gmc denali commuter

e0richt

Jul 10, 2006
well, I have decided to start logging some commuting mileage on my GMC Denali. It seems a bit slower than my other bike, but that might be due to getting the right adjustments. I found that I had to raise the seat substantially which seemed to help. I don't have the stats on my last ride, but it was an 8 mile trip with a total of 36 miles on it so far.

I have modified it a bit: I put on a cheapo cycle computer, stem extension (which I do on all my bikes for comfort reasons) and pedals. Everything else is stock.

I am planning to get a rear bike rack so that I can use some sort of bag system rather than using a backpack...

I own the same bike. I think one reason for the speed loss is that the denali has mountainbike gearing. But that does make hills easier. Let us know how it goes, seems to be alot of denali riders popping up myself included. Mine is stock but for the rear derailer which is now shimano tourney after a decent crash.

n2t said:
I own the same bike. I think one reason for the speed loss is that the denali has mountainbike gearing. But that does make hills easier. Let us know how it goes, seems to be alot of denali riders popping up myself included. Mine is stock but for the rear derailer which is now shimano tourney after a decent crash.
ok, but also post about your experiences and how much you mileage you have put on the bike.

Had zero parts malfunctions, did have a hard crash that obliterated the rear derailer and caused a small rip in the seat. I have around 150 miles on it. I know of another owner that has over 4k on his. I'm using the schwin light I got for 9.99 at walmart, it eats batteries and isn't that bright so I'm not to impressed however the tail light seems to work very well. I'm going to upgrade the front light to a pair of smaller lights that take AAA batteries, buy a recharger and then be able to have new batteries in all of my lights daily. I wish there was more room on the handlebars but I tend to ride in the drops or right on the edge so not a huge concern and the grip shifters are actualy not to bad. I don't know about replacing the seat, it's actualy rather comfortable which is surprising. The breaks lack stopping power when wet but are doable so I'll keep them till they die. To be honest there isn't much on the bike that I find fataly flawed.

n2t said:
I wish there was more room on the handlebars but I tend to ride in the drops or right on the edge so not a huge concern and the grip shifters are actualy not to bad.
yeah, I bought it with the idea that if I really hated the grip shifters, I could always get a set of friction stem shifters from a donor bike.

N2T said:
I don't know about replacing the seat, it's actualy rather comfortable which is surprising.
I have to agree with you there. It is surprising that it is comfortable... I just wonder about its life span...

pretty good life span mine got ripped when I crashed and Kent is sending me a replacement for the cost of shipping.

well, I tried pumping up the tires to around 100 and that does help (though I still cant seem to get the same speed as my other road bike...) but at least its getting dialed in to me and I have about 56 miles on it now.

It seems that the sweet spot gear for me is L2xR6-R7. Unfortunately, that does cause some "rattling" noise (but to be fair, it was the same with my Trek 7100...).

With mountain bike gearing that it has I bet that is somewhat of a speed robber, I wish I knew what the true diff was. Kent claimed the only diff between it and a true road bike was the granny gear but I doubt that. Does make for a good comuting bike though as it rides hills very well.

n2t said:
With mountain bike gearing that it has I bet that is somewhat of a speed robber, I wish I knew what the true diff was. Kent claimed the only diff between it and a true road bike was the granny gear but I doubt that. Does make for a good comuting bike though as it rides hills very well.
well, it has a "touring" configuration which means it has the eyelets for haning a rack for panniers. and another thing (which from what I gather is uncool) is that it has a chaing guard so that my pants don't get greasy... which my other bike doesn't have and I have to hike the pant leg up the keep it clean.

doesn't work, my right leg has grease stains. I hear alot is uncool, walmart bikes, chain guards, dork disks, and grifters, and mountain bike derailers, and shimano tourney, all this stuff is uncool. But you know what it gets me to work and back daily so I'll just laugh it off.

n2t said:
doesn't work, my right leg has grease stains. I hear alot is uncool, walmart bikes, chain guards, dork disks, and grifters, and mountain bike derailers, and shimano tourney, all this stuff is uncool. But you know what it gets me to work and back daily so I'll just laugh it off.
really? I use a strap and I haven't had a problem (of course its still early yet)... I use a strap riding my other bike and I still end up with grease stains...