat Green leafy
    > vegatables with lean meats. Make sure you get fiber in there too.
    > When you follow a diet that you can't eat that way for the rest of your
    > life then it's not a good way to lose with.

    True, very true. The word "diet" implies a temporary change in eating
    habits. What is necessary is to change those habits for the rest of your
    life. Fruits and vegetables, a little whole grain, lean chicken and fish.
    It's a two-step process: first, change the foods, then change the amount.

    Cutting down the quantity of food is extremely important and very difficult
    for most people, since we live in an environment of so much cheap, tasty,
    heavily-promoted but bad food. Most of us are thinking, "How much can I eat
    and still lose weight?" when a better question is, "How little can I eat and
    stay healthy?"

    Aerobic exercise keeps you heart-healthy and resistance exercise keeps you
    strong. But restricting calories is #1. If you are eating so many calories
    that you have to "burn off" some of them just to keep from getting fat, then
    you need to eat fewer calories. The "burn it off" strategy doesn't work
    very well, anyway. The calories you burn up in an hour of exercise you can
    eat right back on in about a minute.

    mack
    austin

  6. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "happycamper722" <[email protected]> wrote
    > It's not a healthy way to diet. Take the word DIET out of our
    > Vocabulary and think Healthy Eating. The only way to lose weight is to
    > use small portions and a well balanced diet daily with adding 30-60
    > minutes a day of some kind of exercise.

    The "only" way, huh? No other way of losing weight would work?

    You ever hear the expression "ignorance is bliss"? Now we know why you are
    'happycamper".

    David

  7. hellrazor

    hellrazor Guest

    "happycamper722" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > It's not a healthy way to diet. Take the word DIET out of our
    > Vocabulary and think Healthy Eating. The only way to lose weight is to
    > use small portions and a well balanced diet daily with adding 30-60
    > minutes a day of some kind of exercise. Walking coupled with a couple
    > of days of extra exercise like strength training or toning exercises.
    > My Dr. who is in his late fifties is slim and says eat Green leafy
    > vegatables with lean meats. Make sure you get fiber in there too.
    > When you follow a diet that you can't eat that way for the rest of your
    > life then it's not a good way to lose with.

    AMEN!

  8. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    All diets fail when they end.
    Only a *permanent* lifestyle change works.

  9. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "rick++" <[email protected]> wrote
    > All diets fail when they end.
    > Only a *permanent* lifestyle change works.

    I don't see "alt.soc.absolutes.morons" in the headers.

    "All" diets fail when they end? So if I go on a ________ diet, and when I
    reach my goal, switch back to maintenance calories, the diet fails?

    If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
    of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
    won't "work"?

    Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

    Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

    David

  10. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    David Cohen wrote:

    > Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
    >
    > Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

    Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
    there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
    And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

  11. tabber

    tabber Guest

    elzinator wrote:
    > David Cohen wrote:
    >
    > > Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
    > >
    > > Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

    > Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time

    I'm
    > there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
    > And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

    Not...The Black Ninja Horses?!?! Nooooooo!!!!!!!

  12. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "elzinator" <[email protected]> wrote
    > David Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
    >>
    >> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

    > Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
    > there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
    > And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

    Aw, gee, threats from an anonymous Hotmail poster.

    <running away, screaming like a girl>

    David

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    elzinator <[email protected]> wrote:
    >David Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
    >>
    >> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

    >Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
    >there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
    >And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

    What part of "anonymous" don't you understand?

    Seth
    --
    This is mfw, nobody wants to raise the quality of the
    discourse. -- Lyle McDonald

  14. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:29:22 GMT, David Cohen wrote:

    >"elzinator" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> David Cohen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
    >>>
    >>> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

    >> Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
    >> there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
    >> And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

    >Aw, gee, threats from an anonymous Hotmail poster.
    >
    ><running away, screaming like a girl>

    Yes, I could see you doing that...... ;)

    ------------------------------
    Reality is an illusion created by an intelligence deficiency.

  15. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:27:30 +0000 (UTC), Seth Breidbart wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >elzinator <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>David Cohen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.
    >>>
    >>> Gee, I guess some absolutes are true.

    >>Hey! You better retract that or I'll have to kill you the next time I'm
    >>there and feed you to your dogs (after I stuff you with carrots).
    >>And I'll sick the black ninja horses on you.

    >What part of "anonymous" don't you understand?

    Hmmm...... the 'mouse' part?

    ------------------------------
    Reality is an illusion created by an intelligence deficiency.

  16. JMW

    JMW Guest

    [email protected] (Martin Bakalorz) wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:17:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
    >>of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
    >>won't "work"?
    >>
    >>Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

    ><Nit pick>
    >No it won't work,
    >At first you are at maintenance calories.
    >After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
    >calories are lower.
    >If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
    >asymptotically regain to your former weight.
    ></nit pick>
    >
    >Just had to defend hotmail posters.

    [a] People don't "change lifestyles" because someone tells them to do
    it. Immediate fat loss results can be a major motivation.

    A "lifestyle change" won't affect some things, like reduced levels
    of circulating leptin due to decreases in adipose mass, so "changing
    your lifestyle" is not assured to be a permanent solution.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  17. On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:17:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
    >of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
    >won't "work"?
    >
    >Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

    <Nit pick>
    No it won't work,
    At first you are at maintenance calories.
    After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
    calories are lower.
    If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
    asymptotically regain to your former weight.
    </nit pick>

    Just had to defend hotmail posters.

    Martin

  18. The Gist

    The Gist Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html
    >
    > I just came across this diet program. What do you guys think?
    >
    > thanks

    This is just the same old "cabbage soup" diet that as been around for a
    long time. Every few years the attribution of its origin changes.
    Sometimes it is a hospital, this time it is (somewhat oddly) General
    Motors. I doubt very very much this has anything to do with GM.
    Do a google search for "cabbage soup diet" and you'll get a lot of
    reproductions of this in only slightly varying forms.
    Is it effective? Well, probably, then again following the diet tricks of
    italian supermodels is far from healthy. I mean, if you were told that
    heavy tobacco use suppressed the appetite and stimulated your
    metabolism(it does, actually) would you take up smoking?

  19. buck

    buck Guest

    First of all..... If people could just cut back or limit their intake
    obviously they would lose weight. The problem is that most overweight
    people, if not all, are having a psychological problem(s) which makes them
    compulsive eaters. Sometimes starting a "new" diet will give them a mental
    boost that they need to start losing weight. As they lose weight their
    mental outlook gets better and this snowballs into a good amount of weight
    lose. I am sure that most all diets, including this one, are not good over
    the long term..... But, it may be the diet that triggers something in
    certain people to take the plunge in losing weight. I would say that most
    overweight people are at much more of a risk of health problems if they
    don't lose the weight than if they get on a diet....so why not try a
    temporary diet. Actually this diet does have some pretty good food groups
    in it with the veggies and fruit. I would say that this diet is probably
    better than most of the other wacko diets out there and could be beneficial
    over the short run.
    -just my $.02 of course.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html
    >
    > I just came across this diet program. What do you guys think?
    >
    > thanks

  20. "Martin Bakalorz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:17:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>If I am 20 pounds overweight, am stable at that weight, and have 20 pounds
    >>of fat liposuctioned off, and do not change my "lifestyle" in any way, it
    >>won't "work"?
    >>
    >>Anonymous Hotmail posters are always morons.

    > <Nit pick>
    > No it won't work,
    > At first you are at maintenance calories.
    > After the Lipo you have 20 lbs of fat less to support, so maintenance
    > calories are lower.
    > If you don't change your lifestyle in any way you will slowly
    > asymptotically regain to your former weight.

    Not only would he gain the weight back (assuming no eating-habit changes)
    but he would gain it back in different places, since some of his old fat
    cell storage areas had been liposuctioned away. Depending on how much fat
    was lipoed off, the new fat might show up in some pretty weird spots.

    I once asked a plastic surgeon I knew if a woman could enlarge her breasts
    by having fat lipoed away from all over her body except for her breasts and
    then eat to gain weight again. He said, "Sure, in theory at least, that
    would work."

    mack
    austin