GMC Denali?

mopar

Jan 21, 2006
I found one of these at Wal-Mart, what do I need to know? I've got to work my budget to it though.

Gear ratios:
Air pressure:
Maybe aerodynamics if I start racing.
Best surface to ride on: (pavement, duh)
etc:

did anyone ever have any experience in this bike in terms of durability and parts availability please/

mopar said:
I found one of these at Wal-Mart, what do I need to know? I've got to work my budget to it though.

Gear ratios:
Air pressure:
Maybe aerodynamics if I start racing.
Best surface to ride on: (pavement, duh)
etc:
the inner tubes are iffy... you can use 700 x 25c tubes with presta valve to replace them.

you will need to adjust the gears (or have an LBS do for you) because walmarts are generally known for not putting the bike together correctly (actually you will need to go over the whole bike because of that...

go to www.amazon.com and do a search on "gmc road bike"... it has reviews of the bike from others that have bought it there...

you will find that the bike is very very low end, I don't think racing it is really that feasible... its kind of like getting a hybrid and putting road handlebars on it...

One word of advice, never buy ANY bike at massive retailers like Walmart. You would be much better off going to your LBS and buying the cheapest road bike there than buying one from Walmart.

Think about it...its WALMART!

thanks for the input guys.

so they dont send them new in walmart like in a box so i can assemble them myself?

would u guys offer something a little higher like a schwinn varsity or a dawes lightning sport road bike from ebay?

cause i went to LBS and the cheapest i saw was $750

s14 said:
i guess no one even wants to try this out eh
No thanks. This bike weighs a whopping 35 pounds. Even the schwinn varsities at walmart weigh close to 25.

I'd seriously consider buying a second hand bike that might be just a little worn. IMO, buying used, or atleast last years model is the best bet in biking.

s14 said:
i guess no one even wants to try this out eh
I bought the dawes that you are talking about and I think its a great bike, I am a fitness rider so I have put on a little over 500 miles on it... it is a bike very similar to the 80's type of bikes... except its new and not used (I have had problems with buying a used bike...)

its lighter than the denali but heavier than a higher end road bike.
its got indexed stem shifters rather than "brifters" (but I like that and wanted it...)
its got 14 speeds rather than 21 (which I didn't care about...)
its got a freewheel design rather than a freehub... not really that bad but is not as durable as a "freehub"...

if you are a beginner or maybe a even beyond that doesn't want to spend the amount an LBS would charge for a road bike, this is the one for you...

DO NOT GET IT, walmart ,target, and other stores like that make BAD (ugly way) bikes, you should go to a bike shop and get a mid-end bike, the way i got my bike was begging my parents to get the 479$ specialized HR sport disc, it is niceeeeee (like rice!)... uh... lol... trust me, im 13, i bought a bike from walmart and broke it 1 week later, then i got the specialized and it still isnt breaking(except cables.... but they got replaced at the 30-day bike check-up at the bike shop.

motorex259 said:
DO NOT GET IT, walmart ,target, and other stores like that make BAD (ugly way) bikes, you should go to a bike shop and get a mid-end bike, the way i got my bike was begging my parents to get the 479$ specialized HR sport disc, it is niceeeeee (like rice!)... uh... lol... trust me, im 13, i bought a bike from walmart and broke it 1 week later, then i got the specialized and it still isnt breaking(except cables.... but they got replaced at the 30-day bike check-up at the bike shop.
so I have to ask, how did you break it?

cruzing and for some reason the frame bent in half really close from the suspention mount....

motorex259 said:
cruzing and for some reason the frame bent in half really close from the suspention mount....
hmmm ok, sounds like you bought one of them "mountain bikes" from walmart?
because the denali doesn't have a suspension mount...

If you buy a walmart bike, and try and race it, you will.....

#1 want a real road bike

#2 whether you are aware or not, you will hate the fit, they put no time into designing it

#3 you will break some part of it

#4 you'll hate the brakes and downtube or whatever **** shifters they use.

bobbyOCR said:
If you buy a walmart bike, and try and race it, you will.....

#1 want a real road bike

#2 whether you are aware or not, you will hate the fit, they put no time into designing it

#3 you will break some part of it

#4 you'll hate the brakes and downtube or whatever **** shifters they use.
#1 that may be so, but that is usually dictated by amount of money one has.
#2 that also depends, for a novice you have to be somewhat careful about fit but by the same token, I know of a guy that was very comfortable on a schwinn varsity (the new cheapie one) compared to a very high end bike that he owned.

#3 to be fair here, there is a guy, cigtech, on bikeforums.net that has a review of the denali, and he has over 4000 (yes thats correct) miles on the thing.

#4 the brakes can be solved by buying new brake pads, the shifters are something that are kind of ugly. But I also have a trek 7200 that has grip shifters and they are kind of ugly when making a shift from the middle ring to the big ring in the front and for quite a bit more money. If you can handle cables you can replace the shifters with something else as well, for not alot of money.

e0richt said:
#1 that may be so, but that is usually dictated by amount of money one has.
#2 that also depends, for a novice you have to be somewhat careful about fit but by the same token, I know of a guy that was very comfortable on a schwinn varsity (the new cheapie one) compared to a very high end bike that he owned.

#3 to be fair here, there is a guy, cigtech, on bikeforums.net that has a review of the denali, and he has over 4000 (yes thats correct) miles on the thing.

#4 the brakes can be solved by buying new brake pads, the shifters are something that are kind of ugly. But I also have a trek 7200 that has grip shifters and they are kind of ugly when making a shift from the middle ring to the big ring in the front and for quite a bit more money. If you can handle cables you can replace the shifters with something else as well, for not alot of money.
I know you can make it work, but that doesn't excuse the fact it is kind of a **** bike. Going for something like an OCR 3 or anything with Sora would be a much better idea for a beginner.

And Schwinns have very comfortable geometry.

bobbyOCR said:
I know you can make it work, but that doesn't excuse the fact it is kind of a **** bike. Going for something like an OCR 3 or anything with Sora would be a much better idea for a beginner.

And Schwinns have very comfortable geometry.
I think that based on the value for the cost, its not a **** bike. Its only a **** bike in your opinion because you would spend the extra money. I don't think anyone thinks they are getting a high end bike for 150.00... now, if you are trying to say that the new Schwinn Varsity is a better deal because for 50.00 more you get a much better machine? that could be closer on the mark and I would find that info of use.

please understand that I am not saying that your OCR 3 is not a good value but that it does cost more for that value. For that matter, a pinarello can be a great value depending on what you want in a bike for the money you can afford.

just for curiosity how much is a base level ocr 3?

for my perspective, I would consider using one of these lower end bikes as a commuter to just get from here to there and not have to worry if someone would steal it.

Commuter? Yeah. I use a singlespeed converted generic chinese Hi-Ten mtb frame to commute. It is great fun to ride.

A base level Sora bike (OCR 3 is only an example) would be around $500US. Like the Tommaso Imola which is great value.

bobbyOCR said:
Commuter? Yeah. I use a singlespeed converted generic chinese Hi-Ten mtb frame to commute. It is great fun to ride.

A base level Sora bike (OCR 3 is only an example) would be around $500US. Like the Tommaso Imola which is great value.
oh there is one thing that I forgot to mention is that the GMC line does have a bike that has Sora components. Its the "Yukon" and you can get more info on that from "Amazon.com" do a search for "GMC road bike".

I think it goes for a little over 300..

Yeah, but only the shifters are Sora, it weighs a friggin ton, but would be better for starting than the Denali.

With a full Sora bike, you usually get a carbon fork and they make a good difference in comfort. You also get much better wheels, and other parts like cranks, headset, bars, stem, cassette, chain and they are 8 speed not 7 speed (which isn't really that big a difference. Its just easier to find 8 speed parts). And it'll weigh ~20lb not 26